Seems like a Second Life hack...

Douglas Yachvili

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 859 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

13 answers to this question

21 minutes ago, Douglas Yachvili said:

How is it possible for someone that has no rights to your land, to return your own objects from your own land?

If any part of your object was on their land then they can return your objects so you stop obstructing their land. Most likely that is what happened.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Douglas Yachvili said:

So then it is a hack. Because it's happened again with NO explanation but the same answers which do not apply.

Well it doesn't look like you ever answered any of the questions people were asking in the original thread to try and get more details. 😅 Even if they don't seem to apply to your situation, it might be a good idea to answer them (either in another reply or even edit them into your first post) to give everyone a better idea of what exactly happened!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Douglas Yachvili said:

So then it is a hack. Because it's happened again with NO explanation but the same answers which do not apply.

No, there is no hacking.  There are questions asked in your previous thread and this one that if you answer, might help us help you.  

As @Innula Zenovkaasked in your previous thread...

Three questions, just to clarify

-- Do you pay tier for this land direct to LL or to a landlord?

-- Is the land in your name or is it deeded to a landgroup?

-- Are you certain that the objects didn't extend into another parcel --  (quite possible to do by accident, at least with large objects)?

• Like 2

Let's not dismiss the "hacking" theory entirely. I have had credible reports now and then of griefers who had inexplicable abilities, such as the ability to take objects which were not theirs. It's not beyond possibility that someone has come up with a way to Return objects they normally would not be entitled to return.

But, Douglas, we have to apply Occam's Razor here. It's much more likely that they DID have the authority to return your objects, which is why we are asking these questions.  Please answer the questions Rowan asks in the above post.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Douglas Yachvili said:

If this is mainland, and your objects bounding boxes encroach onto another parcel .. they can be returned by the owner of that parcel.

If this is a private estate, the estate can return your stuff because they feel like it.

Maybe you have granted modify rights to another user, or the land is group owned and someone with relevant land powers swung by, or you forgot to set the group and autoreturn got it, or maybe someone reported your stuff and the game gods yeeted it back to your inventory.

Just because you don't understand how something applies, does not stop it from applying, as you have found out by getting stuff returned.

Or it's nefarious ebil haxors/aliens with magic powers targeting you, again, specifically, for reasons.

• Like 4

I'll try to clarify. The land is mainland, is deeded to my group, I am the owner of my group/land. Yes I do have all of the group member permissions set appropriately so that no one else has permissions to return objects. Yes one of the objects was slightly hanging into the other parcel, but not all of them, no they were not all linked together, there ware 4 different sets of prim returned. I reiterate, some did not apply to encroachment rules. So yes one was probably returned legit. About the encroachment rule, I have been in the situation where someones object was hanging over onto my parcel and could not be returned, So uhm, okay, on that one. To be clear, I've been at this a little while.

2 minutes ago, Douglas Yachvili said:

I'll try to clarify. The land is mainland, is deeded to my group, I am the owner of my group/land. Yes I do have all of the group member permissions set appropriately so that no one else has permissions to return objects. Yes one of the objects was slightly hanging into the other parcel, but not all of them, no they were not all linked together, there ware 4 different sets of prim returned. I reiterate, some did not apply to encroachment rules. So yes one was probably returned legit. About the encroachment rule, I have been in the situation where someones object was hanging over onto my parcel and could not be returned, So uhm, okay, on that one. To be clear, I've been at this a little while.

As all possibilities have been exhausted here, and you have such a long time of experience in Second Life, maybe it is time for you to report a possible bug on the Jira. 

There are bugs and hacks and things we generally don't always get to know about. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Douglas Yachvili said:

Yes one of the objects was slightly hanging into the other parcel, but not all of them, no they were not all linked together, there ware 4 different sets of prim returned.

To prevent this happening again, pay attention to the bounding box size, not the visible object you can see.

Bounding boxes have been abused in the past to make the viewer think an object was more important in a scene that it's actual size might imply (so as to keep it rendered).

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Coffee Pancake said:

To prevent this happening again, pay attention to the bounding box size, not the visible object you can see.

Bounding boxes have been abused in the past to make the viewer think an object was more important in a scene that it's actual size might imply (so as to keep it rendered).

And encroachment return references the bounding boxes per link, not the linkset's bounding box.

You can place boxes all around and outside of a 16 sqm parcel,  link them all together and the parcel owner won't be able to encroach return it.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 859 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.