Great tip from Firestorm

ChinRey

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 852 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

1 hour ago, Tama Suki said:

t always depends on the time your computer spends loading the world.

That message box predates connecting to the region and getting world information, and you can leave that screen as-is for ages and there will be no change. It's an example of the dubious technology you see around the web where a page pops up trying to show you that your search terms feature so often on their page that you dare not pass by their link, go on and click on heyYouYou'veComeToTheRightPlaceForrxxxxx,com

4 hours ago, ChinRey said:

All those tips Firestorm gives us when we log on a great advice of course. But some are more important than others and this is one everybody should know:

bilde.png.ba396ec02a4d284696132d86bdcf799a.png

That one irritates me a little whenever I see CATAGORY and VARIABIE (yes, that's probably a small 'l' but it reads like VariabEEE).  I know, the thing itself is more important than the spelling but you'd think someone would have mentioned it. :/ 

Edited by Garnet Psaltery
Typo. Hoist by my own petard.

19 minutes ago, Aiyumei said:

Someone forgot to add the key's labels into the build..

I've been seeing it on and off for a while, I suspect it's more to do with some settings at the client end, something like the ad-blockers in web browsers. I suppose one of us ought to bring it to the attention of @Whirly Fizzle

Edited by Profaitchikenz Haiku

11 minutes ago, Profaitchikenz Haiku said:

I've been seeing it on and off for a while, I suspect it's more to do with some settings at the client end, something like the ad-blockers in web browsers. I suppose one of us ought to bring it to the attention of @Whirly Fizzle

Known bug  :D    https://jira.firestormviewer.org/browse/FIRE-29502

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, Profaitchikenz Haiku said:

I don't use adblockers so nope. It's a known bug that was reported a long time ago.

Edit: oops Whirly beat me to it. lol

Edited by Silent Mistwalker

1 minute ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

I don't use adblockers s

I didn't think I did either, but every now and then I'll visit a new web page that throws u a warning to me that I am using an ad-blocker and it's hurting their revenue. Looking into it, I discovered some of the browsers do implement a low-level form of ad-blocking on an opt-out by default but opt-in consciously basis, so I was guilty as charged but innocent of any evil intent.

I'm now contemplating whether Firestorm left the popup there despite the known bugs to either see if anybody cared, or garner support for the Jira from hordes of outraged loggers-in :)

16 minutes ago, Profaitchikenz Haiku said:

I didn't think I did either, but every now and then I'll visit a new web page that throws u a warning to me that I am using an ad-blocker and it's hurting their revenue. Looking into it, I discovered some of the browsers do implement a low-level form of ad-blocking on an opt-out by default but opt-in consciously basis, so I was guilty as charged but innocent of any evil intent.

I'm now contemplating whether Firestorm left the popup there despite the known bugs to either see if anybody cared, or garner support for the Jira from hordes of outraged loggers-in :)

I use Chrome and Edge. I have never seen a warning that I use an adblocker on either one. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

On 12/19/2021 at 1:33 PM, ChinRey said:

All those tips Firestorm gives us when we log on a great advice of course. But some are more important than others and this is one everybody should know:

bilde.png.ba396ec02a4d284696132d86bdcf799a.png

So many users miss what is actually going on in Second Life - all the cool, fun, time-limited official events and things because of the FS dev team's odd desire to strip their viewer of everything "official". The nauseatingly hideous FS login screen that's missing all the helpful info such as official Second LIfe news, blogs posts, etc. The login and TP progress floater that's missing official and important Second Life notices and events... And then some forum regulars wonder why the majority of SL users don't even look at the forums or the news/blogs. Well, it's because this hideous but most-used feature-rich viewer is replacing all the useful info with unnecessary eye-sores in an attempt to, I don't know. make it seem like it's NOT Second Life? Or they just seriously hate the Lindens for some reason - which doesn't make sense because, if it weren't for the Lindens, they wouldn't even have this amazing Second life. I seriously don't understand the logic behind all this. And then, what happens when users provide constructive criticism, hoping to inspire positive change and improvement? Their requests are ignored and they're ganged up on by the entire dev team flinging personal insults and labels. It's unfortunate that such an epic, feature-rich viewer has such an ugly, broken UI and is run by such a toxic team.  

And then let's not forget that all the cool new features are being presented as being awesome Firestorm features, as if they're only available in firestorm. I see many threads where people say "In firestorm you can.." as if they're unaware that such features are actually copied/merged from the default viewer, Things like; Replacing Links, Using "" and + in inventory search, Moving BOM layers up or down to select which layer goes on top of the other, and soon (maybe coming to FS as well?)... Another feature that's available on the default SL viewer first: 360-degree snapshots. But because the firestorm team hides most official news and information, the majority of users will think it's a cool new Firestorm-only feature if and when it eventually makes its way into the Firestorm viewer. 

That said, Firestorm does have some awesome features that's not in the LL viewer like, the built-in AO, built-in radar, and the favorite wearables folder/button. It's just unfortunate that we're all forced to use this ugly, buggy UI in order to have access to those awesome features. Dear Lindens. please put the viewer-side AO, radar, and favorite attachments folder/button in the official viewer. Then we can enjoy awesome features in the awesome default viewer UI that is beautiful and modern, without having to deal with the UGLY and official LL news/info-omitting FS... that'd be super rad. 

And now... */me braces himself for some more personal attacks, name-calling/labels from the Linden-hating FS team since they're incapable of listening to, or acting on unhappy user feedback without making the user feel belittled, hated, and unwelcome*

</rant>

Edited by davidventer
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

Someone has never noticed the dropdowns on the login page.

Who honestly opens those dropdowns before logging in? It's like they're being purposefully hidden. It's not like in the official login screen where you literally cannot miss the news and latest events. On the official login screen, It's like right there, in your face (presented in a clean, informative, and user-friendly manner) when you open the viewer. You literally cannot miss it - even when you don't actively or intentionally look for it, it's there, the news and events catches your eye. That's effective UI/UX design right there, well done Linden Lab!... And last time I checked, FS does NOT include ALL the actual useful, official news and information, only some featured locations, purposefully hidden behind drop-downs and presented on top of ugly eye-sore gradients.

Apologies If I'm wrong, maybe it does have ALL the info? I just haven't actually looked at that nauseatingly hideous Firestorm login screen in a while as it's seriously unpleasant - makes perfect sense that most would not pay attention to it before logging in because it’s not pleasant to look at, and I've set up my Firestorm to show me the actual official login screen instead of that ugly Win/Office95-esque gradient mess. If you'd like to do the same, I've posted a how-to guide here.

Just wish there was also a way to replace the Firestorm login/tp progress floaters text with official LL news/text. If there's a debug setting for that, let me know. I prefer seeing official/useful information in the login/TP progress floaters rather than FS's buggy and unnecessary custom floater text that don't do much but distract from official SL/LL news. 

Disclaimer for when the FS dev team eventually stumbles upon this thread… as with my previous FS-related posts and comments; relax, I’m not insulting YOU, I’m not calling YOU ugly/hideous/nauseating. YOU are not a user interface, YOU are a HUMAN; You are a developer, I just think your awesome features need a better UI. You’re great feature developers. Firestorm has amazing features (thank you for that)… you're just in need of some UX guidance, of which plenty have been been provided over the years, even by your own project lead (but ignored, flat out refused, or responded to with sarcasm and actual personal labeling and insults. It’s almost as if you WANT outspoken users to have an unpleasant experience rather than maybe learning from it and improving the UI so that it's not such an ugly, buggy mess...?) 🤷🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️

Edited by davidventer
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, davidventer said:

Who honestly opens those dropdowns before logging in? It's like they're being purposefully hidden. It's not like in the official login screen where you literally cannot miss the news and latest events. On the official login screen, It's like right there, in your face (presented in a clean, informative, and user-friendly manner) when you open the viewer. You literally cannot miss it - even when you don't actively or intentionally look for it, it's there, the news and events catches your eye. That's effective UI/UX design right there, well done Linden Lab!... And last time I checked, FS does NOT include ALL the actual useful, official news and information, only some featured locations, purposefully hidden behind drop-downs and presented on top of ugly eye-sore gradients.

Apologies If I'm wrong, maybe it does have ALL the info? I just haven't actually looked at that nauseatingly hideous Firestorm login screen in a while as it's seriously unpleasant - makes perfect sense that most would not pay attention to it before logging in because it’s not pleasant to look at, and I've set up my Firestorm to show me the actual official login screen instead of that ugly Win/Office95-esque gradient mess. If you'd like to do the same, I've posted a how-to guide here.

Just wish there was also a way to replace the Firestorm login/tp progress floaters text with official LL news/text. If there's a debug setting for that, let me know. I prefer seeing official/useful information in the login/TP progress floaters rather than FS's buggy and unnecessary custom floater text that don't do much but distract from official SL/LL news. 

Disclaimer for when the FS dev team eventually stumbles upon this thread… as with my previous FS-related posts and comments; relax, I’m not insulting YOU, I’m not calling YOU ugly/hideous/nauseating. YOU are not a user interface, YOU are a HUMAN; You are a developer, I just think your awesome features need a better UI. You’re great feature developers. Firestorm has amazing features (thank you for that)… you're just in need of some UX guidance, of which plenty have been been provided over the years, even by your own project lead (but ignored, flat out refused, or responded to with sarcasm and actual personal labeling and insults. It’s almost as if you WANT outspoken users to have an unpleasant experience rather than maybe learning from it and improving the UI so that it's not such an ugly, buggy mess...?) 🤷🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️

@Whirly Fizzle

I'll let Whirly answer this since she has been Quality Assurance for FS for more than a decade now. Sorry to pass the buck on this Whirly but I think you'll understand.

2 hours ago, davidventer said:

So with a few words.. you want messages of the day to be the Linden ones like in the Firestorm below..

3GiJID9.gif

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 852 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.