New Interview with Patch & Brett Linden (homes discussed)

Evangeline Arcadia

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 850 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

In case anyone is interested and might have not seen the Blogs section of the site, Designing Worlds did an interview recently wtih Brett and Patch Linden. I'm posting this here because of the topic of Bellisseria which includes:

• The Eyrie design  [3:30] 
  • Booking community regions [5:30]
  • The secret alphabet yet to be deciphered! [ 07:00]
  • The new modern theme, the following one, and more themes !! Yes...more themes!! [22:39]
  • Bellisseria Fantasy community images [ 35:00]

Time stamps are approximate.

And then more general interesting Second Life talk:  recent uptick, Metaverse, community, collaborations.

https://vimeo.com/channels/dworlds

• Like 10
  • Thanks 6
  • Haha 1

I just listened to a few snippets, but for those who have as little time as I do, I heard a few items of particular interest to Belli:

• They hope to get the Modern homes out around the end of the year
  • They plan to get the next theme (currently 5 regions up in SSP with Scarlet covers) out rather rapidly after Modern
  • When directly asked if the theme following Modern will be Asian, Patch said "I don't know" rather coyly.  Gorgeous pics, tho, Pru!
  • After Scarlet, they will be taking a break from new themes to update old ones!  Hopefully we'll see the long-awaited trad floor plans at long last :)
  • The moles helped to build Zenoscope island, and presumably are involved with all such fun partnerships
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, PrudenceAnton said:

I did a flickr search and found some lovely Asian home styles in Second Life. One can just envision how popular and exciting having this theme in Bellisseria would be.
These photos are from Inara Pey's flickr.

Yes, these are lovely. I particularly like the second one over water. That last one looks Lindenesque to me:)

I'm really excited to see what other themes will be coming and wonder exactly how many more  there'll be. It sounded like a few.

Edited by Evangeline Arcadia
  • Like 5

7 minutes ago, Evangeline Arcadia said:

Yes, these are lovely. I particularly like the second one over water. That last one looks Lindenesque to me:)

I agree that 3rd photo looks like a Linden-style interpretation of an Asian theme.  I bet the community area in this theme would be spectacular though. 

I am excited, as usual, to see what the next theme(s) will be but want to keep my expectations realistic.  After seeing some of the negative reactions to the update to the modern homes, I think we should dream big, but keep our expectations in line with reality.  They won't please everyone.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Cinnamon Mistwood said:

I agree that 3rd photo looks like a Linden-style interpretation of an Asian theme.  I bet the community area in this theme would be spectacular though. 

I am excited, as usual, to see what the next theme(s) will be but want to keep my expectations realistic.  After seeing some of the negative reactions to the update to the modern homes, I think we should dream big, but keep our expectations in line with reality.  They won't please everyone.

Yes, if it will be an Asian theme, there is one thing I am certain of, it will not look anything close to what SL's best builders can offer. This time, I will tone down expectations a lot and rather be pleasantly surprised. It is not because I think the Moles are so bad, I am sure they have orders to deliver something good enough to get people in, but not so good that people will stay there. So it will not be amazing, because SL need landlords, landscapers and house builders to get income from too.

I am so fed up with all the Trompe Loeil houses people posted in the Modern theme thread and the same lines "Why can't it be like this?" Well, because they are not meant to be so good.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Marianne Little said:

Yes, if it will be an Asian theme, there is one thing I am certain of, it will not look anything close to what SL's best builders can offer. This time, I will tone down expectations a lot and rather be pleasantly surprised. It is not because I think the Moles are so bad, I am sure they have orders to deliver something good enough to get people in, but not so good that people will stay there. So it will not be amazing, because SL need landlords, landscapers and house builders to get income from too.

I am so fed up with all the Trompe Loeil houses people posted in the Modern theme thread and the same lines "Why can't it be like this?" Well, because they are not meant to be so good.

I’m not that much of a pessimist! I do believe they tried their very best, but their best wasn’t great. Maybe it’s time to refresh the talent pool. 

2 hours ago, Marianne Little said:

... I am sure they have orders to deliver something good enough to get people in, but not so good that people will stay there. So it will not be amazing, because SL need landlords, landscapers and house builders to get income from too.

Well, this is a bit of a negative spin!  LHs are starter homes because they are fixed builds on small parcels with limited LI allowance and many neighbors, not because of the quality of the prefabs.  "Not meant to be so good"?  How do you explain the Vics?  Those really are (particularly once they get open floor plans!) amazing prefabs.

I think container homes with trad interiors were a deliberate choice, closely resembling many many condo neighborhoods in RL.  I really think that aspect of them - their reality - is kind of cool.  A dramatic departure from Fantasseria!

Sure, there are lots of modern homes, in SL and RL, with swooping rooflines, dramatic patios, etc.  And I think those are well within the skillset of the moles.  But I respect their choice here; I think it will be really interesting to see what people make of Newbrooke homes; they are more of a blank slate than usual.  Go wild, folks!

1 hour ago, yestothis said:

I do believe they tried their very best, but their best wasn’t great. Maybe it’s time to refresh the talent pool. 

obama-gurl-please.gif

• Like 3

I think the Moles were strategic when they planned the interiors of the modern homes. I think it's intentional that they used the same textures etc across all their themes. Likewise, I don't think they make them inferior. I believe we all had this vision of what we wanted in a modern theme, and they delivered something modern, but it was not the type of modern (these are container homes and look like container homes) that we had in mind. Instead of looking at them for what they are (rectangular container homes), some are upset about what they are not (stick build contemporary homes).

https://www.google.com/search?q=container+homes&client=firefox-b-1-d&sxsrf=AOaemvL5-QEm2HW0HtaJCyFwHnf8w3xSwA:1639688178366&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjOsKe7mun0AhWoj4kEHWnOCpAQ_AUoAXoECAEQAw&biw=1920&bih=891&dpr=1

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

@Nika Talajyou are right that they are starter homes. But when Bellisseria was new and I was a bit crazy with excitement, I said that I should live there in my first house for ever. It would not be a very good business.

I agree that Victorians was peak time. After that, the cloning came in with full force. I think the landscaping has missed something since then. Or it is my cycle of interest that was on the way down, and the cloning made it go faster.

@Mercedes Avon, I think you are right in that we got something modern, but not the modern we wanted. But I am sorry to say, after I googled container homes and I look at the images, then I try to compare it with the new theme and... I recognize some parts, but others not. Vertical brick ribs? Big roof overhangs? I do not think we got container homes either, but someones idea of container home with big roof overhangs and bricks added on.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am content. But not enthusiastic. They will do, I am going to try one despite what I have said. It took LL so long time to deliver a modern theme,  so I am going to use it while I am Premium.

I think a refreshment of the Traditionals is more exiting, especially if they do more than add individual colors for the rooms. I yearn for the originality of Old Bellisseria, and still regret the one I abandoned in Humansville.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Marianne Little said:

@Nika Talajyou are right that they are starter homes. But when Bellisseria was new and I was a bit crazy with excitement, I said that I should live there in my first house for ever. It would not be a very good business.

I agree that Victorians was peak time. After that, the cloning came in with full force. I think the landscaping has missed something since then. Or it is my cycle of interest that was on the way down, and the cloning made it go faster.

@Mercedes Avon, I think you are right in that we got something modern, but not the modern we wanted. But I am sorry to say, after I googled container homes and I look at the images, then I try to compare it with the new theme and... I recognize some parts, but others not. Vertical brick ribs? Big roof overhangs? I do not think we got container homes either, but someones idea of container home with big roof overhangs and bricks added on.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am content. But not enthusiastic. They will do, I am going to try one despite what I have said. It took LL so long time to deliver a modern theme,  so I am going to use it while I am Premium.

I think a refreshment of the Traditionals is more exiting, especially if they do more than add individual colors for the rooms. I yearn for the originality of Old Bellisseria, and still regret the one I abandoned in Humansville.

I regret, that I too let that home go. It was rather perfect. Hindsight and all.

• Like 3

Patch Linden and the Moles have already delivered "Asian Theme". You can see more Newbrooke style homes in Asia than the photos of "Asian Theme" that appear here. We can also do 1,000's of different types of corrugated iron versions too! So easy to rebuild after the passing of a typhoon, or the occasional earthquake.

I think the "Asian Theme" is about history and the movies, rather than normal life for the people who live here.

So thank you to Patch Linden and the Moles, for Newbrooke. I will feel very at home if I get to be able to live in one.

This is an Asian home.

1527666914_AsianHouse.thumb.jpg.ba47f53adff49abea48e8e4bfe00dd52.jpg

Edited by Olympus Mercury
Photo description added.
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Olympus Mercury said:

This is an Asian home.

1527666914_AsianHouse.thumb.jpg.ba47f53adff49abea48e8e4bfe00dd52.jpg

not to be overly nit picky but this is a bauhaus

paraphrasing the bauhaus school: "A design and build approach that unifies the principles of mass production with individual artistic vision and strives to combine aesthetics with everyday function"

the bauhaus build processes are highly efficient when compared to the build processes for other design types

you are right though that bauhaus is popular in contemporary asian societies, as popular as it is in western and other societies also.  All for the same reason: mass production of homes at the lowest cost in the least amount of time, which are aesthetically pleasing and functional  

ps add

just add that I do like this style of housing.  And I am happy that you like it as well

Edited by Mollymews
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/17/2021 at 12:25 AM, Elora Lunasea said:

I regret, that I too let that home go. It was rather perfect. Hindsight and all.

You let it go.... 😢 Oh, I am kicking myself. Humansville, Residentia, Rocky Heights, Well Springs, Abatti, Rutherford... So many original and unique places. I think the Old Bellisseria can be the most desirable if LL adds some new models. But I doubt it will be more than individual colored walls.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

I like that LL had a furnished house in this demo region. I think they should keep on with it. Have landing point in a square with 4 different houses and "Click here to teleport to an unfurnished house" next to it. The furniture style is what 90 % of residents would have in a home, so it was perfect for the broad audience. Not modern, but safe to pick.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Marianne Little said:

I think the Old Bellisseria can be the most desirable if LL adds some new models. But I doubt it will be more than individual colored walls.

Remember, LL's Java Sprockets Cafe is an OPEN FLOORPLAN Alderly.  They do exist! I'm hoping we see them in the spring.

I love Olde Bellisseria as well.  Java Sprockets is not only a really pretty cafe build, you can also grab a free bike and go down to the Light of Aurelia.  It's next to Puffin Head pickle, which is just about my favorite one and has a little swimming area.  If you're in need of a quick pleasant outing - and who isn't? - stop by :)

Edited by Nika Talaj
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, Nika Talaj said:

Remember, LL's Java Sprockets Cafe is an OPEN FLOORPLAN Alderly.  They do exist! I'm hoping we see them in the spring.

I love Olde Bellisseria as well.  Java Sprockets is not only a really pretty cafe build, you can also grab a free bike and go down to the Light of Aurelia.  It's next to Puffin Head pickle, which is just about my favorite one and has a little swimming area.  If you're in need of a quick pleasant outing - and who isn't? - stop by :)

It took me a LONG time to find a trad I liked, so I hope we get open floor plans!  I'll have to go check out that cafe.   Of course, individual wall and ceiling colors would be great.

• Like 2

On 12/18/2021 at 9:23 AM, Marianne Little said:

You let it go.... 😢 Oh, I am kicking myself. Humansville, Residentia, Rocky Heights, Well Springs, Abatti, Rutherford... So many original and unique places. I think the Old Bellisseria can be the most desirable if LL adds some new models. But I doubt it will be more than individual colored walls.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

I like that LL had a furnished house in this demo region. I think they should keep on with it. Have landing point in a square with 4 different houses and "Click here to teleport to an unfurnished house" next to it. The furniture style is what 90 % of residents would have in a home, so it was perfect for the broad audience. Not modern, but safe to pick.

Well Springs was another I left. 

I downgraded most of my alts and right now my main doesn't have a Linden home. I've been rolling the dice for a couple of weeks but have not found anything worth keeping. 

• Like 2

On 12/16/2021 at 10:11 PM, Marianne Little said:

The Victorians were the first regions to have cloned regions, so my moment of starting to detach was back then, even though I resisted.
It felt as if there was a large cultural shift, and the ongoing building plans were required  to be more cost efficient and speedily produced, and in the latter cases, more able to accommodate denser packing of homes.
Maybe this really was necessary in terms of survival of the project, but it sucked the joy out of it for me, unfortunately.

• Like 2

Am I the only one who doesn't care if a region is cloned?  I just want a parcel I like.  Whether someone else has the same house setup  several regions away doesn't impact my enjoyment of the parcel I like.  By the time people are done decorating and landscaping, the cloned regions look very different.  Even driving, biking or boating through regions daily wouldn't look make everything exactly the same.  

What do people actually have against cloning regions?  

• Like 5

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 850 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.