East River International Airport is going

animats

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 714 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

The ERIA city area, with the big airport and tram system, apparently reverted to LL. It's now owned by a Linden and ban lines are up. The tram system is still trying to run but hits the ban lines and stops.

Sad. That was one of the nicer city big city builds on mainland.

• Sad 3

Unfortunately, one or two major landowners left, and one of those landowners had the land that the airport was on. Apparently they weren't able to find new investors to save it. 

As of a week ago, it was predicted they'd be losing about 75% of the land in the community, but I don't know the current status. Hopefully they were able to save a smaller area to regroup and continue on.

• 2 weeks later...

I just saw a new group notice advising that Helvellyn has been abandoned and cleared, too. The Township of Helvellyn was the heart of ERC, so I think that sadly, it really is at an end now.

I was a part of that community years ago, and it was quite something in its heyday. Elisha Paklena's transportation builds were an amazing experience.

To see some old photos of ERIA, check out Torley Linden's Flickr

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

20 minutes ago, Stefanie Starlight said:

How old was it?  Not old enough for LL to consider it for preservation as a legacy build, apparently?  (Even if it wasn't to be accessible for residence and landholding)

The old ERC blog is a good way to learn about the community, which started in 2008. I don't know what criteria LL uses when it preserves locations. Maybe being on the Mainland was a factor. 

• Like 1

Blackslough has been sold via auction. Pippen, along with parts of Helvellyn and Grizedale, are currently on the auction list (ending noon today). 

There are still quite a few of the old spots left, including the smaller ER Municipal Airport, which I suppose is one of the advantages of having various groups owning land. Maybe the remaining groups can keep their parcels going so that the community is not totally lost. 

6 hours ago, Sylvia Tamalyn said:

Blackslough has been sold via auction. Pippen, along with parts of Helvellyn and Grizedale, are currently on the auction list (ending noon today). 

There are still quite a few of the old spots left, including the smaller ER Municipal Airport, which I suppose is one of the advantages of having various groups owning land. Maybe the remaining groups can keep their parcels going so that the community is not totally lost. 

Blackslough has been sold to an airport builder. Helvellyn has not been sold yet; those auctions close at noon SLT on Sunday, and the current bids are at L$0.50/m^2.

On 12/18/2021 at 4:54 PM, animats said:

Blackslough has been sold to an airport builder. Helvellyn has not been sold yet; those auctions close at noon SLT on Sunday, and the current bids are at L$0.50/m^2.

That's some good news at least. Here's hoping others buy and contribute to East River in one way or another.

It's a mess now. The RapidER transit system still has a few stations and tracks, but they're not connected. Roads end in midair at the edge of properties in Grizedale and Helvellyn. Somebody is starting to build where the East River International Airport used to be, but it's very basic building. East River Municipal Airport is intact, for now. The big suspension bridge and its roads, which are not Linden roads, are still up, with signs for places that no longer exist and bits of RapidER track.

So many people must have worked hard to make all those pieces connect.

Edited by animats
  • Like 1

I have been watching the map, and it seems like a couple more abandoned parcels up for auction appear almost every day (the most recent being in Hardknott). There's a big chunk of Grizedale that was purchased today, and it looks like the new owner is hoping to deed it to one of the ERC land groups. 

1 hour ago, Sylvia Tamalyn said:

I have been watching the map, and it seems like a couple more abandoned parcels up for auction appear almost every day (the most recent being in Hardknott). There's a big chunk of Grizedale that was purchased today, and it looks like the new owner is hoping to deed it to one of the ERC land groups. 

I won the Hardknott auction and while my passion is boats and exploring I am very conscious that I am in an area of historic importance and hope I can make my small land sympathetic to the surroundings and as far as possible to the ethos of the area. Whatever I do it cannot be as bad as banlines and this building just up the river:

image.png.389605a7638ba053b80ebc815c3fe1d8.png

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Lloyd Overland said:

I won the Hardknott auction and while my passion is boats and exploring I am very conscious that I am in an area of historic importance and hope I can make my small land sympathetic to the surroundings and as far as possible to the ethos of the area. Whatever I do it cannot be as bad as banlines and this building just up the river:

image.png.389605a7638ba053b80ebc815c3fe1d8.png

I'm glad you got it! I'm assuming you mean the one down on the water. I considered bidding on it myself just to make sure it didn't turn out like... *points to the photo*, but I know it's in good hands now. I came across a parcel in Helvellyn (I think) the other day that had banlines. 😐

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Update about the shrinking East River community lands: A group notice has just come out advising that the land that ERMA is on is going to be reclaimed by LL (per notice from Guy Linden) unless someone takes over the tier for it. 

EDIT: For those not familiar with the area, this is the smaller airport in Brooks, not the larger airport ERIA discussed previously in this thread. 

Edited by Sylvia Tamalyn
  • Thanks 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 714 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.