What if we could all map each other?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3513 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

and idea stolen from Ms. I.N.G. Sideways who brought up mapping in a recent thread :matte-motes-smile:

I believe I heard (maybe incorrectly?) that when SL was born everyone could "map" everyone else.  Maybe that is a great idea!  I wonder how different  SL would be?  Would people be better behaved or worse?  More alt creation?  I think it would be interesting and if SL instituted a annual "everyone can map everyone" week it could be alot of fun.

Ah, so there are / were bugs that allowed to see anyone's location on the map?

A long time ago, a griefer managed to follow me around as I teleported from one sim to the next to get away from them and it lasted through a few tps until I logged off and back on. I always wondered how that could have happened.

I tought of it myself some weeks ago, cause I play a game where it is possible to see in which region someone is plus seeing when someone is online by putting him or her on the friendlist (you don´t need to ask like in sl and he or she don´t get to know). It works fine, but the game isn´t conectet to drama like sl.

I am not sure if the users in sl are able to handle with such features. I sadly think it would lead to stalking and such things. Hunting people to bully and so on. "Hey, who is that man, who talks to you?" "You visited a whore?!" "Why do you stare at that stripper and give her so much money?" Think you know what I mean ;)

In the end people will get more carefully in who they trust and create more alts to do the "bad" things.

Hello Nacy. Under the suitable conditions maybe. Being for years in another virtual world where mapping is allowed between friends, i prefer SL. In SL you can give this right only to people who trust (See me on map). So why this to be available for all? I don't like this kind of "surprises". If it was possible for everyone, i can say confidently that it is very rude to teleport somewhere to meet someone without permisson. For me it 's a proof of disrespect.

@Syo: I think which game you play :smileywink:

Fenimore Hapmouche wrote:

Ah, so there are / were bugs that allowed to see anyone's location on the map?

A long time ago, a griefer managed to follow me around as I teleported from one sim to the next to get away from them and it lasted through a few tps until I logged off and back on. I always wondered how that could have happened.

Oh, one bug was in a new LSL function from 1.18, it was only supposed to see an avatar's location in the same sim, but it still worked for one call after a teleport far away. That was later fixed to only work a few dozen meters into a neighbor region.

Also some people noticed that the IM protocol included location information and exploited that too. Now the protocol blanks out the information for avatars but still includes it for objects.

Even with my closest friends, that allow me to see them on map, or using Phoenix’ radar that allow me TPto anyone in the sim, I always ask first by IM if I can go to them. In fact, I prefer to no even ask to, and wait for an invitation. I only ask to if it is somewhat important to me, not only to seek company or see what they are doing. But unfortunately many people don’t think about other’s desires to stay alone or do something without voyeurs around.

What's the point of it?  I mean, I find it useful with a few close friends so that I can locate them if we're out shopping or something and get separated, and so I can check if they're somewhere they're unlikely to want to be disturbed if I'm thinking IMing them.   But otherwise, I've no particular interest in knowing where people are, and I can't imagine that many people spend their time wondering if I'm in one of our shops or my building platform or at a club or whatever.

While there is no real privacy in SL it wouldnt matter that friends can see me on the map. But it´s more likely people would abuse this feature for stalking reasons.

I have set this for only 3 people, very close friends and still, sometimes i am annoyed when they just teleport in working on something or teleporting around searching things. Prefer if people ask me in IM before meet.

But i kinda like the idea of having mapping rights for lets say a "hunt the cheats" weekend :smileyvery-happy:

no not really :smileywink:

Sorry, but I think it's a rotten idea. Not only would my myriad of toy-boy lovers (well, for me, between 40 and 50 is a toy-boy) find out about one another, people, in awe over my ground-breaking trend-setting taste in fashions, would be tempted to track me down to find out where I shop.

"

Sorry, but I think it's a rotten idea. Not only would my myriad of toy-boy lovers (well, for me, between 40 and 50 is a toy-boy) find out about one another, people, in awe over my ground-breaking trend-setting taste in fashions, would be tempted to track me down to find out where I shop."

Well that was kind of where I was going with this...to find the REAL Carole and steal some of her slovers,  or more important find out where she buys those fab fuzzy bunny slippers!

That or a scheduled week of total chaos.  I kinda miss being orbited.

Well, listen missy - find your own toy-boy 50 year olds and don't think for a moment  that the name of the designer of my hawt couture slippers will ever be made known to you. Happily, I tie-dyed my silks myself in the bath, so they're truly unique pieces and you're wasting your time if you're trudging round all the shops looking for a similar set!

"Well, listen missy - find your own toy-boy 50 year olds and don't think for a moment  that the name of the designer of my hawt couture slippers will ever be made known to you. Happily, I tie-dyed my silks myself in the bath, so they're truly unique pieces and you're wasting your time if you're trudging round all the shops looking for a similar set!"

1) ferget it.....50 years old is coasting too close to being a minor for me.  I can't take the risk of breaking the TOS or getting arrested.  I'm from the US and they are very strict about such things here.

2) Now tell me exactly how you did the tie dye thing...were you actually taking a bath at the same time? :matte-motes-smile:  I thought I noticed you sporting a tie-dye  hippie-tattoo around the neck of your avatar...was that the result of bathing while "tie-dying one on"?

bad idea.....it reminds me of big brother and his plan to install a chip in my head to monitor my RL coming and going..((btw   if my RL parole officer Hymie Lipschitz is listening in..."Don't get any big ideas, Bub..I'm not even gonna wear that stupid ankle monitor you keep yapping about))   Power to the People

• 4 weeks later...

It used to be, fairly recently, that you could map (and track) anyone, regardless of permissions.  You had to use a third-party Viewer.   Maybe LL fixed that.

My guess is that you can still do it, but you have to use a third-party Viewer that is not registered with LL, and that claims that it's some other authorized Viewer software.

I know this worked: a griefer demonstrated it to me (and I'm technical enough to understand exactly what was going on).  Not sure if LL fixed the bug (?) that made it possible.

I would answer the "What if...?" question this way:  It would not be fun.

Most of the time I'm in my homestead sim which doesn't have public access, so I wouldn't really mind if people were able to track me there. They can pretty much do that already. Just check if I'm online (using Phoenix or an online tracker HUD) and look up Esoteric Euphoria on the world map. If there's a green dot, that's probably me.

It would not bother me but I can see it being abused by stalkers. Another things is I find people do not have manners any more and just TP'ing to anyone announced or asking if it is ok is just plain rude. It is like walking into someones house without knocking and  waiting for an invitation.

It's a preemptive comment.

"What are you hiding" is the typical response from individuals who do not understand or value Liberty and want to take your's away.

I would agree that allowing all Residents to show on the map would stop 50% of the BS and drama. Hundreds would be busted in their lies, thousands would be heartbroken and dumbfounded. SL would record it highest single month of account cancellations on record. The soap opera that is the human condition would migrate to the next suitable environment.

Real change might start with a simple notice:

Welcome to Second Life, you can hide your visibility on the World Map but if a Resident really cares, they will eventually discover that you are lying to them, so don't be a liar in your SL.  

How is that? Any gray areas?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3513 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.