Bots Bots and More Bots

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 856 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hey folks, 

Every since I have started renting parcels and sims in Second Life I notice that at least half a dozen times daily a bot turns up on my land. 

What I find bizarre is that 90% of them are seven months old, which suggests they were created in May 2021. Almost every bot is seven months old. 

The most chilling one is a person called Dead Jenny, which kind of freaks me out because my name is Jennifer. 

Also, the bots never show up when I am on sim. Yesterday, I tested it - I logged off for 30 minutes and when I came back one seven month old bot had been ejected. 

Any thoughts on what is going on here?

Jen

Years ago - many years ago - we had a fun thread started here on the forums about a strange avatar that was parked always on land adjacent to someone else's. After several more sightings of other similar looking avatars we found they belonged to an organisation called Traffic Injection, although to this day I am not 100% how that worked particularly.

Some people in Second Life like to build and create and manufacture to sell items. Others like bots - for all kinds of purposes - some to crawl and get information about land prices or possibly what's currently on a parcel of land.  

The name though is just a coincidence that it is the same as your own, I am 99.99999% sure of that. And maybe they all just keep landing on your spot because the owner of them used to rent/live there and hasn't got a new home base for them perhaps.  

You could find out who they belonged to by pressing "ctrl" and "3" and then clicking on an attachment on the avatar and it may show the group it belongs to and give you more information. 

Adding a photo, maybe explain slightly better. (click on photo might enlarge it to see a bit better) From memory the actual profile for this avatar did not tell us anything, least of all the groups she was in. 

brokli.jpg

Edited by Marigold Devin
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, katiapfurtscheller said:

Also, the bots never show up when I am on sim. Yesterday, I tested it - I logged off for 30 minutes and when I came back one seven month old bot had been ejected. 

I suspect that was just luck. I was asked to script a visitor recorder a few months back for somebody also annoyed at people arriving at her place and departing after 20 or 30 seconds, and never replying to an IM. She also, like you, felt this was creepy. The bots come and go there perhaps 2 or 3 a day, all dating, as you have identified, from earlier this year.

One thing you can do to try and avoid having them in your face is to use your parcel option settings and designate a particular spot on the parcel as the arrival spot. Anybody, bot or genuine avatar, will arrive there no matter where their stored landmark would try to put them, or where they clicked on the map.

You can still use TPs yourself that go where you wish, and you can TP others into beside you.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, katiapfurtscheller said:

Now I logged off again, for about 20 minutes and BAAAM ...another bot. Again 7 months old. 

Never when I am online. Only when I go off. 

Are they tracking me? 

Keep tracking THEM! 

Make a proper note of when they are visiting you.

Maybe - maybe - someone has your name on an online tracker and sends them whenever you log off. Trick them perhaps by having an alt come online to watch.

Or it might just be a coincidence. I mean, why would anyone be tracking you? 

5 minutes ago, Alazarin Mondrian said:

Our Lady of Perpetual Silence :)

Beloved Brokli and co - you started it all off, and it ran for ... years really! And I don't think we ever did find out the whole truth, but it was fun. Such fun. Thank you for sharing your strange serene visitor with us. 🥰

• Haha 1

Just now, Alazarin Mondrian said:

Good old Brokli... just goes to show that bots can be a source of entertainment in their own mute way. I can't remember if we built a  shrine to her at one point.

There was indeed a shrine, and a true community spirit as one by one half of the forum people of that time paid her a visit. 😂

8 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

Here's the shrine...
372857579_MysteryGirlSpaceship_016.thumb.jpg.8f5ca9a7c5358fbd061bc0c1dd0ae0cd.jpg

We took bus tours...
679712503_MysteryGirlSpaceship_006.thumb.jpg.fe47d68e54629c7eec845bed1e57c763.jpg

We tried to send her off to space...1352086688_MysteryGirlgetsaBlizzard.thumb.jpg.d3982033d7f67dc25e3b2cd9c41e1c6d.jpg

We tried an exorcism, but she would have none of it...247339759_MysteryGirlgets22TheLook22orig.thumb.jpg.7c57176ae325bf63af1f5da45b746977.jpg

She was a deadly force...
657862972_MysteryGirlCripplesVisitors.thumb.jpg.4a0184ff8d52f47b73bbb9f3bd7fb870.jpg

In some ways it feels like only yesterday, in others it feels like a lifetime and a half ago. 

We may have come full circle, or we may just be halfway around the bend.

Edited by Marigold Devin
bend it straighten it, I'm off to bed now ni-night.

Bots that pop on and then leave are survey bots.

They stay long enough to get data about the region, typically they are only interested in land, what's for sale/unoccupied, by whom, etc etc .. and due to the complaints on here, have probably been programmed to try and show up when no one is about.

They aren't trying to follow people around the grid, to be effective, that would take an insane number of bots and generate an unmanageably large dataset ... we would be tripping over them, everywhere.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

I guess we'll know in eleven years.

That's probably the most hopeful thing anyone has said to me in a couple of years.

4 hours ago, Alwin Alcott said:

seeing the allowed avatars on a region by LL limits... that's not likeley possible.

I am almost sure the most bots I saw on one region was at Quark, and I am almost sure I counted 96, but did I dream that many. I thought regions could only hold a maximum of 50. Going back to 2008. And a certain organisation had four regions together that housed batches of bots, a couple of hundred in large buildings. Always looked like hundreds when I looked at the world map.

9 hours ago, Alazarin Mondrian said:

I recognise that. I built it. I'll have to take a look in my inventory for it. Good times :) I found it and sent you a copy.

Thank you. I love it! So nice to this again. 

shrine to Our Lady of the Perpetual Silence.jpg

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 856 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.