Should being on a Homestead sim cause particles to fail?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 859 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

As the title... on my new home(stead), all my particle effects fire only intermittently. I can't see why that should be. Surely particles are just a viewer-side thing (once put in the prim properties)?

They'll fire a few particles, then stop for several seconds, then fire a few more. All the objects are working properly and work as normal elsewhere. Scripts are not interfering. Just at home, my fireplaces no longer burn, the snow particle emitter I'm currently wearing for my own personal snowstorm barely does anything and my twisted protocubes (I make them) don't sparkle.

So, is this expected behaviour?

Edit to add: This happens with Firestorm and official viewer, and on two very different PCs.

Edited by Rick Daylight

There aren't any. I know about particles. The objects I'm talking about that are failing are mostly my own made; I know the particle rates (well, I don't off hand, but I know it's not much). There's nothing else anywhere near me with particles. I'm in the middle of my third slice of a region.

Ahh... My mistake, there were one or two(!) particle emitters in the region, albeit on the very opposite side and double my 96m view distance. I thought particles outside my view distance wouldn't have effect... clearly that's wrong.

By one or two, I mean someone had so many snow rezzers over their house that the text shown by Render Metadata filled the screen when I cammed over. I wonder if they've noticed hardly any of them are emitting... or perhaps they just rez another when there's not enough snow!

Anyway, mystery solved. Derender/Blacklist saves the day.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 859 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.