How do I make a small movement with my avatar

FuzzytheBear

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 870 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

If I sit on a piece of furniture there is usually a HUD option which allows me to move my Avatar to an optimum position in small steps. If I try to move my avatar to align with a none scripted object, the standard movements are approx 1m forward and 1.5m step sideways. Is there a way to reduce this movement by the avatar?

8 answers to this question

I see.  I thought you were sitting on an unscripted prim, like a cube, and I didn't know of any way to change your sit position in that situation, other than adding a script like AvSitter to the object, so I was curious if you'd found a way!

I have a hugger device I use all the time. When you activate it, it sends an animation offer to the target avatar. If they accept, the device moves the two of you together and performs the animation.

While it gets the two of you together, you can be mis-aligned if the two of you are not facing each other at the start.  It turns out that you can rotate your avatar (left and right arrow keys, or A and S keys) even while the hugger is animating you, and rotation steps can be quite small, if you are fast with your key taps.

Exactly HOW it moves the two of you together, I have no clue, so like any good teacher, I will get out of it by declaring "That's left as an exercise for the student".

10 hours ago, FuzzytheBear said:

If I sit on a piece of furniture there is usually a HUD option which allows me to move my Avatar to an optimum position in small steps. If I try to move my avatar to align with a none scripted object, the standard movements are approx 1m forward and 1.5m step sideways. Is there a way to reduce this movement by the avatar?

There is no way, I'm aware of, to move your avatar precisely.  As @Lindal Kiddsaid, fast on the key is the only option for forward and back movement and right/left which turns instead of moving you to the left/right.  The one option you do have control over is up/down which can be more precisely controlled with Height Offset.

No. The size of those adjustments is set in the script that controls them. The only way to change them would be to have access to the script and be able to update it.  Only the creator generally can do that.  And, honestly, very few furniture designers would know how. Most designers use one of the common systems like AvSitter and are only familiar with some of its most basic functions.  Until a few years ago, furniture used to handle seating by using pose balls, which now look terribly dated and clumsy.  Their one big advantage, though, was that anyone could use the simple build tools in the viewer to adjust them. If you have furniture with no scripted system at all, you could still do that.

Thanks to Rolig and Lindal for their replies. I am moving my avatar, using the Firestorm movement controls. My avatar is simply standing in a stationary position. So 1m corresponds to a step forwards and 1.5m a step to the left, which of course involves a turn. The movements have been measured relative to a standard build cube. I am not using any animation, other than the basic (out of the box) AO.

So my question is to do with step size and can it be reduced.

The background of the question relates to the alignment of two avatars, prior to invoking an animation which is contained within an object either worn or carried by one of the avatars.

So, for instance a couples dance, a kiss or a hug.  Ideally the avatars would be aligned to each other, but there is no provision for adjustment.  The initial positioning of the two avatars appears to be critical, but fine adjustment to examine this criticality does not appear to be possible.

12 hours ago, Lindal Kidd said:

I see.  I thought you were sitting on an unscripted prim, like a cube, and I didn't know of any way to change your sit position in that situation, other than adding a script like AvSitter to the object, so I was curious if you'd found a way!

I have a hugger device I use all the time. When you activate it, it sends an animation offer to the target avatar. If they accept, the device moves the two of you together and performs the animation.

While it gets the two of you together, you can be mis-aligned if the two of you are not facing each other at the start.  It turns out that you can rotate your avatar (left and right arrow keys, or A and S keys) even while the hugger is animating you, and rotation steps can be quite small, if you are fast with your key taps.

Exactly HOW it moves the two of you together, I have no clue, so like any good teacher, I will get out of it by declaring "That's left as an exercise for the student".

Thank you very much Lindal. I think the rotation suggestion may work. I also have a hugger device and observe, as you have, that the starting position is critical. This gives me an incentive to get to grips with the scripting language :)

11 hours ago, Rowan Amore said:

There is no way, I'm aware of, to move your avatar precisely.  As @Lindal Kiddsaid, fast on the key is the only option for forward and back movement and right/left which turns instead of moving you to the left/right.  The one option you do have control over is up/down which can be more precisely controlled with Height Offset.

My thanks to you for your response. I will practice with the fast Left/Right method.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 870 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.