Private land

trenthenning

Question

6 answers to this question

1 hour ago, trenthenning said:

Apologies for the question if deemed dumb.

I am considering buying a full private island of 64Km2 from Linden.

Do I pay tier AND maintenance fees on this per month?

Thanks 

Tier references mainland ownership.  For.private estate ownership, start here...

Edited by Rowan Amore
  • Like 1

Most people don't own full regions, @trenthenning. And by the way, they are not 64 square kilometers. A region is 256 meters on a side, giving an area of 65, 536 square meters.

But most people don't need that much land, unless they have some idea of how they can make it pay for itself.  A parcel of just 4096 square meters gives enough room for a large home and landscaping. Or you can get a Linden Home on 1,024 sq. meters. They aren't huge, but are enough for a great many people.

If you really think you need that much room, but can get by with fewer objects, consider renting a Homestead region from a private estate owner. They can be rented for about $150 USD per month. They have the same size as a full region, but have 1/4 the object carrying capacity.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, trenthenning said:

Thanks mate,

And there goes that dream!

When did obscene pricing enter Linden World:) And add to this, the US to AUD conversion and I'm outta here!

Thanks for saving me from bankruptcy

as Lindal already said... you don't nééd to buy a full region. A majority of residents have a little piece of mainland, or rent from other residents. ( in all possible sizes, from full regions/homesteads to 512 sqm ..)

Again, for most.. a part of a region is more than enough to live on, so don't think SL is full of millionaires that all own private regions.

On 12/21/2021 at 3:07 PM, Lindal Kidd said:

Most people don't own full regions, @trenthenning. And by the way, they are not 64 square kilometers. A region is 256 meters on a side, giving an area of 65, 536 square meters.

But most people don't need that much land, unless they have some idea of how they can make it pay for itself.  A parcel of just 4096 square meters gives enough room for a large home and landscaping. Or you can get a Linden Home on 1,024 sq. meters. They aren't huge, but are enough for a great many people.

If you really think you need that much room, but can get by with fewer objects, consider renting a Homestead region from a private estate owner. They can be rented for about $150 USD per month. They have the same size as a full region, but have 1/4 the object carrying capacity.

Thanks and yes, I understand it is not KMs (my abbreviation of K = 1000).

But I am still confused as my original question was:

Just now, trenthenning said:

Thanks and yes, I understand it is not KMs (my abbreviation of K = 1000).

But I am still confused as my original question was:

Oh, OK, I thought that had already been made clear. The answer is, it sort of depends on how you define "tier", but you definitely don't pay two monthly fees.

Strictly speaking, "tier" only applies to Mainland. Moreover, LL defines "tier" not as the payment itself, but the ability to own a given amount of Mainland. You could be in the 4096 tier level, but if you actually owned only 2048 square meters of Mainland, you'd only pay $13 USD per month, not $22.

But most of us ignore that fine distinction, and call whatever we're paying LL for our land our "tier payment".

Anyway, when you buy a Private Region from LL, you aren't dealing with Mainland at all any more. Instead, you pay the monthly "maintenance fee" on the region.  That can vary, depending on whether the region is a Full region, a Homestead Region, or a (no longer available) OpenSpace region, plus whether the region is "grandfathered", whether you're paying the extra fee for an additional Land Impact allowance, and whether you qualify for the 50% nonprofit and educational organization discount.