Does gender matter?

Tama Suki

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 149 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

3 minutes ago, Tama Suki said:

I'm interested because I don't like using the voice in Second Life either, but it doesn't bother me who uses it, above all I don't insult or threaten them.

I dont insult people in SL lol. so

far, never.

other people insulting me yes, i dont reply them.

Edited by Kalegthepsionicist

1 minute ago, Drake1 Nightfire said:

You dont say? 

You do realize that your forum log in is linked to your SL log in, right? Same account.. Unless you use an alt account for the forums, the name would be the same. 

yes i know. i dont have alt .

34 minutes ago, Kalegthepsionicist said:

I dont insult people in SL lol. so

far, never.

other people insulting me yes, i dont reply them.

Maybe you were just joking and weren't serious. But LunaRavencroft was so polite and sincere that your joke seemed inappropriate to me.

11 minutes ago, Tama Suki said:

Maybe you were just joking and weren't serious. But LunaRavencroft was so polite and sincere that your joke seemed inappropriate to me.

I have few friend inworld that know me and thats enough 😀.

well I ve been told to never get everything serious in SL, .

6 hours ago, Fluffy Sharkfin said:

*Sigh!*

Art, and the appreciation of it, are entirely subjective and as such it can be argued that there is no good or bad art, as long as one person appreciates a piece of art then it can't really be considered "bad". 

There are however good and bad artists, but in my opinion those labels have nothing to do with the quality of their work, only their attitude.  A good artist will strive to improve and spend many hours trying to perfect their art, often sharing it with others in order to receive constructive criticism and learn new techniques, and in return will try to help other artists by offering encouragement and sharing what they've learned themselves in order to help their fellow artists.  Conversely a bad artist looks down on other peoples artistic endeavours and constantly berates them , preferring to tear down the work of others rather than holding their own up for scrutiny.

A DJ is not an artist, especially if they don't make their own music. They are basically a radio jockey, the people who work at the radio stations. You know who are the artists. The music producers, the song writers and the singers. Art is subjective, but simply just changing a song, is not art.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, Solar Legion said:

Ah yes ... knowing what music meshes well together to set a mood, knowing how to tell a story by putting together a set list (if need be) and such isn't a form of art ...

Sit down.

There are those who say that cooking is art. At most science is involved, there is certainly also inspiration. but the art itself is something else.

• Confused 1

36 minutes ago, Kalegthepsionicist said:

I have few friend inworld that know me and thats enough 😀.

well I ve been told to never get everything serious in SL, .

So, you see fit to be rude, and inconsiderate of people. You also seem to take pride in being a pompous jerk. Just like my RL stepdad.

Do take note, there is simply no reason to be rude, inconsiderate, or to be a pompous jerk here. It serves no purpose.

The word of the day is.. Disappoint.

ANYWAY..... What is, or isn't art?.... Anything can be considered art.

Edited by LunaRavencroft
Realized it didn't sound how I wanted.
  • Like 3

14 minutes ago, LunaRavencroft said:

So, you see fit to be rude, and inconsiderate of people. You also seem to take pride in being a pompous jerk. Just like my RL stepdad.

Do take note, there is simply no reason to be rude, inconsiderate, or to be a pompous jerk here. It serves no purpose.

The word of the day is.. Disappoint.

okay.. each people have stabdard , I have mine, actually no need to feel offended since we never meet inworld.

Edited by Kalegthepsionicist

1 hour ago, Tama Suki said:

There are those who say that cooking is art. At most science is involved, there is certainly also inspiration. but the art itself is something else.

it is an art. making the right flavor profile pop in a dish, plating that dish to be appealing to the eye as well as the nose and tongue is certainly an art. Sure, you can just slop the food on a plate, but it is more appealing to make it look as good as it tastes. Thats all art is, something appealing to someone. 

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, Solar Legion said:

Ah yes ... knowing what music meshes well together to set a mood, knowing how to tell a story by putting together a set list (if need be) and such isn't a form of art ...

Sit down.

It's funny - when I hear the term "DJ," I always think of the scratch and mix variety that you see in the competitive/championship circuit or the DJ/producers who center their entire musical act around some turntables (Wax Tailor, for example). The radio/event/general club DJs are never my first thought, though their work is equally important and creative. I'm too much of an audio/music nerd, methinks. I do agree with you on this 100%, of course. Even building a set list that won't confuse your audience can be a time-consuming adventure.

For anyone who hasn't seen it up close, it's way more involved than simply dropping songs in (in clubs especially). Beat matching, live mixing, monitoring, cueing, EQ, flow, and timing all have to be on point and the audience will absolutely know when you mess up, so no pressure there or anything! On the competitive side, it's about a trillion times harder as now you're basically an octopus and needing more hands than you've got. That said, whether or not it should be considered an art is something you could debate, I suppose. It is to me, but like I said - audio/music nerd in the house here. Oh, I should probably specify - I'm speaking about RL DJing. I can't say I know of any SL DJs who live mix during their shows, but then I'm a bit out of the in-world club scene these days.

Annnd as none of this has anything to do with the original question, lemme go ahead and answer that too while I'm here - no, gender doesn't matter to me in the slightest. Be anything or anyone you want in SL. 

*skips out singing "DJ please pick up your phone, I'm on the request liiiiiiiiiiiineeeeeeee"*

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Sammy Huntsman said:

A DJ is not an artist, especially if they don't make their own music. They are basically a radio jockey, the people who work at the radio stations. You know who are the artists. The music producers, the song writers and the singers. Art is subjective, but simply just changing a song, is not art.

Okay.  I'm a little unsure as to why you're quoting my post just to talk about DJs since I specifically quoted and responded to the part which referred to 'the "artists" of SL' rather than the part about DJs?

On 12/21/2021 at 1:57 PM, Tama Suki said:

My early days in SL it can be said that I was born in a Japanese sim. I don't know if anyone knows JR, now it's a desert but in those days it was a very busy place. Mostly from Japanese of course, but also many Americans and Europeans...

i was not expecting to see japan resort brought up!! i really miss that place. do you remember the officer Kazumi? i wonder how she is doing. i went there too. i thought it was gone now?

however for the original posting, no, it must not matter. unless you are being malicious, you can easily be mindful and surround yourself with others who share a common ground. it's important to express the nature of yourself and find out who you are... second life is perfect to do that without real life permanence or consequence. 😁

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Helen Somerset said:

i was not expecting to see japan resort brought up!! i really miss that place. do you remember the officer Kazumi? i wonder how she is doing. i went there too. i thought it was gone now?

however for the original posting, no, it must not matter. unless you are being malicious, you can easily be mindful and surround yourself with others who share a common ground. it's important to express the nature of yourself and find out who you are... second life is perfect to do that without real life permanence or consequence. 😁

Kazumi for sure i know. I met two officers, both American women, sure one was Kazumi. They both banned me a couple of times and then we became friends 😆 Nice peoples.
But we haven't seen each other in years and I don't know if they're still alive in SL.
JR is always there, one of those places that seem to be immortal. As far as I know the owner is daiz Papp, the same of Oracul AO.
JR was fabulous and always full of people. Then it became a desert,
and the other beautiful sims that were around are gone. I don't know why but I remember that the manager was a ***** who started to put more and more restrictive rules and to ban people for no reason. I think she is the one who destroyed that magic. She was quite popular but really hateful, i forget the name. Now she is gone since long.
I would like JR to return to the glories of the past.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Drake1 Nightfire said:

Thats all art is, something appealing to someone.

I want to try to be as honest as possible Drak1 and I don't even want to pretend to be right but I want to offer you my point of view.
This is a very broad debate and has been around for years.
In my opinion there is a groove that clearly divides art from craftsmanship. Even if I don't consider it a real art, I still consider craftsmanship a noble activity.
Cooking is a very complex activity that requires dedication, but lately it has also become something incredibly ridiculous. Most of the famous cheffs today make unacceptable crap believing they are creating art.
Cooking is not improvisation, it is tradition and quality ingredients. I've seen many of these famous cheffs literally curse by adding cheese to lobster linguine or adding cream to carbonara.
So the kitchen is craftsmanship in the same way that a decorator who specializes in stucco work is.
They have their tools limited in a specified scope and cannot invent a new technique, they simply have to do a job as best they can without being able to stray too far.
DJ is even more limited.
The DJ does not create anything, they just mix together pieces of music created by others. It is extremely difficult to meet a DJ who has a solid musical culture.
I am quite fed up with seeing the concept of art so flaky.
Art is dedication, effort, study and suffering. It is being able to effectively communicate an inner struggle, an elaboration of the spirit.
Lowering expectations and hegemonizing culture downwards is an evil in our society and that is why today, both in cinema and in music, for example, everything is flat and repetitive.
Big industry seems to have bought the patent of true art and does nothing but inflate the concept with the sole purpose of making it more usable and monetizable.
I don't think the meaning of art is "something appealing to someone". I think it is wanting to communicate something and try to do it with the tools most akin to itself. On the other hand, it seems to me since the 1950s that the concepts of "beautiful" and "ugly" have been unmasked and stripped of their original meaning in the world of art.
This is my point of view. I don't pretend to be right, but that's how I see it.

• Haha 3
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

I want to try to be as honest as possible Drak1 and I don't even want to pretend to be right but I want to offer you my point of view.
This is a very broad debate and has been around for years.
In my opinion there is a groove that clearly divides art from craftsmanship. Even if I don't consider it a real art, I still consider craftsmanship a noble activity.
Cooking is a very complex activity that requires dedication, but lately it has also become something incredibly ridiculous. Most of the famous cheffs today make unacceptable crap believing they are creating art.
Cooking is not improvisation, it is tradition and quality ingredients. I've seen many of these famous cheffs literally curse by adding cheese to lobster linguine or adding cream to carbonara.
So the kitchen is craftsmanship in the same way that a decorator who specializes in stucco work is.
They have their tools limited in a specified scope and cannot invent a new technique, they simply have to do a job as best they can without being able to stray too far.
DJ is even more limited.
The DJ does not create anything, they just mix together pieces of music created by others. It is extremely difficult to meet a DJ who has a solid musical culture.
I am quite fed up with seeing the concept of art so flaky.
Art is dedication, effort, study and suffering. It is being able to effectively communicate an inner struggle, an elaboration of the spirit.
Lowering expectations and hegemonizing culture downwards is an evil in our society and that is why today, both in cinema and in music, for example, everything is flat and repetitive.
Big industry seems to have bought the patent of true art and does nothing but inflate the concept with the sole purpose of making it more usable and monetizable.
I don't think the meaning of art is "something appealing to someone". I think it is wanting to communicate something and try to do it with the tools most akin to itself. On the other hand, it seems to me since the 1950s that the concepts of "beautiful" and "ugly" have been unmasked and stripped of their original meaning in the world of art.
This is my point of view. I don't pretend to be right, but that's how I see it.

We are going to have to agree to disagree here.. 

You need to watch more cooking shows if you think there is no improvisation in cooking.. Chopped is a prime example. 

5 minutes ago, Drake1 Nightfire said:

We are going to have to agree to disagree here.. 

You need to watch more cooking shows if you think there is no improvisation in cooking.. Chopped is a prime example. 

If you consider a program like that "cuisine" then I also understand why you consider Second Life DJs "artists".

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Tama Suki said:

If you consider a program like that "cuisine" then I also understand why you consider Second Life DJs "artists".

Ah, so only 5 star Michelin rated restaurants fall under the category of cooking? There's that elitism again.

Best food I ever ate was at a tiny hole in the wall diner in rural Maine. If it wasn't a 4 hour drive I would eat lunch there daily. Diner food, that they still took the time and energy to make look stunning on the plate. 

The chefs on Chopped take an unknown mix of ingredients and make a meal from it. If that isn't improvisation, you need to look up the definition. I didn't say it was fine dining cuisine, I said it was improv with food. Which you said wasn't possible in cooking. 

Cooking is not improvisation, it is tradition and quality ingredients.

• Like 3

funny you keep asking for understanding, but don't stop being extremely rude and condescending about others.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Alwin Alcott said:

funny you keep asking for understanding, but don't stop being extremely rude and condescending about others.

I don't think it's a prudent move for an American to start arguing about cooking with an Italian.

1 hour ago, Drake1 Nightfire said:

so only 5 star Michelin rated restaurants fall under the category of cooking?

I never said that. In fact, I consider the old cheap trattorias in the Jewish quarter of Rome the best places were to eat.

1 hour ago, Drake1 Nightfire said:

The chefs on Chopped

I can't consider people who use pre-cooked canned chicken and barbeque sauce, cheffs.
That program is pure rubbish.

Edited by Tama Suki
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Krystina Ferraris said:

I think Alwin is Dutch though? 

But I was talking about @Drake1 Nightfire
Alwin (who I consider a pleasant person) unfortunately intervenes in my threads almost exclusively to create flame and engage anger, you will see that soon the rest of the gang will come to give him support. 😆

• Haha 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 149 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.