Why are so many BOM skins sold as tattoo layer instead of skin layers?

Jennifer Boyle

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 812 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

1 hour ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Can you wear more than one SKIN layer?

No.

And, the reason is just as you said; the skin layer tends to be used for the body (or head), and the tattoo layer for the head (or body), to allow the body skin to be used for a variety of head skins (I've seen different brands do either of the two options for which is the skin and what goes on a tattoo/universal layer).

• Like 1

You have 60 layers in total.  So doubtful will run out.  UNLESS ...   you wanna wear 60 alphas too so can be 'super invisible'    o.O

But in attempting to be serious....  

What I have seen with the body textures on the skin layer, and the head (sans Ear, if Evo X) on the tattoo layer is this.  On the upper torso texture component of the tattoo layer is a neck texture that can provide a blend to transition to the body layers texture.   Is subtle but can be useful in mixing and matching.

My assumption is that the face skins are on a tattoo layer since the ordering is sys skin, tattoo, then universal, and thus is 'next to the skin' and can allow older effects tattoos to be layered on top.    

Now ... Via the edit outfit wrench on the appearance floater is a mechanism to adjust layer ordering post wearing layers.

Of course this means when you replace an old face skin with a new face skin, then all you have to do is go thru and reorder and resave "EVERY SINGLE SAVED APPERANCE!"   so your hairbase is visible and your BOM eyeliner is actually on top of the eyeshadow...   but eh?  is something to do.       

However the tattoo is still limited compared to the universal with the number of bake channel options, thus you get to have the 'skin components' scattered across a system skin, tattoo layers,  universal layers.   

Which in turn means if you need to add textures that apply specific effects on top of the skin to one of the Universal only channels,  then you have to duplicate that on a universal layer.

So I think that was the logics behind the feature request to have the universal between the skin and the tattoo.  Which didn't happen, but kinda makes sense or did make sense,  because the initial reason behind the tattoo layer was to replace the 'actual tattoo slots'  per the original system skin.   

Of course as one of those 'christmas wish list things'...

Some combination of adding the additional channels to tattoo layers, so can be used on new tattoo layers.  As well as other possibilities like having a universal type layer that can be assigned into a subgroup Slot in the bake stack.

While that Sounds 'DIfferent and Strange',  result is that the End user can decide their own means of grouping those layers.    Is kinda a loose analogy to how one can assign alternate attatchment points to a rigged mesh, but it still lands where is rigged.      Sounds convuluted at first, but is basically just adding a kinda abstraction layer to avatar body painting.    Example being  assign Skin 'stuffs' to Slot A,  Skin Addons like scars and tatttos to Slot B,   Makeups to C and D,   Body Hair to E,  Happy fun time layers to F, etc.     Have some of the slot potentials be between the skin and the current tattoo layer and maybe others on top of the jacket layer.  Is so that the 'End User defined group layers' still behave like wearing multiple types of the same layer, like a jacket or whatever.   Is just use a layer that holds all the possible texture channels, unlike the old way of needing to spread a thing onto both shirt and pants, or socks underpants and jacket (think old system stockings and garter belt), and then let the end user define it.

Anyway...   done rambling.   Need Coffee!

Edited by KathrynLisbeth

13 hours ago, Jennifer Boyle said:

Is there some advantage to using the tattoo layer?

Two disadvantages I can think of are that a tattoo layer can be worn in the wrong order with respect to other tattoo layer, e.g., a tattoo, and that it takes a clothing layer slot needlessly while leaving the skin slot unused.

Its unlikely you'd run out of clothing layers.

The main reason its done is to make skin creation (and purchase) easier & cheaper.  The creator need make only one body skin per tone, with several separate head skins. This saves them a lot of time.  Also, suppose a complete skin is L$1000 and the creator splits them up; L$400 for the body and L$600 for the head skins.  Now if you want more than one, instead of buying them for L$1000 each, you buy the body skin once and just buy new head skins. So two skins will cost you L$1600 instead of L$2000.

• Like 3

I thin its because before BOM, when all skins were on appliers, people got used to having separate head and body skins, and creators likely wanted continuity in their prducts after BOM was released. Having either the head or the body skin on a tattoo layer was the way to do that.

I'm not sure its cheaper. Many creators seem to sell head-only skins for as much as they would have charged for a whole one pre-mesh, and then they're charging for the body on top.

Also, I've noticed the tread of creators doing ONLY head skins and make.them to match body skins from other creators.  Some use a neck.blender section or separate neck blender to.use with those body skins.  I don't know why this trend began but I dislike the neck blends.

• Like 6

6 hours ago, Karly Kiyori said:

I thin its because before BOM, when all skins were on appliers, people got used to having separate head and body skins, and creators likely wanted continuity in their prducts after BOM was released. Having either the head or the body skin on a tattoo layer was the way to do that.

I'm not sure its cheaper. Many creators seem to sell head-only skins for as much as they would have charged for a whole one pre-mesh, and then they're charging for the body on top.

I'd say it's not because of appliers, but because selling body and head skins separately is pretty much only viable option now. I know some skin creators still sell "full body+head" skins, but they are rarity.

As for why it's the only viable option - too many bodies out there now, and while technically most of them use standard UV, they are not exactly the same. Toes, nipples and navel rarely align if put skin made, say for Legacy on Maitreya body and vice versa (same for the Belleza, Kupra and so on), so in order to release a new head skin the creator would have to upload countless versions of it that fit different bodies. Most skin creators offer at least a few brow colors for their head skin, and (usually) 3 versions of the body skins: normal/cleavage/petite.

Lots and lots of unnecessary work and uploads, so even if some creators would do it, I have no doubt they'd just raise prices to make up for it, so it would be the same thing as we have now by buying body skins separately.

6 hours ago, Rowan Amore said:

Also, I've noticed the tread of creators doing ONLY head skins and make.them to match body skins from other creators.  Some use a neck.blender section or separate neck blender to.use with those body skins.  I don't know why this trend began but I dislike the neck blends.

Yeah, I've noticed it too, lots make head skins for the "Velour" body skins. Not a fan of that trend myself, because I don't like those body skins one bit (I usually go for the very pale skins and that creator certainly didn't get the pale skin right). Not a fan of neck blends either. But the trend is probably easy to explain, at least from smaller creators point. Those body skins already have a large userbase and they are probably happy with the body skins and skin tones in general, so introducing another head skin in the familiar tone is probably much easier, than getting people to switch to a completely new skin tones.

I suppose it also offers a wider variety than a a single creator doing skins for their own skin tones. Good example here would be Glam Affair as they make a LOT of skins. Their latest line (since they switched from line 2, which had very poor body skin quality) is pretty decent in my opinion, but with so many of them out there... they are very samey. It's really okay, a creator has her vision and does what she likes, but variety suffers a great deal. If she'd let other creators to use her skin tones too, then variety would be much better and people who like her skin tones would have a better choice and also would more likely stay on those skin tones instead of switching to something completely different if they wanted another look.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I REFUSE to buy a two part system skin.  That's what a BOM skin is.  I absolutely hate the money grab and the additional complexity.  just make skin. My human body has one skin.  I never enjoyed having two part skin when there were appliers and I see no reason to continue that nonsense now the need for it is gone.  But maybe it's just me.  I absolutely hate the trend.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, DeepBlueJoy said:

I REFUSE to buy a two part system skin.  That's what a BOM skin is.  I absolutely hate the money grab and the additional complexity.  just make skin. My human body has one skin.  I never enjoyed having two part skin when there were appliers and I see no reason to continue that nonsense now the need for it is gone.  But maybe it's just me.  I absolutely hate the trend.

Just wait until someone tells you about wearing a mesh body over your regular body, and a separate head on top of that...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, DeepBlueJoy said:

It is not a money grab.  Separating the Head and body skins was normal with applier skins, because mesh head and bodies are separate items. Many different heads and bodies.... BOM did not change the reasons that was necessary.  BOM has made it much easier though to mix and match ...... sooooo much easier.  And way more efficient for designers, they can focus on making new head skins. No need to add a body skin each time, for each skin made for a specific head.

You are free to dislike it.  I personally now prefer being able to use my fave body skin with the head and head skin of my choice.  

Edited by Tarani Tempest
clarity
  • Like 1

I don't have the skill to make a skin for myself.  But I want a unique skin, so I use the layering technique.  The base body and face skin is a skin usually, but I have also used a matching pair of body and face BoM-tattoos over any old skin.  Then I build up the look I want with tattoo layers, currently my main avatar has 6 or 7 layers on the face and 3 on the body.  So things like spots, freckles, veins, wrinkles, blush, stretch-marks, eye-fold-adjusters etc.,  as well as body-art, are all added in sequence.

For me BoM (aka Tattoo layer) has enhanced SL amazingly.  I am not attracted to the new skins advertised in such profusion, but I do check out the body-tones, and then the add-ons from my go-to Izzie's.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DeepBlueJoy said:

And again - lots of bodies and lots of skin options. What you propose is creators making at the very least 3 skins combinations per major body brand (normal/cleavage/petite), probably more if they include extra options. Body skins don't align well between different bodies, so that's the only option unless a certain creator chooses to support only 1-2 bodies (which means money loss for them).

Now most head skins also come with at least 5 options for brows, from dark to light and no brows to use something else. That would make up to a countless combination of those as well. And if you say "just put brows onto a separate bom layers", then it's not any different than having a head skin on the very same bom layer. I suppose you might dislike having hairbases and other details separately too, though. Because it's the very same system.

So, of course, you're free to "hate" anything you want, but it's not a trend, it's the only sane solution for the market with so many bodies and heads. System avatar days when everyone was wearing exactly same "brand" are long gone.

Edited by steeljane42
  • Like 4

I am using YS&YS skin, and it is a full skin, body and head in one. But I notice that the skin is made for different heads, and the body is Maitreya. Other bodies is available as appliers. That sucks for others, but not for me who uses Maitreya. Maybe the creator will offer other bodies as tattoos.

I much prefer to have the face skin as a "skin" and not a tattoo. No risk of taking it off by accident. So I don't loose face. ;)

Is it possible to have a "lock" option for layers? Maybe it is for the restricted viewers, but I don't use those. 

Edit to add more info: It is not only skins in the pack, but different tattoo skins too. The body skin "may" work on other bodies than Maitreya. Skins and tattoos comes with and without eyebrows.

Read the full information here: https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/YSYS-Camilla-Tone-03-BOM-Skins-LELUTKA-EVO-X-EasyPack/22225876

Edited by Marianne Little

I think what makes it a pain is that you need lessons to use your body in SL. 

I just introduced a newbie to applying a mesh body and tried to help him get himself looking 'normal' and he found it stressful in the extreme.  He said "i think I just want to stick with the newbie body". 

I think the endless complexifying will continue to discourage newbies who don't want to spend their entire lives chasing the perfect look.  It is fine if people want to have all these 'options' - though so many of them look like clones, I'm not sure they're understanding the idea of 'custom' all that well.

I like playing dress-up to some degree, but I actually find skin with brows and browless options (which is just two options) about all I need.  I have several different bodies and a dozen heads, and oddly, I'm able to wear my 'all in one' skins with these two options and look good... and not look like a clone person.  I've crafted looks for a few of my friends too. 

Maybe it's not a money grab. I still believe it's one more bit of added complexity that makes SL feel more like work than needed.  If you're here for the dress up, then I suppose it doesn't matter.  If you're here for any other reason, then it is just one more hassle. 

BOM was intended to simplify things.  It seems to me that it has just made things more complex while breaking all the (applier based) set ups that many people had put together and made work.   System worked until it didn't.  Then appliers worked until they didn't.  Now BOM is a mess and eventually it will be replaced by another mess if SL is still around. 

This whole mess is nuts.  I think one day I may just put on an outfit and leave it on.  Same outfit, same hair, same skin... I used to wonder why some of the oldtimers I knew did this. Or just put on an animal body even if they didn't role play at all. It seemed so odd.  Now, I think I get it.  I like meeting people and making stuff.  I love looking nice, but i do not love chasing the perfect rainbow of ridiculous looks at ridiculous money and a half dozen little fixes for each thing.  I just want a little normalcy.  And this from a girl with blue hair.  Go figure. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DeepBlueJoy said:

BOM was intended to simplify things.  It seems to me that it has just made things more complex while breaking all the (applier based) set ups that many people had put together and made work.   System worked until it didn't.  Then appliers worked until they didn't.  Now BOM is a mess and eventually it will be replaced by another mess if SL is still around. 

One of the main motivations for BOM was to get rid of onion bodies (most bodies had 1-3 copies of itself layered closely together, like an onion). That is a performance concern.

The solution was to re-use the system that already existed for the system avatar -- baked textures -- multiple textures combined into one.

This came with the side-effect of not needing appliers anymore, but that only moved the process. The number of steps for customizing your avatar's skin/tattoos/makeup hasn't changed significantly, you just do it through your viewer UI instead of scripted HUDs. Whether that's better or worse is subjective, but objectively it's much more efficient and at least the process is just a bit more uniform for everybody.

It's as you say, customizing your avatar is too complex. That kind of comes with the territory when the world and its contents are almost all user-created (and so can't be truly standardized, even when Omega tries). In the same vein, LL can't truly solve this issue because creators are always fifteen steps ahead with what they make and how they use the currently existing systems.

Edited by Wulfie Reanimator
  • Like 2

Oh, I can only remember that I needed a layer over my Maitreya body once, when I wanted to wear an old system layer bathing suit. I had to wear that layer who smooth out "camel toe" and other parts like the belly button, so the bathing suit did not go in there like a skin.

So it is much easier for me. I am used to some postprocessing programs and painting programs like Krita. I am used to layers, and I see my avatar as built up of layers. For me it makes perfect sense that the freckles layer must be on top of the face tattoo layer, and so on - it seems so logical. The avatar I see, is the same as the image when I work on in Krita. They layers combined is what appear on my screen.

Plus I am not limited to three silly layers for the body only. It is much more freedom. 

I shake my head when someone talk about "clone person". Who is the clone, the one that wear a skin, or the one who wear a skin and put other layers like freckles, makeup, eyebrows, highlight and shading etc. over it? I have lots of older skins. But most of them have too harsh eyemakeup, older skins had makeup as a part of the skin and it was heavy, with thick kohl eyeliner. I have moved on. I prefer the fresh faced skins of newer time.

The thread about the new freebie heads of LeLutka shows faces totally different from each other...

On 12/1/2021 at 7:57 PM, KathrynLisbeth said:

Of course this means when you replace an old face skin with a new face skin, then all you have to do is go thru and reorder and resave "EVERY SINGLE SAVED APPERANCE!"   so your hairbase is visible and your BOM eyeliner is actually on top of the eyeshadow...   but eh?  is something to do.       

Just use the "replace links" command to swap out the face texture. I'm pretty sure a replaced link inherits the old one's layer location.

On 12/14/2021 at 1:50 PM, Theresa Tennyson said:

Just use the "replace links" command to swap out the face texture. I'm pretty sure a replaced link inherits the old one's layer location.

Nope.  It don't. 

Looks like 'bake stack number order thing'  is part of the saved outfit link and not the actual item.

Is probably a 'good thing'.   Would liable to go 'extremely sideways' given that outfits may have same asset, different bake stack number order

----------------------

Retested it to be sure.

Test Method:   1) Ten individual layers of X type.  (I used Universal)    2) Name them A-1 thru A-5, and B-1 thru B-5.   3) Strip to base system body system components.  4) Dress A-1 to 5, save as outfit A  5) Repeat but use B, save as B

Replace 2 for 2, 3 for 3,  etc.    Then redo and repeat 2 for 4,  4 for 2, etc.

Results in new layer of same type always landing on the top of the 'same type layer' subset.

----------------------

Is Workarounds.  Useful if you are at a point that you have dozens of 'base bake layer avatars' with variable attachments

Break replace links into 2 steps:  so can mass replace and eventually get the relative position order.

An example of this:    After replacing a face skin tattoo...

1) Since you can't replace an item with itself,  Replace each layer of with a 'nota makeup' layer of same type.   So you would replace lipstick tattoo, with a nota lipstick tattoo, etc.   Keep the same sequence.   This then places  'a thing' at 'the number'  in the stack, in the order you want.

2) Then Redo that.   This time replace the nota tattoo with the 'real tattoo.  Again Keeping the Sequence.   

Results in the 'Old things'  now getting back into proper 'relative' order. 

----------------------

Thus the 'Why I want a layer slot type thing for Christmas'....  Because I am LAZY!   

• Like 1

On 12/14/2021 at 11:34 AM, Wulfie Reanimator said:

"LL can't truly solve this issue because creators are always fifteen steps ahead with what they make and how they use the currently existing systems."

Yeah,  I know..   More rambling.

I look at it like this.       Since Appliers refer to specific scripted things that put texture on an object...

Think of the Layers as texture 'paint' containers/cartridges, and the Layer Channels as where the texture, once baked, is gonna land on the 3-D Mesh Body/Head object(s).  Upper Body, Arm, Aux, etc

For clarity,  that 'paint' is just the diffuse texture, the texture that looks like a picture of a thing.  The other textures (normal and specular) that tell things like 'How is light supposta bounce off a thing are just built into the body, head, etc.,  and there are hud buttons to play with that.    (Is a Good thing, much less to go sideways)

Then approach it as trying to texture the body from top to bottom.  (and imagine wings and tail and 'other parts'  too.. but are 'body things', not 'clothes things') 

Next at look at the Universal layer as the one cartridge that has all the potential layer channels that can cover 100% of a channel.  Look at System Skin and Tattoos as less channels but 100% coverage of each channel.   Then contrast that with the other system layers as less channels and less than 100% coverage of a channel.  (So while usable,  much more limited in scope going forward)

-------------------------

So with all that tl;dr stuff as background,   means that you can use the saved appearance to easy save a collection of paint layers for a body.

--------------------------

Is that I see two issues that can be simplified in this process:

1)  It Would Help if they added some more channels.

This could 'allow for a consensus to develop'. (maybe?)   But is like how Evo X ears are on an Aux channel and if you make wings that could BOM,  you not wanna use that same Aux channel....  unless you want 'ear wings'  or 'wing ears'?    But more channels could be useful so you can save the 'right paint for the other mesh bits'  for a given body. 

So... Not have to use the hud that comes with the body addons,  to make those parts match your skin tone.   Example would be BOM layers specific for the mammal parts on a Maitreya Lara mesh body, but is all the other body addons too.... and the 2 or 3 different 'main' places to paint on those parts.     

Since I am LAZY!   This would be WAY EASIER than either adjusting via a HUD, or having to maintain a collection of 'non BOM enabled' parts for different skin tone.  Especially since they are generally no mod and thus no rename,  so you you have a buncha copies of the same name thing in different folders.   Is doable.   Just annoying.  (and can't look at the wearing tab for information, have to open the inventory and look at the folder name... blah blah...  )

Then when you look at the different layer types,  it is that some always land on top of the others.   Tattoo, Universal,  then Undershirt,  Shirt, etc.  

And since they are different layer types,  you can use the Wear/Replace function to One-Step replace a thing.    (One-Step is one less than two, and ima LAZY!)   

So different layer types are a means to organize the layers in 'subsets'.   Subsets are Very Useful when you start having scores of appearances, and each appearance various layering needs....  with wanting to replace one layer out of the 'whole stack of cards'.   And...    Subsets make Teaching someone how to do it...  Easier!

2) Having More Layers that have all the channels, with 100% channel coverage.

- Refit the skin layer and the tattoo layer to have the additional channels.   If one of the additional channels in an existing skin or tattoo layer is empty,  it won't matter.  End result is you don't have to spread the rest of a skin across tattoos and universals.   This makes it easier to group like with like, and... This makes it easier to explain to someone how to make it work.  

- More distinctive Universal layers.   And to make it confusing (for maybe a min)..  Have the distinctive layers be ones that the end user can define the 'subset position'.     Example you set a copy of your layer that has your head skin to be in 'Layer A',   freckles in 'Layer B',  eyeshadow 'Layer C',   eyeliner in 'Layer D', and ... Hairbase in 'Layer E', so can have the days that you want a different hair color be less steps.    

The think the main reason is because a person these days wears a head from one brand and a body from another. Having two different tattoo layers allows you to buy a head skin for your specific head brand and a body skin for your specific body brand. It also allows you to mix and match skins by using a neck blender. I dislike when a creator puts it all on one layer and I can not wear another body skin with my head.

7 hours ago, Mercedes Avon said:

The think the main reason is because a person these days wears a head from one brand and a body from another. Having two different tattoo layers allows you to buy a head skin for your specific head brand and a body skin for your specific body brand. It also allows you to mix and match skins by using a neck blender. I dislike when a creator puts it all on one layer and I can not wear another body skin with my head.

Why can't you wear a different body skin on a tattoo layer if your head skin is a true skin? Or add on a tattoo head layer over the true skin and keep the body?

I am not sure what to call skin anymore, since both skins and tattoos are named "skin". So I am using "true skin" when I mean a skin that is not a tattoo, and that cover both head and body and can be used as all in one.

We can't say "default skin" since what is default? The starter avatar skins is default for them. The skins included when purchasing a head or body is default for that head or body.

You can wear a system skin as the "true body" but if it is not designed for your specific body the toes and fingers will be off and you would have to wear tattoo fixes for that. Pumec comes to mind. They supply a system skin as your default skin and tattoo layers to layer over to fit the fingers, toes and breasts to specific bodies.

You have to wear a system skin regardless. I always have a system skin on, and sometimes that is what I am using as my body skin and a tattoo layer for the face. Sometimes I am wearing a tattoo layer on both. The problem comes is when the creator does not offer the tattoo layer option and I am stuck wearing their complete skin on the system layer. For instance, I adore wearing the old system skins from Amara Beauty for my avie's body. These are old body skins made before BOM and they are on a system layer. They also have some skins for sale that are not too old but they are all on system layers (she gives the toe, finger and breast fix on tat layers free). If I bought a face skin that was on a skin layer like the OP is requesting, then I could not wear both. I would have to choose.

Sure, we can request they also toss in system skins for every body on the grid and if a creator is willing to do that extra work then good on them for doing it.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Marianne Little said:

I am not sure what to call skin anymore, since both skins and tattoos are named "skin". So I am using "true skin" when I mean a skin that is not a tattoo, and that cover both head and body and can be used as all in one.

The proper terms are "system skin" (the inventory asset with the icon of a body, or "true skin" as you called it) and "tattoo layers" (or the new "universal layers" with all possible slots, but not an important distinction).

Ultimately, "skin" just means the texture that's meant to be the primary base-layer for your body, regardless of whether it's a system skin or a tattoo layer.

7 hours ago, Marianne Little said:

Why can't you wear a different body skin on a tattoo layer if your head skin is a true skin? Or add on a tattoo head layer over the true skin and keep the body?

You totally can use a system skin for one part of your body, but since you can't wear multiple system skins and the creator can't know which part of your body you want to cover with the system skin, the easiest solution for them is to provide the head and body textures as separate tattoo layers. This way there are no conflicts regardless of what combination you want.

Providing system skins alongside the separated tattoo layers doesn't really provide any utility. At this point, system skins are in a weird place and have little purpose for mesh avatars.

System skins and tattoo layers made sense in the past when everybody basically had only one unified body or prims/sculpts that covered it. Today, with the way modern avatars are used, system skins would at least need to allow wearing multiple at the same time, so that the head/body could be separate as we need. Just like how we use tattoo layers now.

Edited by Wulfie Reanimator
  • Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 812 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.