How did you overcome if you weren't a skilled creator with good talent?

JSeesaw

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 814 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Last year, I spent L$20k attending sale events/Marketplace advertising, but only got the L$7k sale—70% in-world and 30% Marketplace, average each per sale L$100. The lands rent cost makes me have to find in-world jobs to pay. I usually feel like I have to work every moment in SL. It's a cause that I feel frustrated struggles with my productions.

It's the 2022 new year now. Maybe it's good to make some new year plans. Yeah, It's correct to start to do it.

Though I sometimes still feel so tired to do anything.

1. Monthly new releases.
  2. Participate in events with exclusive products.
  3. Flickr promotion.
  4. Marketplace listing.
  5. Monthly gift and discount/store credit for group members.
  6. Blogger search.

I don't have 3D skills, but making 3D products might earn more, so I'll do these.

1. Make simple sculpt objects with the ROKURO.
  2. Learn Blender (long term).

Edited by JSeesaw
addition

On 12/28/2021 at 1:41 AM, anniebumpkins said:

This was me for a long time!! However, when COVID hit I decided to really apply myself to learning 3D mesh as I've always wanted to do and in a year's time I went from making crude apples to (last thing I did) a whole castle keep with ambient occlusion properly baked! I did take some courses last year, as well as just practice a bunch with YT tutorials (I have several i found to be especially helpful and explain things better where others did not, let me know if you're interested in them!) and now I have my own store where I've started to sell things people seem to enjoy! It's a hurdle, yes, especially on a marketplace where there are GODS AMONG HUMANS making the most beautiful mesh objects from years upon years of experience, but you have to bear in mind that NO ONE is going to create the exact same things you think of, NO ONE can replicate your creativity and ideas. It also helps, for me, to make my items accessible in-world and to completely describe every aspect of them on the MP so customers know what they're getting; if it's too newb for you, you'll know before you purchase.

Practice, practice, practice is the key, and if you find you love building and working with mesh it won't seem tedious...or at least not THAT tedious, it will be sometimes regardless. 

Please feel free to IM me here (? if that's possible? I assume it is) or in-world if you want more help with mesh or selling. I'm not an expert by any means, but as I'm self-taught as well I might be able to help explain some things. I also used to be a teacher and I still love teaching/assisting folks where I can :) 

Actually I have sent IM in-world several times, but I might miss the response. Would you mind to talk the story and the New Year plan about your cafe store?

17 hours ago, JSeesaw said:

Last year, I spent L$20k attending sale events/Marketplace advertising, but only got the L$7k sale—70% in-world and 30% Marketplace, average each per sale L$100. The lands rent cost makes me have to find in-world jobs to pay. I usually feel like I have to work every moment in SL. It's a cause that I feel frustrated struggles with my productions.

This is a different issue to the original one. It's not about creating or talent, but about marketing. If something doesn't earn you money, ditch it. Marketplace adverts are usually in that category. Events are an event by event thing. Ditch the ones that don't make money and focus on the ones that do.

If you find that no event makes money, even though it's a very busy event, look at how the product is packaged. Take a look at how people selling similar stuff package things.

I don't bother with the endless monthly events, as that's just a way to burn out with little return. I pick a few events in the year that I know do well and might try some new ones when I have time. This year will be busy, so I'm aiming at only a few of the best ones.

Take advantage of free promotion (like putting your shop in your forum signature... that's allowed and completely free, so go for it).

Edited by Polenth Yue
Clarity
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 814 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.