Anyone else getting visitors from empty profiles that buy the land but not rent it, terraform the land ridiculously and then leave without answering IM?

Bold Burner

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 833 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Title says it all... 

I just had this happen today and I'm glad I'm was present to fix it asap. 
The person has been reported and banned from the estate, but that person might do it to more persons/landowners.

Besides it being reported is this something to expect when renting out land?
And what does someone do about it, beside reporting and banning from estate? 

Kind regards. 

16 minutes ago, animats said:

You mean "buy" from the estate manager, not from LL, correct?

He mentions "estate" a few times, so it would be a renter paying the estate owner a usually nominal amount to acquire land owner rights such as terraforming, and then paying a rental box to get the rental started and the box into the tenant's name.

I don't know of any way to get around what he's describing other than to turn off terraforming for everyone in the region controls. I suppose there could be some plan of "OK tenant, you pay the rent, then when I see you are serious, I'll set the parcel so you can buy it and have the rights that go with that". Probably not worth it if this has only happened one time. I've been estate manager on a few different estates and never run across someone pulling this stunt, so I suspect it's a rare occurrence.  

This is why you make the price of an estate parcel the first week's rent price or a legit intro rent price(with public advertising as such) and not something silly like $L0 or $L10.

Ridiculous pricing like that isn't fooling stable renters and only confuses people new to SL.

It might also just attract provocateurs who are actually competitors or those working for them.

17 hours ago, Bold Burner said:

Title says it all... 

I just had this happen today and I'm glad I'm was present to fix it asap. 
The person has been reported and banned from the estate, but that person might do it to more persons/landowners.

Besides it being reported is this something to expect when renting out land?
And what does someone do about it, beside reporting and banning from estate? 

Kind regards. 

I can't believe this is any kind of frequent occurrence, as most griefers have little or no cash to burn on an expedition like that.

Perhaps your landlord's competitors do, but not even likely there.

And the solution lies not in the forums but asking the owner of that estate/island to have rules about terraforming and ban those who violate them, which it sounds like he did. But I don't see how you are extrapolating from this one-time annoyance to some kind of phenomenon across SL.

I personally keep terraforming off on the island because sometimes disgruntled exes still with resident powers to terraform, or griefers on rogue viewers that override permissions can jack up the terraforming. Then if someone is new or needs to use it again I turn it on.

This buyer was "reported"—to the Estate manager, I hope, not to the Lab, inasmuch as using the terrain editor on land they bought is no kind of violation. It would, however, make them an undesirable future tenant on the Estate.

The other pesky semantic puzzle here is what it means to terraform land "ridiculously"; maybe the region's terraforming range is set too large, in the Region/Estate window, Terrain tab, Terrain Raise- and -Lower Limits.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/16/2021 at 1:13 AM, Prokofy Neva said:

I can't believe this is any kind of frequent occurrence, as most griefers have little or no cash to burn on an expedition like that.

A lot of estates charge only 1L to buy the land and then request you pay a rental terminal/box within a specified time. I can see where someone might buy up the 1L land, terraform to grief and never pay the rental box.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 833 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.