Big mesh

Tama Suki

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 862 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

43 minutes ago, Tama Suki said:

I suspected this was the answer after trying to do it somehow.
But if I remember correctly, maybe some time ago it was possible to do it. Maybe LL has limited this option?

The only exception to the 10m/64m object scale has been with megaprims, but that was before mesh even existed.

You could split your mesh object into 64sqm sections, though. Booleans or knife planes are probably the easiest or most precise for this.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Wulfie Reanimator said:

megaprims

Oh sure! The megaprims! I have a couple of folders of it lost somewere in my inventory for sure. 

What a far memory you bringed up to me! 😊

Sure I know how to create an asset 😝
But you know what you made me think tickling my brain anyway?
>>>> THE OCEAN MODIFIER <<<<<
Boom!

5cxubIL.gif

22 minutes ago, Wulfie Reanimator said:

You could split your mesh object into 64sqm sections, though.

A couple of important tips assuming it's a mesh ground:

1. Make sure all vertices along the edges are precisely positioned precisely down to a fraction of a millimeter.
  2. Make sure the highest and lowest vertice are positioned precisely on a whole centimeter.
  3. Make sure there are matching vertices all the way on both sections along the edge where they meet.
  4. Use custom normals to avoid visible seams between the sections.
  5. Keep in mind that if you upload a 64 m mesh, the uploader will scale it down a little bit. You'll have to resize it back to 64 m inworld and when you do, remember to use exactly the same scale along all three axises.

If you follow these four rules, you'll have no problem getting smooth invisible seams between the sections. If you don't, you're going to struggle.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ChinRey said:

A couple of important tips assuming it's a mesh ground:

1. Make sure all vertices along the edges are precisely positioned precisely down to a fraction of a millimeter.
  2. Make sure the highest and lowest vertice are positioned precisely on a whole centimeter.
  3. Make sure there are matching vertices all the way on both sections along the edge where they meet.
  4. Use custom normals to avoid visible seams between the sections.
  5. Keep in mind that if you upload a 64 m mesh, the uploader will scale it down a little bit. You'll have to resize it back to 64 m inworld and when you do, remember to use exactly the same scale along all three axises.

If you follow these four rules, you'll have no problem getting smooth invisible seams between the sections. If you don't, you're going to struggle.

Thanks ChinRey, we don't know each other, however I would like to be friends in world.
I would just like to ask you to reserve these comments of yours for the noobs that belong to your circle.
We've already had a nice and constructive discussion about meshing so I assumed you were aware that I don't need this kind of low-level noob instructions.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Tama Suki said:

We've already had a nice and constructive discussion about meshing so I assumed you were aware that I don't need this kind of low-level noob instructions.

Fair enough but remember others read these posts too. ;)

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ChinRey said:

Fair enough but remember others read these posts too. ;)

Perhaps it is for this reason that the level is so low in SL.
I wonder what job you will come up with when real professionals arrive in these parts.

Edited by Tama Suki

15 minutes ago, Tama Suki said:

Perhaps it is for this reason that the level is so low in SL.
I wonder what job you will come up with when real professionals arrive in these parts.

If SL isn't up to par with your intellectual level there are plenty of other places you can find I'm sure.

WTG insulting all of SL with one post. I think that is a record.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Sam1 Bellisserian said:

If SL isn't up to par with your intellectual level there are plenty of other places you can find I'm sure.

WTG insulting all of SL with one post. I think that is a record.

I have very little to do with intellectuals, sweetie.
I am a minimalist materialist.
I don't think I've insulted anyone specifically.
If you don't like what I write anyway I don't understand why you are glued to me. Could you please do me the delicious pleasure of ungluing you and go talk about your stuff in your circles?
If you need help with something, however, don't hesitate to ask me, maybe someone at Linden Lab could handle your attitude better.

In short, get a life.

Edited by Tama Suki
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Tama Suki said:

Actually, the LoD issue is something experienced professional 3D modellers often struggle with, partly because the way SL handles LoD is so different from, partly because the official documentation is so misleading.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 862 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.