Mesh and lag.

Tama Suki

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 856 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

3 hours ago, Chic Aeon said:

And there is a lot of differences in the way mesh is made. One dense mesh object (render mesh most often) can be way more problematic that a dozen low poly mesh objects.  So all mesh is NOT created equal.  

Yeah sure.

Let's say i make a room, a simple cube very low poly without physic were avatar will be inside. This mesh will give more lag because you are inside?

Silly question i know, but because my sl experience is an all time lagging experience i can't understand well what other peoples feel.

1 hour ago, Tama Suki said:

This mesh will give more lag because you are inside?

Depending on the size and the physics it could generate a lot of collisions, which keeps the region busy processing them all. Seated avatars don't generate collision and so lighten the load on the region, likewise setting some parts of a build to no physics or an entire build to phantom also reduces the amount of collision processing to be done.

Edited by Profaitchikenz Haiku

1 minute ago, Profaitchikenz Haiku said:

Depending on the size and the physics it could generate a lot of collisions, which keeps the region busy processing them all. Seated avatars don't generate collision and so lighten the load on the region, likewise setting some pats of a build to no physics or an entire build to phantom also reduces the amount of collision processing to be done.

No physics, only a few mesh 64x64 and textured.

There will have to be physics for some parts of it otherwise you'll fall through the floor or walk through the walls. 

You can try going to the beta grid and uploading your mesh with several different settings for the physics LoD to get an idea of what the upload physics weights are, but I don't know how those affect resulting collision prrocessing.

I made some mesh platforms for a railway that were the full 64 metres on the long dimension back when I had a private island and saw nothing in the region top-collisions tab to suggest large mesh is any worse than large prims regarding collisions.

(Likewise I never saw any figures to support the old assertion that megaprims created more lag than prims because of increased collision areas).

4 hours ago, Tama Suki said:

No physics, only a few mesh 64x64 and textured.

If the physics is made correctly it can be "perfect" and not contribute much at all to a simple build. Adding those mesh prims to approximate actual physics just adds to the land impact.   So plenty of pieces to the puzzle.  

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 856 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.