Second Life is more than a social network.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 149 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

10 minutes ago, Paul Hexem said:

Well. The person under the filters is.

Good point. So are the people behind our SL avatars of course - same thing really.

ย ย 

4 minutes ago, Nick0678 said:

[name removed] for example also uses photoshopped photos but still She IS [name removed].

No, please!

A model is an actor playing a role. Of course you can't play well without putting a little bit of yourself into your character but it's still not the same thing. Feel free to endulge in your fantasy; that's what those pictures and social media stories are for and there's nothing wrong with that. But do not for a moment confuse it with reality!

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Nick0678 said:

I can post male instagrammers if you prefer those since you are anti-women, i don't mind. Whatever you like ;)

Dan the Man , some folks thought he would go to prison and such but looks like he is still having a great life.

Seems to me from the MILLIONS of followers these people have that Instagram as a Social Network works great.

ย 

EnU38Ol.png

We prefer no Instagram here. Some of us have it already installed on our smartphones and are really capable of using it. Can you do that? I think you can since youโ€™re asking about our preferences. Thank you though for sharing your skills.ย 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

In what is probably a fruitless effort to get this thread back on track . . .

Yes, SL is, among other things, a kind of social media network. But it's one without a lot of the tools that users, particularly younger ones, expect from a social media network these days.

It's always struck me as a shame that LL did virtually nothing with Avatars United after they bought it, except to strip a few features from it to add to other parts of the platform. And I think it's a real pity that they never developed My Second Life properly, and most especially never integrated it into the viewer, so that it became more of an in-world tool.

What is really required now is image and video sharing software, and preferably something that is built into the viewer. Invariably, almost everyone I know now uses Gyazo to share pics in-world. What would, I think, both take off, and attract a younger demographic, is something like Instagram built into the viewer, that would allow people to share images, small snippets of texts, filters, and short video captures in-world. Too much of the social media component of the SL experience happens off-platform, and out of the in-world environment. (These forums are an example of that, actually.)

ย 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

However, I noticed that there are also people here who enjoy doing some sort of stalking by looking for my posts and putting mocking emojis on them. I've muted two for now. I am quite new here, I hope this is not the usual environment.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Tama Suki said:

However, I noticed that there are also people here who enjoy doing some sort of stalking by looking for my posts and putting mocking emojis on them. I've muted two for now. I am quite new here, I hope this is not the usual environment.

Oh please. No one is stalking you and that so called "mocking" emoji is people laughing because there is not a laughing emoji.ย  BUT feel free to block me too. In fact I would like you to. No need to announce that you have.

Edited by Sam1 Bellisserian
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Sam1 Bellisserian said:

Oh please. No one is stalking you and that so called "mocking" emoji is people laughing because there is not laughing emoji.ย  BUT feel free to block me to. In fact I would like you to.

Well then, I'll add the third one to the list.

unnamed.gif

• Haha 1

For me, this crossover into RL dissolves my immersion in SL. I still get an occasional RL image sent in world. It never helps build the fantasy.

I got told off once after a couple of minutes convo, for mentioning some really fringe groups a guy had on his profile. He accused me of judging him, which obvs I was.

Scylla is right. You get judged here on what you present. That's it, but be mindful that how you see yourself is rarely how others see you.

It's no big deal. Use the block button.

• Like 4

On 12/6/2021 at 7:39 AM, Tama Suki said:

Well, however, I think that for the user interface and usability Twitter is unrivaled.
It can simply be described as a katana of fine workmanship.
Facebook, on the other hand, is a circus bundled up with candied candies that only serve to decay the teeth.

I like how you think, Tama. I wonder how you would describe Instagram.
And btw, when I add a laughing emoji it is not to mock you, but to show that I admire your sense of humor.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Persephone Emerald said:

I like how you think, Tama. I wonder how you would describe Instagram.
And btw, when I add a laughing emoji it is not to mock you, but to show that I admire your sense of humor.

Buongiorno Persephone and thanks for the compliment.
Obviously I wasn't mad at you.
I'm relatively new here and still don't really know how the environment works. However, I noticed that a couple of accounts immediately targeted me and started putting sarcastic smiles on all my posts. Sarcastic because they put them out of context, or intentionally to mock the few serious things I've posted so far. They do it just to get unpleasantly noticed.
I know how this kind of attitude works on Twitter. users create bubbles that can be considered as small gangs and feed on each other by practicing that kind of hateful bullying aimed at a target that they consider a novice or a naive to crush morally because they must feel like superstars, an elite. The important thing is to ignore them completely and the problem is solved. I certainly don't want to turn this experience into a fight with someone. For that there are the combat sandbox inworld and if someone wants to play in this way it is certainly more fun to meet where the art of war can be expressed moreover also fun and non-toxic.
-
I opened an Instagram account a long time ago but never really used it and now it's been sleeping somewhere for several years. It didn't give me a good impression at first and I never got my hands on it again, so to be honest I'm not even sure how it works.

-

Anyway, for what little it may be of interest, I really like to joke and also be sarcastic, I have practiced the art of trolling a little bit everywhere but always maintaining a kind of honorable discipline where stalking or hateful attitude is banned and considering only the fun side (fun is an empathic and sharing experience and not a solitary swim in a mud pit).
Real life is already full of problems. Turning it into frustration by spitting it at random accounts in an inhuman way doesn't make sense.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

To me SL and social media, are two different things. Social media is something I use to primarily keep in contact with people I know in RL, often who live far away now and who I never really see. Second Life on the other hand is where I meet new people from various walks of life.

• Like 5

16 hours ago, Tama Suki said:

It is.

People's true personalities seem to come out here on the forums, and as was said before, Twitter is just for the instant brain fart stuff, it's utter rhubarb, apart from one doctor fellow I follow who shares some fab little videos of his garden friends, and this morning's sunset in the UK was sensational (but I slept through it).

Ironically my Facebook is in my Second Life name but is for real life friends/acquaintances who knew me from primary school and in various real life workplaces. I had a real life account but trashed it because of ... private real life reasons.ย 

Second Life and Facebook though are very different things. I feel I can really let my hair down in Second Life and real life friends don't really get it, they just think (know) I am a tad weird (in their eyes), and they are a tad normal (dull) in their lives.ย 

While I've seen a lot of sh1t written on these forums, I've never seen anyone upload a photo of the contents of their toilet as one of my friends did on Facebook! I thought I'd seen it all (and there is no unseeingย thatย ๐Ÿ˜‚ย ).

I can lose myself on/in Facebook for an hour though just looking at cute cat videos, but in Second Life I don't just lose myself for an hour, Iย findย myself by soothing my soul exploring. Rarely in Second Life do I end a session feeling as tense and frustrated as if I've been pulled down a black hole by other social media.

Facebook, twitter, etc., are just time fillers/killers. Second Life is ... a second life ... where parts of my brain that I don't get to use in real life come to life.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Marigold Devin said:

People's true personalities seem to come out here on the forums, and as was said before..

Well Mari i wouldn't be so sure about that, nothing should be taken seriously when it comes to strangers talking over the internet.

For instance i could post now something as Nick and come with another account and argue with Nick,ย  some people would take Nick's side and some the other side but in both cases behind the keyboard is the same person (or a group of people) that nobody knows*.

Anyone can play any role (even multiple roles for whatever possible reason) , married or single, man or woman, black or white, young or old, etc and most people would believe it due to lack of real knowledge of a person. Such manipulation techniques are also widely used during elections on the Major Social Platforms, it's not just SL, Twitter , forums or whatever.

ย 

(**of course if i say that i am Prince Nicholas of Denmark people wouldn't believe it and ask for proof ..isn't it amazing how the brain is programmed?)

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Nick0678 said:

Well Mari i wouldn't be so sure about that, nothing should be taken seriously when it comes to strangers talking over the internet.

For instance i could post now something as Nick and come with another account and argue with Nick,ย  some people would take Nick's side and some the other side but in both cases behind the keyboard is the same person (or a group of people) that nobody knows*.

Anyone can play any role (even multiple roles for whatever possible reason) , married or single, man or woman, black or white, young or old, etc and most people would believe it due to lack of real knowledge of a person. Such manipulation techniques are also widely used during elections on the Major Social Platforms, it's not just SL, Twitter , forums or whatever.

ย 

(**of course if i say that i am Prince Nicholas of Denmark people wouldn't believe it and ask for proof ..isn't it amazing how the brain is programmed?)

Some people are better actors than others. On the forums as well as on Facebook. Undoubtedly.ย 

And the vibe from some people - in real life, on Facebook, elsewhere on the internet, here on the forums, and in world - makes me stay the heck away from them.ย 

I know a tiny little bit about people playing roles. Just a little bit. Your information is invaluable though. Thank you.ย 

36 minutes ago, Alwin Alcott said:

not sure if i agree, i'm in real and inworld a lot nicer than here on the forums.

ย 

I had to read this a few times. You are nicer in real life and in world than you are on the forums?ย  Do you believe you are not nice on the forums? Or just less nice. I wonder why that is.

____

Words.

Meanings.

I once said to someone "I don't believe Jimmy Savile is guilty of all he has been accused of".

A couple of days later we were with a group of other friends, and this one blurted out "Mari thinks Jimmy Savile is innocent". Wow, the verbal bashing I got for that.

I did not say that I believed Jimmy Savile is innocent.ย 

I said "People's true personalitiesย seemย to come out here on the forums".

My perception only, as per the Savile!

ย 

ย 

ย 

Edited by Marigold Devin
I wonder, I really do
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I sometimes think of social media, as well as forums as I do the roads near where I live.ย  A lot of people are incredibly nice, they would go out of their way to help you out - but the moment they are behind the wheel Mr. Hyde comes out.ย  Likewise, people on social platforms can also transform, and let their emotions get the better of them.

I always thought it was kind of funny to see that transformation with drivers, they are all nice and kind but after they get on the road they kind of lose their minds start cursing, flipping people off, they won't let people in front of them.ย  It really does a number on their heads, I wonder if it is because they have been in so many situations where others have done the same to them that it becomes almost natural.ย  I think of it as a form of paranoia perhaps, like everyone is out to get them.ย ย 

• Like 2

Something more like that maybe:ย 

"The psychotherapist is focused on the patient, the patient is focused on himself. Both people present in the room bring their attention to only one person among those present: the patient! This is a distinctive feature of the psychotherapist-patient relationship."

With all possible exceptions and interpretations.

29 minutes ago, Istelathis said:

I always thought it was kind of funny to see that transformation with drivers, they are all nice and kind but after they get on the road they kind of lose their minds start cursing, flipping people off, they won't let people in front of them.

They are nice and kind to you, thier passenger, but consider that thier attitude towards other drivers, is still a form of kindness to you. They are determined to get you to your location as quickly as possible, and that requires they drive aggressively.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Ayeleeon said:

They are nice and kind to you, thier passenger, but consider that thier attitude towards other drivers, is still a form of kindness to you. They are determined to get you to your location as quickly as possible, and that requires they drive aggressively.

An angry aggressive driver is much more prone to an accident than a professional and assertive one. They also tend to be slower because they waste their time getting emotionally upset at others instead of planning out the best route to the destination.

• Like 5

48 minutes ago, Istelathis said:

I sometimes think of social media, as well as forums as I do the roads near where I live.ย  A lot of people are incredibly nice, they would go out of their way to help you out - but the moment they are behind the wheel Mr. Hyde comes out.ย  Likewise, people on social platforms can also transform, and let their emotions get the better of them.

Well i am sure that not everyone is a good person just because they seem to be helpful or they are cool when things go the way they like.

People who can't control their anger (feelings) are usually those that commit violent acts, once they "snap"ย  they hurt whoever is close to them,ย  sometimes even themselves. It's best to associate/interact with those who are easy going and open minded (...and of course funny cause you don't want to die of boredom..)

• Like 1

I must admit that I am a little embarrassed about what I read on this social about the other social networks.
Of course I can't check what I've posted and it certainly looks like a new and interesting experience.
Is it because we have three-dimensional experience?

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 149 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.