Creating mesh in a specific pose

Ardentika

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 841 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I'm particularly asking for "hands in pockets" meshes. Does anyone have some tutorial sources? I know the basics but it's not working great, I suppose I might be mixing the steps. I know I have to make a pose for it, and I do that but the results aren't very desirable and I've exhausted my knowledge. And oddly I couldn't find anything on this topic..

Thanks!

You'd most likely have to make a separate open pocket mesh face/link and a separate closed pocket mesh face/link with the pants, sweater or whatever clothing that uses them and cycle between those when stowing or drawing hands.

Sadly, we do not have support for in-world insertable/controllable IKs with animations so you'll have to make a pose specific to the body, body shape and clothing used for hands to even visually make it into said pockets correctly.

5 hours ago, Claireschen Hesten said:

Unless you want part of the hands to be visible whilst in the pocket you could take the approach the store Belle Epoque does and make the mesh look like the hand is fully in the pocket at all times, all the wearer has to do is alpha out the entire arm/hand area

That is actually what I did, however the problem is the pose with the outfit does not look how it looks in blender and there is a lot of pulling happening that I can't seem to fix. This is how it looks in blender. The weights are not ideal but there is nothing weird going on. 

rimlRoX.pngA2KhBGs.png

And this is what's happening in SL. Weird weights, things poking through and the sleeves twisting. And I've locked pretty much the whole upper body with the pose, and have no clue why this is happening. I've never had similar issues before so I'm assuming it must be the fact it's rigged in this pose and then played in world. 

JcBW9YB.pngPD4wLnl.png

Edited by Ardentika
  • Like 1

Excuse my wild guess. I don't make mesh so I could be saying something silly here but do you have the arms of the coat rigged to the arms of the avatar? Since the arms will be stuck in one position constantly is it possible to just keep it all one piece rigged to the chest the same way the body of the coat is, pretending that arms don't exist.

4 hours ago, Ze Helix said:

Excuse my wild guess. I don't make mesh so I could be saying something silly here but do you have the arms of the coat rigged to the arms of the avatar? Since the arms will be stuck in one position constantly is it possible to just keep it all one piece rigged to the chest the same way the body of the coat is, pretending that arms don't exist.

Yeah, Claireschen mentioned Belle Epoque, and they have a group gift out right now that's exactly that. The outfit has "arms" that are part of the outfit and holding a grocery bag, and you alpha your real arms. It's like when you had paper dolls and some of the outfits had the arms as part of the outfit.

8 hours ago, Ze Helix said:

Yes they are rigged to a static pose. And I did try to remove the weights of the arms but then the whole mesh got broken, all sort of weird weights started happening. There really is not an option to rig just to the chest since the mesh body doesn't really have such an option. And I can't keep the sleeves separated while rigging because there will be holes in the seams. 

On 12/16/2021 at 10:02 AM, Ardentika said:

That is actually what I did, however the problem is the pose with the outfit does not look how it looks in blender and there is a lot of pulling happening that I can't seem to fix. This is how it looks in blender. The weights are not ideal but there is nothing weird going on. 

rimlRoX.pngA2KhBGs.png

And this is what's happening in SL. Weird weights, things poking through and the sleeves twisting. And I've locked pretty much the whole upper body with the pose, and have no clue why this is happening. I've never had similar issues before so I'm assuming it must be the fact it's rigged in this pose and then played in world. 

JcBW9YB.pngPD4wLnl.png

It seems to me that the jacket does not respect the physiognomy of the body.
It's probably just a weight paint problem, or you should reconsider the design of the sleeves.

One: What tool are you using? If it's vanilla Blender and you're using Fitted Mesh bones like R_LOWER_ARM, you'll get distortions. There are add-ons and other software that handle these bones correctly. Alternately, you may be able to get away with not using these bones if the jacket is puffy enough and the lesser shape customization isn't a deal-breaker.

Two: Putting armature customization into a piece of clothing is a bad idea because any clothing or body part you put on after it will probably reset your avatar to the skeleton in the new piece. Much better to rig the clothes to the same t-pose as all the other clothes and craft a simple one-or-two-frame animation to play in a high-priority loop to pose your arms how you want.

5 hours ago, Ze Helix said:

Oh, that's too bad because your coat is off to a great start! I hope you're able to get it figured out eventually.

Aww thanks a lot! I hope so too, did spend about a week to figure out how to make it lol

3 hours ago, Tama Suki said:

It seems to me that the jacket does not respect the physiognomy of the body.
It's probably just a weight paint problem, or you should reconsider the design of the sleeves.

I thought so too, and I tried everything possible with the weights, but had no luck fixing it. 

24 minutes ago, Quarrel Kukulcan said:

One: What tool are you using? If it's vanilla Blender and you're using Fitted Mesh bones like R_LOWER_ARM, you'll get distortions. There are add-ons and other software that handle these bones correctly. Alternately, you may be able to get away with not using these bones if the jacket is puffy enough and the lesser shape customization isn't a deal-breaker.

Two: Putting armature customization into a piece of clothing is a bad idea because any clothing or body part you put on after it will probably reset your avatar to the skeleton in the new piece. Much better to rig the clothes to the same t-pose as all the other clothes and craft a simple one-or-two-frame animation to play in a high-priority loop to pose your arms how you want.

Can you tell me what other addons and programs I can use to not get distortion? I am using blender and avastar. Also the problem with your suggestion is that I cannot get specific shapes of the mesh in Marvelous Designer in a T-pose, it's very rigid and limiting. One of the biggest creators I can think of who does a lot of hands in pockets is Amitomo. 

It could also be possible that you have a modifier in Blender that you have paused and you don't see it in action, but when you export in Collada this is applied. A guess.
But I also see that your jacket design is a bit bold for how the avatar wears it.
I have a feeling that maybe you should reconsider the design topology as a whole.

3 hours ago, Tama Suki said:

But more i look at this picture and more i think probably you assigned the weight paint of the mesh to the wrong bones. 

A2KhBGs.png

This picture is how it should look like. I will go back and check the weights again, even though I found nothing wrong with them. I probably bind and rebinded it 10 times. I just dont understand why it looks normal even when I move it around in blender, but the moment I upload it and the problem occurs...

And I dont think the design is this bold, look at this one. 

nqqqG1P.png

1 minute ago, Ardentika said:

This picture is how it should look like. I will go back and check the weights again, even though I found nothing wrong with them. I probably bind and rebinded it 10 times. I just dont understand why it looks normal even when I move it around in blender, but the moment I upload it and the problem occurs...

And I dont think the design is this bold, look at this one. 

nqqqG1P.png

I read earlier that you are using Avastar, but that skeleton looks like the basic one to me and not the Avastar rig.
I don't understand much because I don't use Avastar yet but it could be that your problem is caused by the way you export the file and all the options you might need to double check.

18 minutes ago, Tama Suki said:

I read earlier that you are using Avastar, but that skeleton looks like the basic one to me and not the Avastar rig.
I don't understand much because I don't use Avastar yet but it could be that your problem is caused by the way you export the file and all the options you might need to double check.

That's just the bones of Maitreya and avastar, no idea. 

• 2 weeks later...

First of all, Congrats, your rigging in a custom pose ended WAAAAY better than when I tried to do it.

The only problem I could see in the pictures was the shoulder clipping, does your custom pose has rotation on the shoulder bone? If it has, is the rotated shoulder pose your Bind pose? Avastar has the tendency to revert to the standard T or A pose the Kit originally had, when you export or rig.

The weird weights things, I dont see it, but avastar casts a ray from your body towards the mesh to calculate weight, if your jacket has 2 layers that are far appart, they will get different weights, and that can lead to issues.  The way I solve that, is by rigging using a single layer of clothes, and then copy that to make the second layer, or use solidify modifier to give the cloth a second layer.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 841 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.