Teleport failures this weekend?

Paul Hexem

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 842 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

How is it, that after almost 20 years, LL still can't make sure that moving around their own grid works consistently?

I'm literally trapped on a single private sim and can't get to the mainland. If I log in on the mainland, I can't run/walk/fly to different locations due to ban lines and security orbs.

It makes almost the entire grid useless.

19 hours ago, Paul Hexem said:

How is it, that after almost 20 years, LL still can't make sure that moving around their own grid works consistently?

I'm literally trapped on a single private sim and can't get to the mainland. If I log in on the mainland, I can't run/walk/fly to different locations due to ban lines and security orbs.

It makes almost the entire grid useless.

I understand your frustration, but did not have similar issues, despite teleporting multiple times between my own private island to other private islands, and to mainland regions. As such, it seems excessive to characterize 'the entire grid' as useless. Problems like you were having are often caused by network issues either in your local network or somewhere between that and your ISP and then to SL. I hope it is running better for you now, but if not, or if it happens again, my 'go to' attempt to help it is a fresh reboot of my modem/router, followed by a reboot of my PC, which almost always helps the problem. There are other troubleshooting ideas, and if you use the Firestorm viewer, I highly recommend their inworld support group (peruse their WIKI for many helpful guides).

8 hours ago, Myles Capalini said:

I understand your frustration, but did not have similar issues, despite teleporting multiple times between my own private island to other private islands, and to mainland regions. As such, it seems excessive to characterize 'the entire grid' as useless. Problems like you were having are often caused by network issues either in your local network or somewhere between that and your ISP and then to SL. I hope it is running better for you now, but if not, or if it happens again, my 'go to' attempt to help it is a fresh reboot of my modem/router, followed by a reboot of my PC, which almost always helps the problem. There are other troubleshooting ideas, and if you use the Firestorm viewer, I highly recommend their inworld support group (peruse their WIKI for many helpful guides).

I'm running a dual wan setup and all the hardware in my server rack is gigabit or better. Since I load balance, I switch between ISPs. There's no way they're both bad.

Which means the grid is bad, or my load balancing is somehow causing it... Which still points at LL needing to step it up and stop using 20 year old technology.

4 hours ago, Paul Hexem said:

I load balance, I switch between ISPs.

Not sure LL's infrastructure and the servers can cope with logged in users that would switch their IP address during the same session !... If your load balancing causes a change of ISP when connecting to another server (such as the arrival sim for a TP), then things could get messy.

My advice: turn off your load balancing and see how you fare in SL (or how SL fares for you)...

Edited by Henri Beauchamp

9 hours ago, Henri Beauchamp said:

Not sure LL's infrastructure and the servers can cope with logged in users that would switch their IP address during the same session !... If your load balancing causes a change of ISP when connecting to another server (such as the arrival sim for a TP), then things could get messy.

My advice: turn off your load balancing and see how you fare in SL (or how SL fares for you)...

Yeah, I'll have to look up SL's ports and set up some routing rules to filter SL through just the one.

It still means LL's infrastructure needs updating.

I've been having serious TP issues the past 2 weeks or so.  I tried EVERYTHING shown on the Firestorm and LL support pages.  The problem is absolutely somewhere between my cable router and LL; even turning off the router firewall didn't work. I filed a very detailed ticket with LL that is still open and perhaps they'll find something.  (If so, I'll report back here.)

BUT as a shot in the dark, I turned on my VPN (I use HideMyAss) and set it to a location in Dallas, TX.  The problem has disappeared.  If I turn the VPN off, the problem returns.

So I offer this for the good of the order.  Using a VPN is something I might suspect as a cause of a problem; so you might not consider trying it as a solution!

@Trina Varriale: what that tells me is that there is a systemic issue with SL's operation on AWS' server cluster that gives issues in resolving the destination urls of instances outside of the northern USA.  There is little or nothing that we, as users, can do (since the use of VPNs have some serious downsides, as well as such an obvious upside) but there IS something that LL, as a client of AWS can and MUST do.

The most obvious downside is: just how important to AWS is LL?  My impression is "not very", and as a result there is little that is likely to change.

What we do then is a question above my pay grade.

Edited by Aishagain
  • Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 842 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.