Baking issue?

Aishagain

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 851 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Since midweek last week I have repeatedly logged in as a cloud only to rez after about 20 seconds.  Occasionally thereafter I've been told I arrived at a location unbaked (a cloud) again, only to reappear after I removed or added any random  item.

If this had been just me I'd've suspected my connection or some aspect of my AV or Firewall, but over the past few days I saw dozens or reports of this from all over SL, via not just the Firestorm support group but via mesh body and head groups.  It seemed that the common aspect is that either the body, as in my case, or the head, or both were using BoM.  I saw many avatars arriving in locations where I was as clouds and all prresent saw the same, not just me.  In nearly all cases either an appearance update or a relog solved the issue, but there is clearly some issue.

I have seen nothing on the Grid Status Page about this, so I wonder whether LL are aware of it at all.

ETA 5am PST Monday 29th: Well today I logged in and rezzed instantly, the first time that's happened for almost a week , so I guess that whatever was faulty has been fixed, whatever it was!

Edited by Aishagain
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've been a lot this weekend and a few days before it thanks to all those sales in SL. And can confirm some issues with baking. Thursday onwards around 11AM SLT and until at least 8-9PM SLT baking service is half dead. Putting on alpha does nothing for 20-30 seconds, then avatar goes gray for another 20-30s, then it finally works. Detaching is as long. And sometimes objects refuse to detach for a good while (attaching is always instant, though). Same thing on my testing/building avatar, so it's not inventory amount/numbers based for sure (test account has like 10k elements in the inventory).

Considering the amount of demos I did try over a weekend it was rather painful experience.

11PM onwards and it's perfectly fine and nearly instant as it has been for a good while now. Not sure when it gets bad again, but 5-6AM SLT it's still fine (and was on the previous days), then I usually took some rest before checking more sales, so then around 11AM SLT it's very slow again.

I would guess it's either something being overloaded in SL or just problems around some backbone(s) that gets temporary resolved when there's less traffic.

Edited by steeljane42
typos
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think it was internet traffic, during the past four days I have seen exactly what you described, plus a rash of TP-crashes, and two instances of logging in to find some items I wear had become detached from the avatar. No sure if there was some event going on last week that might have meant half the world was online for longer than usual.

I was going to query this yesterday after the fifth TP-crash but I then saw a rush of forum threads about login-problems which seemed to me to point to internet problems in general rather than a specific SL-failure.

Edited by Profaitchikenz Haiku
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, Profaitchikenz Haiku said:

Not sure if there was some event going on last week that might have meant half the world was online for longer than usual.

I wonder if Black Friday (and the sales events that began well before Friday) could have such  a profound effect on the servers but it would be Amazon servers that would have the load, I guess, so it is not THAT  surprising I suppose.  I hope LL HAD thought about such a contingency?  Today being  "Cyber Monday" (eye roll) we might have a similar issue.

Edited by Aishagain

I'm seeing sporadic slow-ups on other web-based things as well that can't be attributable to Amazon's servers.

As far as LL making contingency plans for the Black Friday/Sunday rush, we're not talking safety-critical systems here so I think most business analysts would say 2-3 days degradation of service over a year is acceptable.

So long as I can put back the clothing items that fell off, re-log and successfully TP to the intended location that caused the TP-crash, and don't look like a fart on a frosty morning I'm happy.

Edited by Profaitchikenz Haiku
  • Haha 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 851 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.