Second Life on mobile? No! Give me a ******** symbiote!

Tama Suki

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1021 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

On 12/10/2021 at 1:18 AM, Tama Suki said:

...And do you know what will be the most beautiful thing?
It will be that we will be able to install symbionts also in the cerebral cortex of our dogs and they will finally be freed from the unfair linguistic limit in which we have selfishly held them prisoner for millennia and they will finally be able to make us understand what they really want when they stare at us. They will also be able to participate in public life by representing themselves in parliament and claiming their right to be taken for a walk or to establish a new constitution in which the right to poop at set times is essential.
This is the wonderful future that awaits us, don't be fixated on thinking of a stupid application to use on a stupid little cellphone.

We can already understand what our dogs and cats want when they stare at us. All it takes is years of watching them and interacting with them. They communicate their desires to us pretty effectively - if we pay attention to them, rather than just to our cell phones, televisions and computers. It helps to learn a bit about canine and feline behavior though, so as to not anthropomorphize their thoughts too much. In my experience, pets have pretty simple desires for food, attention, security, pack social status, physical exercise and mental stimulation.  They would not want nor enjoy our complex and misleading communication structures. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Krystina Ferraris said:

Maybe dogs should implant a symbiote  into our brains? there are many human languages but only one dog language.

I’ll volunteer for the first implant and ask for a horse one too while we’re at it 😆🐴

Psst... there really is more than one canine language, just as there is more than one feline. 

On the other hand, cats and dogs are closely related.

What was cool was when the pack started hanging out with the herd and the youngsters played together with no harm done.

Things aren't always what they seem to be. 😉

https://thechive.com/2018/02/21/horse-doesnt-give-two-fcks-about-pack-of-wolves-video/

Edited by Silent Mistwalker
  • Like 2

32 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

Psst... there really is more than one canine language, just as there is more than one feline. 

On the other hand, cats and dogs are closely related.

What was cool was when the pack started hanging out with the herd and the youngsters played together with no harm done.

Things aren't always what they seem to be. 😉

https://thechive.com/2018/02/21/horse-doesnt-give-two-fcks-about-pack-of-wolves-video/

That's true. The language of domesticated dogs is similar to the language of wolves, yet domesticated dogs have developed a kind of smile that mimics the human smile, something that wild wolves do not do. Coyotes, on the other hand, communicate in ways that are different enough from how wolves and domesticated dogs communicate that coyote-dog mixes can sometimes confuse domesticated dogs. Canine language is primarily a combination of vocal and body language cues. The bow that means "I want to play with you" is one example of the learned canine language of wolves and domesticated dogs. The side head tilt means, "I'm trying to understand what you're saying or why you're doing that."  I think they also do a "snort of disgust" when they don't like something, but I've yet to see this documented by a canine behaviorist. 

1 hour ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

What you think and the reality aren't necessarily the same thing.

Tell me all about it. My partner has a degree in maths and physics, she views the universe as duty-bound to obey the rules she thinks it ought to. I am an engineer, I know there's a lot of compromise, trickery and gaffer-tape required to coexist in the actual world.

Edited by Profaitchikenz Haiku
  • Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1021 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.