Does gender matter?

Tama Suki

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 147 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

3 hours ago, Katherine Heartsong said:

I'm maybe? changing my thinking a bit around the whole larger issue of gender mattering in SL, and wondering if I'm being a bit too rigid with my honest approach. Now I am wondering if I should consider the following ...

1) If I'm personally asked about my RL gender I'm now kind of thinking that it's okay to either be 100% transparent (my usual pattern) or tell you it's not really important in the context of an interaction or to mind you own business, but I still won't outright lie or lie by omission. If "Is that really important?" as an answer upsets you or limits how you want to interact with me, then off you go, you're probably not the kind of open-minded compassionate person I want to hang with anyway.

2) We're not ever meeting/hooking up in RL, so my RL physical sex or gender expression doesn't matter even in a relationship? What matters to me in SL is how people treat one another, whether in a friend or romantic or sexual partnership, and that comes from your emotions and feelings and behaviour and actions, and none of those are dictated by your RL sex or gender. So why does the gender behind the keys matter? If it does, I'm thinking that says more about your capacity to care/love/be empathic or your own fragile sense of your sexuality and gender identity than it does about mine.

Am I wrong? Silly? Naive? Let me know what you think, thanks!

Thank you, so much! That's EXACTLY my point. I mean, sure, it matters to my fiance and I, but they know and they're only 17 miles away. They're also one of the very few people I'll talk to on voice, simply because of the anxiety thing. Every time someone tries to 'demand' or 'ask' me to voice verify, several things go through my head.

1. Ummm.. No. I don't know you, that makes me feel VERY uncomfortable.
2. Why? We're never going to meet up, in person.
3. No. That's an invasion of my privacy. 

Like this one individual. He'd purposefully get on and try to demand I speak. It would drive my anxiety so wild Id almost freak out.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Orwar said:

Italian cuisine is overrated.

I would love to know what exactly people think “Italian” cuisine is all about. Pasta, pizza, risotto and variations on the theme is to Italian cuisine what smörgåsbord is to Swedish I would imagine.

My mother was from Friuli (northeastern most region of Italy) and was of Austrian background. The stuff people eat in the mountains of Friuli or Tirol is very different from what people in Naples would eat on a daily basis.

Game (all kind even deer), fennel bread, polenta, mushrooms, raw milk based cheese, knödel in broth and so forth are probably not what you would typically imagine Piero or Giovanni eating for dinner. Yet it’s Italian cuisine. Same as trippa (tripe) from Rome, cow’s spleen and lung sandwich (Meusa) from Sicily or casu marzu (rotten cheese) from Sardinia. Beside the weird foods there’s a lot of delicious ones too like arancini, strudel, chiacchere and many others that come from all the different regions.

I’m vegan so won’t eat most of the above but it’s a bit annoying when Italy is bagged into a one-size-fits-all mish-mash of stereotypes. It still is a nation made of several different cultures and ethnicities, every one bringing their traditions and background to the table (hello Krampus 😅).

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Krystina Ferraris said:
7 hours ago, Tama Suki said:

I can't consider people who use pre-cooked canned chicken

I never watch tv but must take a peep at this… that sounds totally disgusting 🤢 

You should check out Sandra Lee's Semi-Homemade for more torture. The series will make you hurl. 😂

Edited by Eddy Vortex
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Krystina Ferraris said:

I would love to know what exactly people think “Italian” cuisine is all about. Pasta, pizza, risotto and variations on the theme is to Italian cuisine what smörgåsbord is to Swedish I would imagine.

My mother was from Friuli (northeastern most region of Italy) and was of Austrian background. The stuff people eat in the mountains of Friuli or Tirol is very different from what people in Naples would eat on a daily basis.

Game (all kind even deer), fennel bread, polenta, mushrooms, raw milk based cheese, knödel in broth and so forth are probably not what you would typically imagine Piero or Giovanni eating for dinner. Yet it’s Italian cuisine. Same as trippa (tripe) from Rome, cow’s spleen and lung sandwich (Meusa) from Sicily or casu marzu (rotten cheese) from Sardinia. Beside the weird foods there’s a lot of delicious ones too like arancini, strudel, chiacchere and many others that come from all the different regions.

I’m vegan so won’t eat most of the above but it’s a bit annoying when Italy is bagged into a one-size-fits-all mish-mash of stereotypes. It still is a nation made of several different cultures and ethnicities, every one bringing their traditions and background to the table (hello Krampus 😅).

@Orwar was just looking for a fight.
The stable trolls on this forum don't deserve the attention you've given them, much less some cultural revelation they're not worthy of, believe me.

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, Eddy Vortex said:

Sandra Lee's Semi-Homemade series will make you hurl. 😂

Luckily for me I don't know what you're talking about. 😂
Gordon Ramsay is simply a pan burner (Italian slang which means a cook who doesn't understand s*it).
Instead I have seen some Jamie Oliver shows and I have to admit that he is not a fool. I think he's a pretty good, appreciable one.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Tama Suki said:

Luckily for me I don't know what you're talking about. 😂
Gordon Ramsay is simply a pan burner (Italian slang which means a cook who doesn't understand s*it).
Instead I have seen some Jamie Oliver shows and I have to admit that he is not a fool. I think he's a pretty good, appreciable one.

I agree on Jamie Oliver, he's not a pasticcione! I have never seen Gordon Ramsey at work except in memes 😂

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Krystina Ferraris said:

I agree on Jamie Oliver, he's not a pasticcione! I have never seen Gordon Ramsey at work except in memes 😂

Many years ago I worked in London at the Sofitel, in Pall mall. There was a French cheff, a complete idiot capable of putting 3 ounces of butter in a risotto.
Years later of course I saw him on a TV show proclaimed as a great cheff.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Tama Suki said:

Many years ago I worked in London at the Sofitel, in Pall mall. There was a French cheff, a complete idiot capable of putting 3 ounces of butter in a risotto.
Years later of course I saw him on a TV show proclaimed as a great cheff.

You don't put butter in your risotto? 

7 hours ago, Tama Suki said:

Very true, as is the Japanese one.
And I'll tell you more, it is also too inflated and glorified. To tell you all, I'm not a great lover of cooking in general.
But it is good, genuine and above all healthy.
Few countries can compete with the quality and tradition of Italian cuisine.
This is not because we are more clever than others on this issue. It is because we have been lucky to have a millenary history of typical products and traditions.

A short film on Italian millenary history:

• Confused 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 147 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.