Getting out of RP.

Niko Kozower

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3419 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I dont know, is it me or is RP always associated with some kind of drama? No matter the sim or theme, theres always some kind of drama or problem. Isn't RP supposed to be a way of relaxing or having "Fun". Everytime Im in a RP sim(s) its always some kind of drama. The only sim's I've been in that don't have drama or less of it anyway is Insilico they do a really good job there to keep the peace per se. Anyway I want your feedback, are you sick of RP because of Drama? Do you think RP always has Drama?

If you look up the word "drama" in a dictionary, you will find this ...

drama.jpg

And yes, in Second Life, there seems to be a lot more conflict than contrast when people are improvising, making up their stories as they go along, be it in roleplay, or in day to day living.  I equate RP in Second Life with joining an amateur dramatics group in real life; some people need a script or they easily go off at a tangent and end up over-acting! Insilico sounds like an extra good place for RP; other RP areas perhaps don't have such good directional/supervisory skills, which just is a shame.

Personally speaking, I don't tend to go to RP sims, but I do like a story that builds up with several characters on the forums, as on this other thread http://community.secondlife.com/t5/General-Discussion-Forum/A-Second-Life-Story/td-p/904869 . That's fun and relaxing for me.

But I do believe SL should be fun, and not full of schoolyard petty spats.

It is not that RP sims automatically are plagued with 'drama' but rather all places where a diverse group of people is supposed to work together are.  RP sims fall into this category too and the bigger the group of people is that playes on them the bigger the chance that some of those people will have problems with each other. It is impossible to keep a place visited by hundrets of people and constantly fileld with players free of problems so a certain level of drama tend to be present.

However it is not the RP or the sim causing it, but sadly it is a very certain type of people who bettter should read up on the definnition of words like 'fun', 'cooperation', 'respect', 'growing up', 'role playing' and a few more and reconsider what they are actually doing. Luckily they tend to get banned and booted quickly but sadly then move on to the next place.

It would be nice if everyone could behave but not only will misunderstandings and mistakes happen and lead to arguments, but also each sim will attrackt people who think they are above the rules and that their word is holy and that they are always right (this is also the type of people who maximizes any problem in the moment when people say 'no' to them and of course it is never their fault too).

RP sims don't have more drama then other places but the nature of a more closely tied community makes it sometiems more visible, even when the real ammount of drama is so small that one would have a hard time finding people affected by it.

Drama tends to occur when there is a misunderstanding on one or more people's part.

A RPer might think that:

1. his way of RP is the correct way,

2. the rules of the game don't apply to him,

3. he knows more than anyone else,

4. there is nothing wrong with his RL mental state,

5. his character should be the center of attention, and/or

6. he is a mature person in RL.

Just some things I have encountered when I used to play tabletop RPGs, there are more reasons to list, but computer RP and tabletop RP are the similar in terms of interaction and in causing the same issues.

Our sim recreates a neighbourhood, it is a strong community with people behaving like people, so yes you can't avoid drama.

Luckily generally the people here recreate daily life in the 1920s, so no gangster shootouts, wars, public nudity, etc

And if there are there is our police force to keep people in control.

We have plenty of rules and if roleplay drama comes dangerously close to griefing, we take staps.

If someone is no longer looking forward to visiting our sim because of how someone else is behaving, we try and solve it.

But you can't completely avoid it.

No, you cannot have rp without any drama. It is impossible. That said, you can find places that have a very bare minimum of it, and whose perpetrators are able to contain it enough so that it doesn't wreck the sim. I've been involved in a lot of rp sims and have only ever found one such place, but I found it and I'm hanging on to it.

Drama is inevitable wherever there is sex or combat, and these are some of the more exciting things to rp. The problem really comes when people do not divorce themselves from their character. In too many places, especially the places where people go to act out their sexual fantasies, they are not playing characters, but idealised versions of themselves. Therefore, if you offend their character, you offend them.

I started listing a few of the classic scenarios and then realised there are so many it would turn into the ultimate tl;dr cr@pflood. In a nutshell, many people come along not to develop plots and character, but to pretend to be an awesome fighter or an incredibly sexy woman every man wants to have, or a manly hybrid of James Bond and Chuck Norris. When they find everyone else wants to be the same thing, and people are not always willing to indulge their fantasy of being the best fighter since Zorro, or a fabulous sexy prize worthy of hours of attention to win, or a barrel chested ladykiller, the butthurt comes along in spades.

I used to mute and derender, but then it occurred to me how many laughs I could get out of it, so now I just suggest milking it.

"The pretend to be an awesome fighter or an incredibly sexy woman every man wants to have, or a manly hybrid of James Bond and Chuck Norris. When they find everyone else wants to be the same thing, and people are not always willing to indulge their fantasy of being the best fighter since Zorro, or a fabulous sexy prize worthy of hours of attention to win, or a barrel chested ladykiller, the butthurt comes along in spades."

Well this is a big big problem in almost every Rp going on in sl.  Role play games were not really designed to be played between more than 20 people at a time and continue 24/7 each day.  

People want to create a hero charicter and play out there fantasy as this charicter,  they know exactly who there charicer is and exactly how the game is surposed to be played.   To do this the must work your way up through various ranks to a place of power.  The most powerful people in any role play after the sim owners are the game masters.   Anything under this is pretty superficial but its always great to be a clan leader too.  

What I'm finding now is that many people seem to think they know enough about rp that no issues will arrise.  I found that quite often in shadowrun.  Its funny when people proceed to teach you how to rp correctly and start quoting random words which they have no idea of the underliying meaning of.  

OOC, god moding, drama, meta gaming.  

Drama isnt always caused by trollers and greafers either,  these people are easy to spot like robbers in masks and striped clothing.  I know a lot of drama comes from the very people who think they are great role plays and never ever cause drama.   

That's what I love about our rp sim.

We don't have heroes, leaders or moviestars.

We have bakers, barmaids, cleaners, people living in damp small rooms above smelly bars in stead of palaces, people mainly roleplaying day to day life.

Character Driven Role-Play Combat SIMs will always thrive over a strictly Roleplay SIM. If you provide for all parties, then it's going to go well. I agree with Dramatics, but it's simply the fact that we associate so much with our characters, that IC things that happen to them are as if they took a shot at us in reality. I tend to see Relationships arise a lot and those are a source for Drama, but that's always going to happen.

Resorting to my previous statements though, combat is typically what people strive for or from what I've seen, those are the SIMs that strive the best even for the roleplayers that don't really enjoy the combat much.

I've been rp'ing in the western sim of Tombstone for about a year now. Yes, there is drama sometimes, which cannot be avoided when you have different personalities coming together. But overall, our admins try their best to resolve the drama whenever it does happen.

Overall, it seems that most of the players in Tombstone enjoy being there, like I do, and we do our best to practice good rp, good manners, and just have a good time.

Give us a try sometime.

• 2 weeks later...

I did not read all the posts so my bad if this has been covered. 

Where you have a diverse group of people you will always encounter drama no matter what type of sim it is.  The real question is, is how the admins and the group as a whole handle the drama. 

Drama can tend to spin out of control if handled incorrectly and in a public fashion. Where the whole sim gets dragged into two people's drama. 

If I ever have an issue with a person the first line of defence, is to IM the player and have a frank open honest but respectful discussion with that person and really talk it out. 

When that fails ((which it does a lot as drama mongers tend to be immature)) second line of defence, Report to a sim admin and let them take care of the issue and avoid the person in my RP. 

Do not play in the drama mongers hands. Don't drag half the sim into your problem and let the admins take care of the rest. 

We all want to be free to RP and have fun on SL. By acting like a mature adult and following the steps you will not have to quit RP just quit the drama mongers.. They end up moving on anyways because most RP's I have been at don't put up with it. 

Hope this helps 

Lilly

• 8 months later...

"Luckily generally the people here recreate daily life in the 1920s, so no gangster shootouts, wars, public nudity, etc

And if there are there is our police force to keep people in control."

No gangsters in the 1920s?  Not sure about Berlin, but there was the Mafia in the US at least.  Not to mention 1920s was in betweeen 2 world wars, so to say there there was no warfare, or things leading up to warfare would be a bit misleading.  Not to mention, with the police being part of the RP, it's just as liable tor drama as any other part of the RP.

But yes, RP is filled with drama.  By its very nature it is supposed to have drama.  Just like books, movies, and TV shows are supposed to.  If they didn't, no one would watch them.  This doesn't mean that there can't be any rules.  there has to be a line drawn about what is and is not acceptable in a given RP.  The best stories out there work in a world that has its own set of rules and way to do things that the author had set up to work that way.  Thus should a RP sim.  The problem is defining the limits and enforcing them.  Rarely do many in SL want to do that, or you get the one that pretty much run their whole life as being an a**hat, just waiting for a moment to jump on someone and be an RP rules nazi.

But, for an RP to work, there has to be an adequate balance between rules and drama. Without it, there is no way to create a story, and there is no way to RP.  At least on any level that would make for decent RP. 

Crime yes, gangs yes, but gangsters like in the US, no, not really.

No people running around with Tommy guns, bootlegging, drive by shootings, etc.

Alcohol was legal, most drugs were legal, guns were not that easy to get your hands on and most crime was poverty related.

It was between 2 wars, so there was no warfare, 1929 is still a decade away from the next war so there wouldn't be much to notice about any coming war.

There are of course some signs of early Nazism but at this time they were not as big, they wouldn't be in power for another 4 years.

We do have crime but not on a scale as cities like Chigago and even in America at this time crime and gangsters were not part of daily life for most people.

Speakeasies, shootouts, men walking around with machine guns, bootlegging, etc, was something the average American only read about in the newspapers.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3419 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.