Please help! I keep getting error message: "Login failed. Unable to connect to a simulator"

LibGlozz

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4170 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I have only used SL once and would like to join as a premium member.  It's been frustrating as I've tried to login several times.  I have followed the wiki instructions on how to troubleshoot; still getting the same error message.  How can I resolve this technical issue?  How can I join if I cannot even login?  Please help.  Thank you!

3 answers to this question

Try logging in to a different location than you have tried before.  Smith, Pooley, and Aqua are good choices because they are nearly vacant sims maintained by LL.  Type one of those names in the pulldown menu on your login page and see if it works. If it doesn't, try logging in to the Aditi grid instead of the main SL grid (Agni).  If you make it in world there, check the group tag for whatever group you have active at the moment.  If it has any wierd characters in it, they can also confuse LL's servers and make it hard to log in.  Change your active group and then try logging in to the main grid again.

Hello LibGlozz. Usually the message "Unable to connect to simulator" is relative with invalid characters in your group tag. You said that you used SL just once but do you remember if you joined in groups? If yes, do you remember which group tag you wear? If we assume that invalid characters in your group tag is the problem i fear that only LL can helps if we think that you are a new member, so you haven't an alt with which you could log in and kick out of the group your main account or change the group title.

At first try to log in a differerent region like protected lands (Smith, Lime or Aqua). If you can't select a different region, in your log in screen give the command: Menu Me --> Preferences --> General Tab --> Enable "Show on login" --> OK.  After click the down arrow where it says "Start at" and choose <Type region name> --> Smith --> Login. See if that helps. If yes, remove immidiately your group tag and maybe leave the group.

Another reason you have this message is the rolling restarts for server channels. In this occasion the problem is temporal and you need to check the following page for updates: http://status.secondlifegrid.net/

So my suggestion (especially if you aren't sure what happens with your group titles) is to try to log in a different region and if you can't to wait a little more hoping the problem to be fixed. If you see that you can resolve the problem and reading again your post that you would like to join as a premium member, i suggest you to upgrate your membership and after to contact immidiately with LL using the Live Chat: https://support.secondlife.com/create-case/ This is the page, now as basic member you can't see the Live Chat but when you upgrate to Premium, you will see the option at the right. Report your problem there and be sure that they will help you.

Good luck.

It's been almost a year since I last logged onto the grid with my main avatar "Mark Coffee"  My alt works fine, but I keep getting the error message "Login Failed, Updating Friend list"  I can log on to other grids without any problems all OpenSim grids work fine, but SL main grid does not work.  Everything with the grid manager is correct which is proven by the fact my alt can log in without any problem to any designated sim.  My main avatar will not log in. Possibly there is a database issue with the login.  I have cleared my cache several times, I'm running the newest Singularity viewer which works fine on all grids.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4170 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.