Does gender matter?

Tama Suki

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 153 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

9 hours ago, Kalegthepsionicist said:

I much respect people that do voice actuallt

well some my friend dj they talk, and I trust them more than other avatar, its very possible they have alt that not do voices,  but my respect ges to the voice avatar than ninja avatar with many faces.

imho

Thank you, for your opinion. 

However.. .

Insinuating that just because someone chooses not to voice, that they're somehow untrustworthy is rude. If we were to ever meet, inworld, and you tried to 'make' me voice, I'd leave and send you an IM, or just block you. Why? Because, I suffer from severe anxiety. It takes ALOT for me to be able to muster up the courage to even interact with people on mic, much less to turn mine on and join them. Those without an anxiety disorder don't seem to understand that.

Anyway, have a nice day. I'm out to wait for the coming winter storm.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

On 12/20/2021 at 1:30 PM, Tama Suki said:

Do you think it is right to always represent yourself to everyone as a woman even if you are not in reality?

It is a question of ethics, and being that ethics is highly subjective the question has no objective answer.  For some people the answer will be yes, some will be no, some will be mixed, others will be a little more complicated.  I am an anarchist at heart when it comes to expressing yourself, so long as you do not impose your will on others.  My own sense of ethics on this matter is that people should not be forced into an identity role they do not wish to partake in.

I feel that if you wish to use a female cyborg avatar, there is no cause for concern and the fabric of reality will not be torn asunder where there will be fire and brimstone coming down from the skies, Rivers and seas boiling, forty years of darkness! Earthquakes, volcanoes, the dead rising from the grave, human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... MASS HYSTERIA!

Surely, some people will act as though it is the end of the world, and your intentions are those of a miscreant - but you will find that with just about anything when it comes a variety of subjects.  My own view is that you should just enjoy this relatively short life on your own terms, while trying your best not to hurt others in the process.

Edited by Istelathis
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Sammy Huntsman said:

When did occupations become gender identities?

They didn't. Was merely pointing that it's SL. You can be what you want.

Though, some that call themselves djs, on SL, wouldn't be able to hold a candle to a dj in real life. A few come to mind, but, they won't be named here. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LunaRavencroft said:

They didn't. Was merely pointing that it's SL. You can be what you want.

Though, some that call themselves djs, on SL, wouldn't be able to hold a candle to a dj in real life. A few come to mind, but, they won't be named here. 

I guess that would depend on the type of DJ you are talking about.. I get the feeling you are talking about those elitist jerks that think the only people that can claim the name dj are the ones that use a turntable and mix music. 

Sadly, they are the newest ones to claim the name DJ. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Drake1 Nightfire said:

I guess that would depend on the type of DJ you are talking about.. I get the feeling you are talking about those elitist jerks that think the only people that can claim the name dj are the ones that use a turntable and mix music. 

Sadly, they are the newest ones to claim the name DJ. 

I have a very bad opinion of DJs even IRL.
Those of SL will certainly be the same as the "artists" of SL, that is, the incompetent who do not have the slightest idea of the tools they should know.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Tama Suki said:

same as the "artists" of SL, that is, the incompetent who do not have the slightest idea of the tools they should know.

*Sigh!*

Art, and the appreciation of it, are entirely subjective and as such it can be argued that there is no good or bad art, as long as one person appreciates a piece of art then it can't really be considered "bad". 

There are however good and bad artists, but in my opinion those labels have nothing to do with the quality of their work, only their attitude.  A good artist will strive to improve and spend many hours trying to perfect their art, often sharing it with others in order to receive constructive criticism and learn new techniques, and in return will try to help other artists by offering encouragement and sharing what they've learned themselves in order to help their fellow artists.  Conversely a bad artist looks down on other peoples artistic endeavours and constantly berates them , preferring to tear down the work of others rather than holding their own up for scrutiny.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Fluffy Sharkfin said:

*Sigh!*

Art, and the appreciation of it, are entirely subjective and as such it can be argued that there is no good or bad art, as long as one person appreciates a piece of art then it can't really be considered "bad". 

There are however good and bad artists, but in my opinion those labels have nothing to do with the quality of their work, only their attitude.  A good artist will strive to improve and spend many hours trying to perfect their art, often sharing it with others in order to receive constructive criticism and learn new techniques, and in return will try to help other artists by offering encouragement and sharing what they've learned themselves in order to help their fellow artists.  Conversely a bad artist looks down on other peoples artistic endeavours and constantly berates them , preferring to tear down the work of others rather than holding their own up for scrutiny.

Oh are you really?
So tell me what it's like to be a DJ in Second Life?
What is the program where rhythm loops are copied and pasted?
Is that art?

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Fluffy Sharkfin said:

*Sigh!*

I know this is not the right place for it, but you should check "The Death of the Author" (Roland Barthes, 1967), or a summary of it, even the wikipedia one, it is a great topic that is still being debated in the art/academic circles.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Tama Suki I'm not a DJ, nor did I ever claim to be one.  I am simply someone that appreciates art and the enormous amount of time and effort that people invest in trying to perfect their skills and can recognize that in the vast majority of art communities an attitude such as yours would be considered entirely unacceptable and would simply not be toleratated!

Edited by Fluffy Sharkfin
  • Like 5

I choose not to voice for a few reasons, one I have kids who do not need *language* and two it ruins the the *picture* of SL for me. I have voiced before but only with one person that I had known and been involved with in SL for over 10 years.

I stopped even connecting to a mic in fact. If someone is offended because of it I understand and I am sorry but that's on them. If I even have sound on it's because I am listening to SL music.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Fluffy Sharkfin said:

@Tama Suki I'm not a DJ, nor did I ever claim to be one.  I am simply someone that appreciates art and the enormous amount of time and effort that people invest in trying to perfect their skills and can recognize that in the vast majority of art communities an attitude such as yours would be considered entirely unacceptable and would simply not be toleratated!

I do not know whether to laugh or cry.
When in doubt I'm going to have a beer and goodnight.

I am not going to discuss art with those who think that an artist is an artist only if he is part of a "community".
Think if Leonardo or Picasso or Hemingway or Henry Scott Tuke needed to be part of a community of teenagers to feel like artists in order to do what they did.
I'm rolling my eyes!
I'm sick of reading certain naiveté.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Tama Suki said:

I do not know whether to laugh or cry.
When in doubt I'm going to have a beer and goodnight.

I am not going to discuss art with those who think that an artist is an artist only if he is part of a "community".
Think if Leonardo or Picasso or Hemingway or Henry Scott Tuke needed to be part of a community of teenagers to feel like artists in order to do what they did.
I'm rolling my eyes!
I'm sick of reading certain naiveté.

The examples you gave all were part of different communities and movements!!  Im sure there are hermit artists out there, but the ones you mentioned were certainly not that. They lived and died, defined by their conformity or transgressions in their communities, defining them even.  Do you even know what you are talking about?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Tama Suki said:

facepalm-crowd.gif

That´s a good movie, one of the few sequels that lives up to the first in the franchise.

And thats exactly the reaction when you say that Leonardo or Picasso werent a part of a community, like, do you even know who they were ?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tama Suki said:

I have a very bad opinion of DJs even IRL.
Those of SL will certainly be the same as the "artists" of SL, that is, the incompetent who do not have the slightest idea of the tools they should know.

Speaking of Tools...

That is exactly what i am talking about. "Only those DJs who use the proper technology that i deem as proper are true DJs!" 

Newsflash. If I stream music at a club, and take requests, I am a DJ. The only "tool" a DJ needs is proper licensing. And yes, you need it in SL as well. I would be willing to bet that a very very very small percentage of DJs in SL actually have it. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Drake1 Nightfire said:

Speaking of Tools...

That is exactly what i am talking about. "Only those DJs who use the proper technology that i deem as proper are true DJs!" 

Newsflash. If I stream music at a club, and take requests, I am a DJ. The only "tool" a DJ needs is proper licensing. And yes, you need it in SL as well. I would be willing to bet that a very very very small percentage of DJs in SL actually have it. 

However the DJ is not an artist, at most he can be consider a kind of craftsman, but only if you want to be generous.

Edited by Tama Suki
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, LunaRavencroft said:

Thank you, for your opinion. 

However.. .

Insinuating that just because someone chooses not to voice, that they're somehow untrustworthy is rude. If we were to ever meet, inworld, and you tried to 'make' me voice, I'd leave and send you an IM, or just block you. Why? Because, I suffer from severe anxiety. It takes ALOT for me to be able to muster up the courage to even interact with people on mic, much less to turn mine on and join them. Those without an anxiety disorder don't seem to understand that.

Anyway, have a nice day. I'm out to wait for the coming winter storm.

better you start to block me from now, coz i will IM ypu with voices if i ever see you 😆yw my forum name is same with inworld. nothing to hide here. 😎

Edited by Kalegthepsionicist

54 minutes ago, Kalegthepsionicist said:

better you start to block me from now, coz i will IM ypu with voices if i ever see you 😆yw my forum name is same with inworld. nothing to hide here. 😎

She telling you that she has a real psychological problem and you respond in this way? How old are you? 8?

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Tama Suki said:

She telling you that she has a real psychological problem and you respond in this way? How old are you? 8?

I never Im her , or meet her inworld, . I dont IM random ppl inworld, i said I give much respect to people that willing to voices than not. thats my problem. if she want to block me, its ok . i dont rwlaly care actually. what people thinks  abouy ke since i have real life here

Edited by Kalegthepsionicist

2 minutes ago, Kalegthepsionicist said:

I never Im her , or meet her inworld, . I dont IM random ppl inworld, i said I give much respect to people that willing to voices than not. thats my problem. if she want to block me, its ok . i dont rwlaly care actually

I would be curious to know on the basis of which moral rule you have more respect for those who use the voice. What would your childish respect measurement parameter be?

• Like 1

Just now, Tama Suki said:

I would be curious to know on the basis of which moral rule you have more respect for those who use the voice. What would your childish respect measurement parameter be?

why you must care, this is my problem not yours.

Just now, Kalegthepsionicist said:

why you must care, this is my problem not yours.

I'm interested because I don't like using the voice in Second Life either, but it doesn't bother me who uses it, above all I don't insult or threaten them.

1 hour ago, Kalegthepsionicist said:

my forum name is same with inworld. nothing to hide here. 😎

You dont say? 

You do realize that your forum log in is linked to your SL log in, right? Same account.. Unless you use an alt account for the forums, the name would be the same. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 153 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.