Great tip from Firestorm

ChinRey

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 848 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

2 minutes ago, Nick0678 said:

So with a few words.. you want messages of the day to be the Linden ones like in the Firestorm below..

3GiJID9.gif

That would be nice. How do you make that happen? Is there a debug setting to show only official LL floater text? I usually get the buggy code/text or a message leading to some Firestorm Wiki page.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, davidventer said:

Who honestly opens those dropdowns before logging in? It's like they're being purposefully hidden. It's not like in the official login screen where you literally cannot miss the news and latest events. On the official login screen, It's like right there, in your face

Mhm, so spam, basically. I'm rather glad it doesn't get pushed into my face every time I login, because in my 9+ years in SL I never cared about those "events". I suppose if it was a toggle in setting somewhere then it wouldn't be too bad for those who actually want to see it, but otherwise it's terrible.

3 hours ago, davidventer said:

looked at that nauseatingly hideous Firestorm login screen

And then you go how you don't insult anyone, but "just their job". And yeah, it's just your opinion. And there's no need to derail other thread with it when one you created was already closed due to your offensive tone.

P. S.

I, for one, enjoy FS' login screen. It has exactly what is needed on the login screen: login window and the tech/grid status. Maybe you enjoy those mobile/f2p games login screens where all those "events" and shop "offers" are taking 90% of screen, often with annoying pop-ups, though. Compared to those, yeah, login screen on FS "lacks" things. And I'm glad it does.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

25 minutes ago, steeljane42 said:

Mhm, so spam, basically.

If you consider official and useful SL/LL news related to this virtual world we enjoy as being Spam, okay… it’s “Spam.” 🤦🏻‍♂️

25 minutes ago, steeljane42 said:

closed due to your offensive tone.

That wasn’t closed due to MY tone. I literally asked for it to be closed in the thread, and I reported the FS’s team’s personal attacks towards me, specifically the response with the pic resembling a hippo’s butt on my face, and again, in my report, asked for the thread to please be closed as the purpose of it was to provide a how-to guide, not get ganged up on, personally attacked, and humiliated by the FS dev team for simply pointing out legit UI/UX concerns and providing a solution.  (And apparently I’m the toxic one?)

Also, I’m not derailing this thread.. it’s related to Firestorm bugs and UI, isn’t it? But okay, I’ll keep to myself, as FS user experience feedback seems to only be welcomed when it involves praise... No criticism related to unpleasant user experiences are allowed. Okay… 🤐

Edited by davidventer
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, davidventer said:

I reported the FS’s team’s personal attacks towards me, specifically the response with the pic resembling a hippo’s butt on my face, and again, in my report,

Yes, that is an offensive picture worthy of an abuse report - for sure... (but I still like hippo shaped animal crackers)

I thought the Graphic Illustration of a hippo's butt sitting on your face was the perfect GUI of the consensus in that thread of your opinion and TONE.   But that's only my opinion...

Edited by Jaylinbridges
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, davidventer said:

If you consider official and useful SL/LL news related to this virtual world we enjoy as being Spam, okay… it’s “Spam.” 🤦🏻‍♂️

That wasn’t closed due to MY tone. I literally asked for it to be closed in the thread, and I reported the FS’s team’s personal attacks towards me, specifically the response with the pic resembling a hippo’s butt on my face, and again, in my report, asked for the thread to please be closed as the purpose of it was to provide a how-to guide, not get ganged up on, personally attacked, and humiliated by the FS dev team for simply pointing out legit UI/UX concerns and providing a solution.  (And apparently I’m the toxic one?)

Also, I’m not derailing this thread.. it’s related to Firestorm bugs and UI, isn’t it? But okay, I’ll keep to myself, as FS user experience feedback seems to only be welcomed when it involves praise... No criticism related to unpleasant user experiences are allowed. Okay… 🤐

Try going to Firestorm's official site and file a JIRA there. 

start [Phoenix Firestorm Project - Wiki] (firestormviewer.org)

file_a_jira [Phoenix Firestorm Project - Wiki] (firestormviewer.org)

firestorm_troubleshooting [Phoenix Firestorm Project - Wiki] (firestormviewer.org)

16 hours ago, davidventer said:

is run by such a toxic team

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year, David! ❤️ 

And for everyone else, just to add to the topic: If someone would miss fetched message of the day on the teleport/login screen or was not able to finish reading, there is an option in the menu, in Content, to just show it in chat again.

Splash screen... "What's hot now", "Destinations" and "Events" are utilizing the official widgets available here: http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Linden_Lab_Official:Viewer_Web_Widgets - why accordions then, or "drop downs", that "hide" stuff? Because not everyone has a 4k monitor and thanks to them even people on old laptops can see the content, if they want to, that is not squeezed all around the place. ~

And as a bonus, The "Linden Lab Blog" section is pulled directly from the RSS of this category, so no rocket science either, all data is there: 

Edited by panterapolnocy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/21/2021 at 11:02 PM, davidventer said:

Also, I’m not derailing this thread.. it’s related to Firestorm bugs and UI, isn’t it?

Not really. My original post was only meant as a joke so derailing is perfectly ok. But please, keep it civil.

image.thumb.png.5027db9760ce0429df02ec9c45670ab4.png

image.thumb.png.63f4227dd8eeb8afaa25f2293bf4c2dc.png

image.thumb.png.698c14bb41b53a5692502dd6feb36211.png

Seems to me both viewers present the same information in different ways. Nothing is hidden.

I think both Firestorm and Linden viewers cater to their respective user bases. My experience is new users are reading more when they first come in. So there is more stuff exposed on the screen. Firestorm users generally being more experienced see the information in a condensed form and as we see from above posts really don't care that much about it. So no point in cluttering the screen.

We don't have any actual data, AFAIK, as to which users pay more or less attention to the splash screen. So that point is definitely debatable. But all we have is opinion based on super small data samples.

Cutting Edge

Back in the day I was blogging about viewers, the bug fixes, and new features. I think Inara is the only one, other than the Lab, doing that now. Then 3rd party viewers were the cutting edge introducing new features and fixing bugs ahead of the Lab. But, things were chaotic. People were doing things that caused the system problems. Oz Linden changed that and got some organization and teamwork on the 3rd party devs. Now the Lab makes the cutting edge viewer. Often 3rd party devs have their shared features showing up first in a Lab beta version.

We can argue about how good or bad the change is. But the change in who has the cutting edge viewer is a fact.

Viewers have stabilized so well we can change between viewers at will and all is well. That was not always the case. I blogged so many workarounds and how to avoid whatever problem my articles were a must read for a couple thousand residents. No need for such information now. For instance, the info in the viewer 'changes' screen is not of much interest to most SL users.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 848 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.