Second Life и облачные технологии

alrufo

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 833 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Одна моя знакомая, некогда заядлый секондлайфер, после большого перерыва решила таки заглянуть в Second Life. Пандемия COVID-19, изоляция и карантины, с ней связанные, стали одним из поводов вернуться в эту метавселенную. К её разочарованию, старенький ноутбук, который она раньше использовала для путешествий по SL, хотя и загрузил SL вьювер, но оказался практически не пригоден даже для сносного пребывания на самых "простых" локациях. ОЗУ добавить не получилось из-за ограничений материнской платы. Покупать новый ноутбук? Но так как она не играет в игры, а ребенок ещё слишком мал для них, вряд ли это можно было бы назвать разумной тратой денег в её случае. Тем более, что производительности ноутбука пока вполне хватает на то, чтобы посидеть в соцсетях или смотреть фильмы...

К счастью нашлось решение, которое можно назвать достойной альтернативой приобретению нового компьютера. Если, конечно, не сидеть в SL сутки напролёт :)

На рынке облачных вычислений уже давно появились предложения, которые позволяют арендовать виртуальные компьютеры различной производительности и в том числе с GPU, поддерживающими самые требовательные игры, в том числе и с трассировкой лучей.

На базе этих технологий в последние годы расцвел во всей своей красе облачный гейминг. Многие стали арендовать мощные виртуальные компьютеры, чтобы поиграть в самые последние требовательные игры, которые не тянет их домашняя машинка. Но ведь никто не запрещает арендовать такой компьютер и для погружения в Second Life?

Смотрите, если вам интересно, то  вы легко сможете найти самостоятельно такой облачный сервис, который Вам подходит больше всего. Если не хотите тратить своё время, то могу помочь и я. Я знаю, по крайней мере пять, из которых пользовался тремя.

Теперь я, всё-таки, хотел бы сформулировать идею, которая и "вдохновила" меня на открытие этого топика.

Итак, почему бы Linden Lab не организовать свой собственный сервис облачного гейминга, специализированного на Second Life?

Linden Lab уже давно пользуется  услугами Amazon, и на базе  EC2 AWS создать облачный гейминг будет проще простого. Вопрос, конечно, в том, на сколько этот сервис будут востребован, сколько активных пользователей вернётся в Second Life благодаря этому сервису?

Что скажете?

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/5/2021 at 8:03 AM, alrufo said:

One of my acquaintances, who was once an avid secondlife, after a long break decided to look into Second Life. The COVID-19 pandemic, isolation and quarantines associated with it, became one of the reasons to return to this metaverse. To her disappointment, the old laptop that she previously used to travel around the SL, although loaded with the SL viewer, turned out to be practically unsuitable even for a tolerable stay in the most "simple" locations. The RAM could not be added due to the limitations of the motherboard. Buying a new laptop? But since she does not play games, and the child is still too young for them, this could hardly be called a reasonable waste of money in her case. Moreover, the performance of the laptop is still quite enough for surfing social networks or watching movies ...

Fortunately, a solution has been found that can be called a worthy alternative to purchasing a new computer. Unless, of course, you don't sit in SL all day long :)

On the cloud computing market, offers have long appeared that allow you to rent virtual computers of various capacities, including those with GPUs that support the most demanding games, including those with ray tracing.

Based on these technologies, cloud gaming has flourished in all its glory in recent years. Many have started to rent powerful virtual computers to play the latest demanding games that their home machine can't handle. But after all, no one forbids renting such a computer for immersion in Second Life?

See, if you are interested, then you can easily find on your own such a cloud service that suits you best. If you don't want to waste your time, then I can help too. I know at least five, of which I have used three.

Now I, after all, would like to formulate an idea that "inspired" me to open this topic.

So why shouldn't Linden Lab host its own cloud gaming service dedicated to Second Life?

Linden Lab has been using Amazon for a long time, and building cloud gaming on the basis of EC2 AWS will be a breeze. The question, of course, is, how much will this service be in demand, how many active users will return to Second Life thanks to this service?

What do you think?

speedlight.io  is what is offered, the Lab themselves are not going to be developing anything cloud based rendering at this time.

13 hours ago, bigmoe Whitfield said:

speedlight.io  is what is offered, the Lab themselves are not going to be developing anything cloud based rendering at this time.

Я начал использовать speedlight.io практически сразу, как только они заявили о своём существовании :) К сожалению, это не та технология, о которой я говорю. В speedlight сцена создаётся движком браузера, ощутимо потребляя ресурсы центрального процессора локального компьютера. В некоторых системах даже не используется GPU, что крайне негативно сказывается на производительности, т.к. всю работу выполняет центральный процессор. Если когда-нибудь speedlight и сможет получить качество "картинки", сопоставимое с нативными вьюверами, то производительность будет значительно ниже, чем у того же Firestorm или Alchemy.

Я думаю, что Linden Lab следует подумать о экономической целесообразности сервиса, который будет передавать лишь высокочастотный видео поток, который смогут декодировать даже самые слабые компьютеры.

Что то похожее на GeForce NOW...

18 hours ago, alrufo said:

I started using speedlight.io almost as soon as they announced their existence :)Unfortunately, this is not the technology I am talking about. In speedlight, the scene is created by the browser engine, consuming significantly the resources of the local computer's central processor. Some systems do not even use a GPU, which has an extremely negative impact on performance. all the work is done by the central processor. If ever speedlight can get the quality of the "picture" comparable to native viewers, then the performance will be much lower than that of the same Firestorm or Alchemy.

I think Linden Lab should consider the economic viability of a service that will only transmit a high-frequency video stream that even the weakest computers can decode.

Something similar to GeForce NOW ...

its not a cheap solution and with the shortage of silcone in the industry and sky high prices of gpu's which you still need physically;  it's not bound to happen any time soon. 

40 minutes ago, bigmoe Whitfield said:

bit of something I just found. https://shadow.tech/

those guys supposidly can do it; but LL is not going to be able to throw the kinds of money around it requires;  this is not cheap; even on amazon aws hosting.

Да, именно такими сервисами пользуюсь и я, и моя знакомая, о которой я писал выше. Только Shadow не доступен пока в моей стране. Сейчас я использую сервисы Paperspace и Loudplay. У каждого из них есть свои достоинства и недостатки, о которых подробнее можно почитать здесь http://texno.info/2020/09/13/kak-prevratit-staryj-personalnyj-kompjuter-ili-noutbuk-v-moshhnuju-igrovuju-sistemu/?lang=en (english) или здесь оригинальная статья на русском языке http://texno.info/2020/09/13/kak-prevratit-staryj-personalnyj-kompjuter-ili-noutbuk-v-moshhnuju-igrovuju-sistemu/ (это ведь форум для русскоязычных пользователей Second Life). Эти сервисы предоставляют полноценный высокопроизводительный компьютер, на котором можно не только исследовать Second Life, но и играть в самые требовательные игры.

И это уже доступно прямо сейчас, никаких действий со стороны Linden Lab не нужно ждать.

Но Linden Lab могли бы развернуть на базе AWS специализированный аналогичный сервис, который бы предоставлял доступ лишь к вьюверу Second Life, запускающемуся на мощной машине в облаке EC2 AWS, ну и приложение для записи видео, конечно. Можно сделать так, как реализовано в  GeForce NOW. Разумеется, машинное время будут оплачивать только те пользователи Second Life, которые захотят получить в своё распоряжение эту технологию. Linden Lab не должны нести непосредственные затраты, они будут лишь посредником. Хотя, возможно, Linden Lab должны брать небольшую наценку на эти услуги, чтобы получить дополнительный интерес, кроме привлечения новых пользователей. В любом случае, если использовать spot инстансы, это должно быть дешевле, чем у Paperspace, Shadow и Loudplay.

On 12/24/2021 at 7:56 AM, alrufo said:

Yes, these are the services that I and my friend, about whom I wrote above, use these services. Only Shadow is not available in my country yet. I am currently using Paperspace and Loudplay services. Each of them has its own advantages and disadvantages, which you can read in more detail here http://texno.info/2020/09/13/kak-prevratit-staryj-personalnyj-kompjuter-ili-noutbuk-v-moshhnuju-igrovuju- sistemu /? lang = en (english) or here the original article in Russian http://texno.info/2020/09/13/kak-prevratit-staryj-personalnyj-kompjuter-ili-noutbuk-v-moshhnuju-igrovuju- sistemu / (this is a forum for Russian-speaking Second Life users). These services provide a complete high-performance computer on which you can not only explore Second Life, but also play the most demanding games.

And it's available right now, no action from Linden Lab needs to wait.

But Linden Lab could deploy a specialized similar service based on AWS that would provide access only to the Second Life viewer running on a powerful machine in the EC2 AWS cloud, and a video recording application, of course. You can do it the way it is implemented in GeForce NOW. Of course, only those Second Life users will pay for machine time who want to have this technology at their disposal . Linden Lab should not incur direct costs, they will only act as an intermediary. Though, it is possible that Linden Lab should charge a small mark-up on these services in order to gain additional interest beyond attracting new users. In any case, if using spot instances, it should be cheaper than Paperspace, Shadow and Loudplay.

startup costs at this time will be expensive, to expensive for the lab to take consideration seriously,  as even with aws and scaling,  there has to be physical hardware, Ll would be on the hook for the GPU's and with shortages and other issues facing people and companies right at this point in time,  this would be way later into the future if it was to happen.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/29/2021 at 8:14 AM, bigmoe Whitfield said:

startup costs at this time will be expensive, to expensive for the lab to take consideration seriously,  as even with aws and scaling,  there has to be physical hardware, Ll would be on the hook for the GPU's and with shortages and other issues facing people and companies right at this point in time,  this would be way later into the future if it was to happen.

Вы так уверенно об этом пишете, как если бы Вы уже видели бизнес-план ))) Если серьёзно, то, конечно же, всё это нужно обсчитать. Исходя из моих предположений, сервис облачного гейминга Loudplay имеет намного меньше пользователей, чем метавселенная Second Life, но это не мешает ему вот уже столько лет отлично зарабатывать на рынке облачного гейминга. Если же наши друзья из Linden Lab боятся новых начинаний, требующих определённого финансового риска, то они бы могли хотя бы попытаться начать с малого, реализовав, например, P2P механизм.
И да, эта модель тоже уже есть на рынке. Дорожка уже протоптана :)

Возьмём, например, платформу Drova.io. Интересна она тем, что у этой компании нет собственных компьютеров или серверов. Она работает по принципу коннекта между пользователями и называет эту схему P2P. Смысл вот в чём: ПК в аренду сдают такие же игроки, как и мы с вами, но, естественно, не просто так, а за 80% от оплаты. Со стороны же пользователя всё выглядит стандартно: ставим программу от Drova.io, выбираем, во что хотим поиграть, коннектимся, вводим пароль от Steam или любого другого сервиса и наслаждаемся.

Что же мешает Linden Lab организовать таким же образом связь между теми пользователями, которые хотели бы продать неиспользуемые мощности своих компьютеров тем пользователям, которые хотели бы их купить?

Мне кажется, что ничего не мешает кроме не желания развиваться и двигаться вперёд.

P.S. Всех причастных - с праздником! Поздравляю всех, кто празднует Рождество Христово 7 января! Желаю, в первую очередь - крепкого здоровья вам и вашим близким! Пусть, несмотря ни на что, радость и удача улыбаются вам весь год, пусть ваши души будут наполнены счастьем и любовью! И пусть ваш стол всегда будет вкусным и щедрым, и за этим столом будет большая компания дорогих вам людей!!!
С Рождеством!

8 hours ago, alrufo said:

You write about it so confidently, as if you have already seen a business plan))) Seriously, of course, all this needs to be short-circuited. Based on my assumptions, the cloud gaming service Loudplay has much fewer users than the Second Life metauniverse, but this does not prevent it from making excellent money in the cloud gaming market for so many years. If our friends at Linden Lab are afraid of new ventures that require a certain financial risk, then they could at least try to start small, by implementing, for example, a P2P mechanism.
And yes, this model is already on the market too. The path has already been trodden :)

Take the Drova.io platform, for example. It is interesting because this company does not have its own computers or servers. It works on the principle of connection between users and calls this scheme P2P . The point is this: PCs are rented by the same players as you and me, but, of course, not just like that, but for 80% of the payment. From the user's side, everything looks standard: we install the program from Drova.io, choose what we want to play, connect, enter the password from Steam or any other service and enjoy.

What prevents Linden Lab from organizing in the same way a connection between those users who would like to sell the unused capacity of their computers to those users who would like to buy them?

It seems to me that nothing interferes with the desire to develop and move forward.

PS Happy Holidays to everyone involved! Congratulations to everyone who celebrates Christmas on January 7! First of all, I wish you and your loved ones good health! May, in spite of everything, joy and luck smile at you all year, may your souls be filled with happiness and love! And may your table always be tasty and generous, and at this table there will be a large company of people dear to you !!!
Merry Christmas!

Majority of SL users are on 10+ year old hardware, some of htem are even using XP.   The ones like myself that has the capacity are not going to take it kindly and having us trying to offload other users using our hardware,  I'm not sharing,  that's pretty simple on my part. 

13 hours ago, bigmoe Whitfield said:

Majority of SL users are on 10+ year old hardware, some of htem are even using XP.   The ones like myself that has the capacity are not going to take it kindly and having us trying to offload other users using our hardware,  I'm not sharing,  that's pretty simple on my part. 

И тем не менее, технология "облачного" P2P, также как и традиционные серверные облачные технологии, вполне себе работает и уже давно. Вы сами можете убедиться, что есть и спрос, и предложение:

https://drova.io/stations

Поэтому я полагаю, что найдутся пользователи SL, которые с радостью и за разумную оплату согласятся делиться своими ПК с другими пользователями SL, которые захотят за это платить.

Определённо, это работает!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 833 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.