NFT can kill SL?

Tama Suki

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 858 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Lately I have been reading a lot in this forum about the fact that for some SL it should switch to some fabulous cryptocurrency and above all indulge in the NFT market.
I don't know much about economics and cryptocurrencies, but I am now convinced that the NFT scam is capable of destroying Second Life within a few months.
I wanted to write a very long post but it seems superfluous to me at this point, the situation of the NFT is very clear to many here.
If SL were to convert body and soul to that kind of market, the few good authors who until now have imported their fine electronic craftsmanship here will be swept away by a senseless wave of idiocy.
Probably many will be pleased to see that Second Life will be very busy for a time and that thousands of new accounts will be created. But that will be nothing more than a bubble of savage profiteers who will have the sole purpose of emptying the pockets of users and then disappearing once the NFT bubble has burst and there will be nothing left.
Do not you believe it?
So ask an NFT worshiper what he intends to sell and buy and the first thing you will notice for sure is that the subject can't care less about quality. He only cares about creating profit out of nothing and to do so he would gladly destroy a well-established market where those who work hard and create high quality content win.

I've seen a youtube superstar lately, you know those petulant motivators who sell smoke at a high price?
The very guys who interviewed Zuckerberg recently.
Well! In a video of him he clearly states that his next big-earning project is to sell children's drawings as valuable works of art and make a lot of money out of them.
I wonder what level of idiocy mankind is able to reach because at this point it seems to me that there are no more borders.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Lucia Nightfire said:

How many NFT threads do we need?

5? 10? 9001?

🙄

Yes, you are right, it would have been much more productive to insert this post of mine in a thread where I am already present. But I'm new here and I still have an instinct to act like we're inside Twitter.
If I could I would delete it and put it in another thread that is already open but it seems like it can't be erased.

NFT stands for "Non-fungible token" and your paying for string of numbers that state you own a piece of digital artwork but you technically don't own the art just a string of numbers that art is still on a server some place along with any copies people may have made by right clicking the image and saving it. example some doofus just spent 17,548.68 dollars worth of fake money on this pictures NFT and here i am able to post a screenshot of it or even download it the whole thing is a scam that uses more energy than most small nations do 

cfaac2793aa75f8e1ebe9449d801a08d.png

d4cd0e3106ad803df4526a6afcc28c13.png

Edited by Vanessa Amethyst
  • Like 3

29 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:

NFTs are actually causing artists to remove their work from online sites such as deviant art  .. because NFTbros keep stealing their work, minting it as an NFT and selling it, forcing them to file DMCA takedowns which depending on where the NFT project is based, can just be ignored.

I've seen the same thing from another very good artist complaining about it on Twitter, exactly the same. What NFT's worshipers are doing seems to be a very dirty job.

19 minutes ago, Profaitchikenz Haiku said:

NFT = Newest FUD Topic

"I was at a policy meeting - they were discussing new ways of cheating"

Not sure what do you mean with FUD. If the meaning is: "fear, uncertainty and doubt, usually evoked intentionally in order to put a competitor at a disadvantage" just read the post of @Coffee Pancake and mine right above.

I have nothing against cryptocurrencies but for sure NFT seems to be a bad episode in this new economic galaxy.

6 minutes ago, Tama Suki said:

FUD. If the meaning is: "fear, uncertainty and doubt,

Yes, that was my intended use, I wouldn't go on to limit it to the following clause.

However, if you do need to know the areas which I feel are in a similar category, they are included in but not limited to

The Philosophers Stone

The South Sea Bubble

The Dutch Tulip craze

Franz Mesmer

The Sinclair C5

Graham Norton

Free energy

The Apeothis of Dilwyn Bagelmmeister

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Profaitchikenz Haiku said:

Yes, that was my intended use, I wouldn't go on to limit it to the following clause.

However, if you do need to know the areas which I feel are in a similar category, they are included in but not limited to

The Philosophers Stone

The South Sea Bubble

The Dutch Tulip craze

Franz Mesmer

The Sinclair C5

Graham Norton

Free energy

The Apeothis of Dilwyn Bagelmmeister

watthatfukkery!

5 hours ago, Coffee Pancake said:

NFTs are actually causing artists to remove their work from online sites such as deviant art  .. because NFTbros keep stealing their work, minting it as an NFT and selling it, forcing them to file DMCA takedowns which depending on where the NFT project is based, can just be ignored.

I'm one that took all of my work down from DA and will never ever put it back. Between enabling stalkers and harassers and now the NFT thefts, the place has become a cesspool for people who think the world owes them everything.

• Sad 1

NFTs are a lot like modern art displayed in art museums. People were buying modern art not for artistic value but because it was a way to store wealth. Not saying that NFTs are legitimate like modern art but rather NFTs and modern art are both stupid.

As an artist I did see NFTs as a way to earn money for producing some good art digitally but the entire market has turned into a cash grab by the greedy with no artistry involved. I'm glad I took down most of the art I have on the internet a long time ago.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Bree Giffen said:

NFTs are a lot like modern art displayed in art museums. People were buying modern art not for artistic value but because it was a way to store wealth. Not saying that NFTs are legitimate like modern art but rather NFTs and modern art are both stupid.

As an artist I did see NFTs as a way to earn money for producing some good art digitally but the entire market has turned into a cash grab by the greedy with no artistry involved. I'm glad I took down most of the art I have on the internet a long time ago.

The key difference being, if you buy modern art, you have some art .. and hopefully it has some provenance.

With NFTs, the best you can hope for is you like your meme ape, old memes are dead memes.

0gdXZn8.gif

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 858 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.