Huh!

Tama Suki

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 853 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

1 minute ago, Tama Suki said:

In the culture I come from, charity under certain conditions can be considered a form of contempt.
Of course I know this is not the case. But there is still that bitter aftertaste because I didn't ask anyone for anything.
Maybe I should stop considering SL a more or less faithful projection of reality and consider it as a slot machine in Las Vegas?

I find that it helps to think of SL as a foreign country.  When I am traveling outside my own country, I expect to encounter behavior that is strange to me, so I try very hard not to project my own cultural understandings onto what I am seeing.  I bite my tongue a lot, and I choose my own words carefully.  And I still make mistakes and hope that the natives are tolerant.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Doris Johnsky said:

I am powerfully agnostic.  If someone says Merry Christmas to me I reply in kind.

Almost all of the concepts expressed in the many religions can be applied equally well just for the sake of their sentiment, without having to accept the deities supposedly behind them.

It took me ages to realise that the English expression "Great Scott" was nothing too do with our dead Antartic explorer, but was the German for "Good God".

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Tama Suki said:

But I don't understand the Merry Christmas part because that's not the topic in question.

"Merry Christmas" is as much an expression of kindness as it is a religious greeting.  For many people, "Merry Christmas" means much the same as "Peace on Earth; Good will toward men."  It is like what I understand the Arabic "Salaam" to mean.

2 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

"Merry Christmas" is as much an expression of kindness as it is a religious greeting.  For many people, "Merry Christmas" means much the same as "Peace on Earth; Good will toward men."  It is like what I understand the Arabic "Salaam" to mean.

Yes I understand but I have never mentioned "Merry Christmas" in my thread.

1 minute ago, Rolig Loon said:

That's fine. Please accept that others have wished you "Merry Christmas". 

Of course! And I wish everyone a wonderful Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. Sincerely.
But I was talking about a complete stranger who gave me Lindens.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Tama Suki said:

Of course! And I wish everyone a wonderful Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. Sincerely.

"Christmas" is relevant here because it explains why you were given Lindens by a complete stranger.

The messages all apparently mention "Moosemas," which is clearly a humorous reference to "Christmas."

Whether you are Christian or not (I am not, myself), Christmas is traditionally seen as a time for charity, generosity, and kindness.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Tama Suki said:

I was talking about a complete stranger who gave me Lindens.

Maybe it was not a complete stranger, but an anonymous friend.  At the risk of saying something that might be interpreted as a religious sentiment rather than advice about how to live a good life, I offer the Biblical quotation, "Do not forget to entertain strangers, for thereby some have encountered angels without knowing it."  😇

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Rolig Loon said:

I offer the Biblical quotation, "Do not forget to entertain strangers, for thereby some have encountered angels without knowing it." 

I think the Koran has a similar sentiment along the lines of "be courteous to strangers for you know not who they might be"

• Like 2

Christmas has nothing to do with money.
Charity is done to the poor and not to those who can afford to play in Second Life.
Having said that, the discussion is closed for me and I will no longer answer anyone.
Feel free to use my post as a sandbox and have fun.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

19 minutes ago, Tama Suki said:

Giving you the Ls was that person's way of saying Merry Christmas perhaps because you may not have an SL MP Wishlist.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

Giving you the Ls was that person's way of saying Merry Christmas perhaps because you may not have an SL MP Wishlist.

She doesn't. I just checked.

I think there may be a cultural divide at work here.

In any case, Tama, happy whatever it is that you DO celebrate!

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 853 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.