I select 'lie down' on couch. I dutifully lie down, but my partner only sees standing up.

AnthonyLovett

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 866 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Why would it be that I see my chosen animation normally, i.e. lying down on a couch, but my partner sees only me standing up when he lies down. This happens despite relogging, clearing cache, standing up then trying again... I use Firestorm (latest version), he uses SL Viewer (latest version) but this has never happened before. He keeps saying that, what I am seeing is local to my machine. I keep saying no, the animation scripts are held and generated in SL and that his browser must be at fault. It's been happening for 3 or 4 days now. Neither of us have changed anything. I have even removed all my huds. Not just turned them off, but removed them. We get the same result. Since this has only recently started to happen, could it be an SL problem. Could my partner really be right saying I am seeing only things happening local to my machine. There are far too many variables possible for me to work it out. I just wondered if anyone else who has had this issue would have a fix for it.

To sum up, it's highly perplexing, Why does it happen? How can it be fixed?

9 minutes ago, AnthonyLovett said:

Why would it be that I see my chosen animation normally, i.e. lying down on a couch, but my partner sees only me standing up when he lies down. This happens despite relogging, clearing cache, standing up then trying again... I use Firestorm (latest version), he uses SL Viewer (latest version) but this has never happened before. He keeps saying that, what I am seeing is local to my machine. I keep saying no, the animation scripts are held and generated in SL and that his browser must be at fault. It's been happening for 3 or 4 days now. Neither of us have changed anything. I have even removed all my huds. Not just turned them off, but removed them. We get the same result. Since this has only recently started to happen, could it be an SL problem. Could my partner really be right saying I am seeing only things happening local to my machine. There are far too many variables possible for me to work it out. I just wondered if anyone else who has had this issue would have a fix for it.

To sum up, it's highly perplexing, Why does it happen? How can it be fixed?

I love these quirks in Second Life. I recently went on a helicopter flight with someone whose head was always out of the top of the front window on my viewer but not on his. I put it down to the scripts in his helicopter and how his own viewer dealt with it, and just laughed it off.  

I am sorry that I don't know how to fix this.  You say this has only recently been happening. Since Tuesday evening perhaps? Sometimes weird stuff happens after each Tuesday rollout. And sometimes new code doesn't work quite how it should and things are rolled back again by Linden Lab. Maybe see what happens after next Tuesday, or for now have a pop in on the official Second Life viewer if you're just wanting to share the sofa for a while. 

Edited by Marigold Devin
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, AnthonyLovett said:

Funny you should say that. And, to support that theory, this does not happen on other parcels. Only on our Linden Home parcel.

Weird stuff. I love the weird stuff, but I'm not computer code competent enough to tell you exactly why this happens.  Someone may be along shortly to give you an alternative answer and better advice.  

Edited by Marigold Devin
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, AnthonyLovett said:

Why would it be that I see my chosen animation normally, i.e. lying down on a couch, but my partner sees only me standing up when he lies down. This happens despite relogging, clearing cache, standing up then trying again... I use Firestorm (latest version), he uses SL Viewer (latest version) but this has never happened before.

Something is badly wrong, and it's not your fault. File a JIRA. Give the "about" info from the viewer for both viewers. Mention how many times you've seen this. Can you reproduce it on request?

Scripts should have no effect on this.

Anyone else seeing this?

Edited by animats
  • Thanks 1

I'm also noticing a growing number of quirks with animations. While couples dancing, the animations invariably lose sync and I hit CTRL-S to resync. He then assumes a sitting position until the animation cycles again. Not just him, but often 2 or 3 other people in the room. I've also tried disabling my AO and removing all HUDs from the display but to no effect. Should I expect to see a black cat walk by twice?

Animations run in the local viewer. When an animation is to be played is controlled by the server. Which animation is to play is a mix of viewer and server. Your AO or the thing you sit on tells the server which animation is to play now. The server delivers that animation to the viewer and then you see it when the viewer animates your avatar.

Animation files arrive in each viewer at different times. We have Ctrl-S to sync animations, which is a  local in our viewer only sync.

The CDN is supposed to be flawless. But I occasionally get textures that absolutely refuse to fully render. I suspect a problem at the CDN. If that is actually what is happening, then it could happen to animations also.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 866 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.