New region idea: An Adult Region.

Anna Nova

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 845 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

We would literally accept copy paste content.

Don't spend a single moment planning, just clone a bit of belli and pull some more random region names out of the hat, add a drop down to the game of homes website to chose between M or A rated.

Job done.

Heck, just copy pasta up a dozen more Horizons regions and break the land speculators hold so actual people can actually live there.

ANYTHING.

• Thanks 3

34 minutes ago, Marigold Devin said:

A-rated Linden Home sims could be created, but with a covenant like anywhere else that sex toys must not be visible from the street, so the external aesthetics are maintained at all times, and sounds must be restricted to own parcel.

But isn't that what a moderate sim is already? I am asking sincerely, because I am getting confused.

If you do not want to have sex all over lawns in plain view, and you don't want to have your sex toys on your lawn for all to enjoy, and you are not promoting your home as a sex haven in search, then why does a person need an adult rated sim? People who live in Belliserria have THE SECKS all the time, I assure you - inside and out. I wouldn't know, I heard about it in SL Bible study *coughs* 🙂

• Haha 4

1 minute ago, Mercedes Avon said:

But isn't that what a moderate sim is already? I am asking sincerely, because I am getting confused.

If you do not want to have sex all over lawns in plain view, and you don't want to have your sex toys on your lawn for all to enjoy, and you are not promoting your home as a sex haven in search, then why does a person need an adult rated sim? People who live in Belliserria have THE SECKS all the time, I assure you - inside and out. I wouldn't know, I heard about it in SL Bible study *coughs* 🙂

To ease the confusion. There's sex and then there's the non-vanilla stuff, and I guess that's the stuff regarded as Adult! I know, I know, we're ALL adults. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Marigold Devin said:

See, I don't really get this. In real life, the people in the adjoining house to my brother are a throuple (two women, one man), and they were interviewed for a publicity piece for a large chain of UK sex accessories stores.  While their back garden is like a beer garden, and they put up their (regular) Christmas lights early, very few people actually know what goes on behind their closed doors. They don't have massive pink (or black!) dildos in public view, and might have an X-frame in their loft, but if they did, no one would ever know. And, of course, we don't have alt view in real life, so there is no way of having a snoop.

What I'm saying is, my brother lives in a really nice neighbourhood of modest semi-detached houses and bungalows, and these young people with an active and slightly less 'vanilla' sex life wanted to live in a nice area too. Why should they be denied this just because their sexual habits are a bit different. If they were running a prostitution service from their home or bringing to their doorstep something illegal - like b e a s t i a l i t y or dolcet - then it would be a different matter, obviously, but they're people with a healthy - if slightly different to the norm - sex life.

A-rated Linden Home sims could be created, but with a covenant like anywhere else that sex toys must not be visible from the street, so the external aesthetics are maintained at all times, and sounds must be restricted to own parcel. 

That’s no different than Bellisseria now. All the lindens ask is people keep their sex toys inside. 

• Like 1

Just now, yestothis said:

That’s no different than Bellisseria now. All the lindens ask is people keep their sex toys inside. 

It's perceptually very different.

As someone in SL who went though the whole zindra adult segregation, it wasn't just the clubs and commercial locations that moved. It was almost everyone even remotely connected .. and then zindra turned out to be disaster and everyone moved to private regions.

The rules differentiating M and A land are subtle and can easily be applied to groups of people sharing a home,  it was deemed to be not worth the risk posed by hordes of roaming busy bodies.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Let me try to make this simple by using an example of where someone might want an adult rated Linden Home...

A swimming pool with secks animations built into the menu...  from appearance it does not look adult and can exist outdoors.  Where I would break a rule is if I were to actually use the secks animations in the outdoor pool.

So yes a Moderate home limits me in that respect.  And if the pool is in my backyard no Im not making a statement that i want to have secks in front of my neighbors because at teh same time i uncheck a box in my About Land that prevents people from seeing in.

This box though is the hinge point of a BIG argument in SL.  Does hiding the view from outside parcels constitute the phrase "Behind Closed Doors"?  If it does then great Bellisseria probably works out for a good swipe of adult minded folks.  But i have often heard the answer NO that is not enough it must also have walls and windowshades or a skybox etc...  Now suddenly if that is the definition to the phrase "Behind Closed Doors" I can NEVER use my adult animation swimming pool in the way it was intended.

So yes this DOES matter... Unless LL wants to come out once and for all and totally clarify and set in stone what the phrase "Behind Closed Doors" means

• Like 8

3 minutes ago, Evangeline Ling said:

Let me try to make this simple by using an example of where someone might want an adult rated Linden Home...

A swimming pool with secks animations built into the menu...  from appearance it does not look adult and can exist outdoors.  Where I would break a rule is if I were to actually use the secks animations in the outdoor pool.

So yes a Moderate home limits me in that respect.  And if the pool is in my backyard no Im not making a statement that i want to have secks in front of my neighbors because at teh same time i uncheck a box in my About Land that prevents people from seeing in.

This box though is the hinge point of a BIG argument in SL.  Does hiding the view from outside parcels constitute the phrase "Behind Closed Doors"?  If it does then great Bellisseria probably works out for a good swipe of adult minded folks.  But i have often heard the answer NO that is not enough it must also have walls and windowshades or a skybox etc...  Now suddenly if that is the definition to the phrase "Behind Closed Doors" I can NEVER use my adult animation swimming pool in the way it was intended.

So yes this DOES matter... Unless LL wants to come out once and for all and totally clarify and set in stone what the phrase "Behind Closed Doors" means

I wrote a version of this which is now pink and has "hidden" at the top of it, so I guess mine was a bit more explicit about what A-rated means as opposed to M-rated, and I am about to get a warning and a suspension. Blimey! 

hidden.jpg

Edited by Marigold Devin
better to be hung for a sheep than a lamb
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Marigold Devin said:

I wrote a version of this which is now pink and has "hidden" at the top of it, so I guess mine was a bit more explicit about what A-rated means as opposed to M-rated, and I am about to get a warning and a suspension. Blimey! 

I've never gotten a warning or suspension for having a post hidden. . .

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Quistess Alpha said:

I've never gotten a warning or suspension for having a post hidden. . .

I didn't hide the post. I've never seen a hidden post before. It's not hidden from me, but I take it no one else can see the full post that I posted in part in the above post. It's been censored. Obviously. I didn't think what I said was offensive. Words are words unless they're aimed at someone, then they're weapons.

Edited by Marigold Devin
I checked the top - I'm in the land forum - PG part and talking about adult rated content! Maybe this discussion shouldn't be in the land forum.
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Marigold Devin said:

I didn't hide the post. I've never seen a hidden post before. It's not hidden from me, but I take it no one else can see the full post that I posted in part in the above post. It's been censored. Obviously. I didn't think what I said was offensive. Words are words unless they're aimed at someone, then they're weapons.

It's an automated system, sometimes it does weird stuff because it's AI and doesn't actually understand anything in your post. how it decides whether to **** things or just do that weird thing to the post is black magic.

Edit: also if you're (un)lucky, your post will reapear months later after it's reviewed by a mod

Edited by Quistess Alpha
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Quistess Alpha said:

It's an automated system, sometimes it does weird stuff because it's AI and doesn't actually understand anything in your post. how it decides whether to **** things or just do that weird thing to the post is black magic.

Thanks. I never had that done to me on forums before. How very c l e v e r ! Doesn't like freedom of speech. Loose lips sink ships eh?! haha

• Like 2

• Moles
2 hours ago, Coffee Pancake said:

We would literally accept copy paste content.

Don't spend a single moment planning, just clone a bit of belli and pull some more random region names out of the hat, add a drop down to the game of homes website to chose between M or A rated.

Job done.

Heck, just copy pasta up a dozen more Horizons regions and break the land speculators hold so actual people can actually live there.

ANYTHING.

This what I mean by resident assume things are much much much simpler than they really are. We can't simply "just clone a bit of belli". It doesn't work like that. Once a region has residents living on it with all of their content, we can't clone it. There are no magic wands or easy buttons that allow for that. When you say "build another continent", it really does mean build a whole other continent.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Abnor Mole said:

This what I mean by resident assume things are much much much simpler than they really are. We can't simply "just clone a bit of belli". It doesn't work like that. Once a region has residents living on it with all of their content, we can't clone it. There are no magic wands or easy buttons that allow for that. When you say "build another continent", it really does mean build a whole other continent.

I totally get why moles can't easily do this.

Linden devs can spin up new grids and copy regions to it, silently purge our cruft into the void and return the results. I'm not saying no work would be involved, but the problems are technical. Even just porting the regions to the beta grid so moles could manually evict everyone, although there might some fallout with returns and scripts messaging etc. 

Even if "doing it right" would require a little linden code, the ability to clone a region with a content filter seems like a really useful tool to have in the god-mode toy box. There probably a commercial case for event hosts and landbarrons.

• Like 2

• Moles
19 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:

I totally get why moles can't easily do this.

Linden devs can spin up new grids and copy regions to it, silently purge our cruft into the void and return the results. I'm not saying no work would be involved, but the problems are technical. Even just porting the regions to the beta grid so moles could manually evict everyone, although there might some fallout with returns and scripts messaging etc. 

Even if "doing it right" would require a little linden code, the ability to clone a region with a content filter seems like a really useful tool to have in the god-mode toy box. There probably a commercial case for event hosts and landbarrons.

Mmm... no, I don't think you do as much as you think you do.

Edit: /me reads "a little linden code" and wonders what part of "there are no magic wands or 'easy' buttons" people refuse to want to believe.

Edited by Abnor Mole
  • Like 1

Edit: /me reads "a little linden code" and wonders what part of "there are no magic wands or 'easy' buttons" people refuse to want to believe.

those with clone OAR packaging experience would wonder why Linden would not be able to do  this

a method to do OAR has been available since at least 12 years now

is fairly trivial to package an OAR that restricts content to a nominated list of asset owners, and spin up any number of said OAR clones on the server, with each rezzed asset in the clone being given a new UUID

Edited by Mollymews
ty[s
  • Like 1

My point is it's all just data, Tasking a Linden to solve the problem is way cheaper and faster than signing off on a whole new A rated mole world building exercise .. which we're just not getting. Ever.

In the grand scheme of things, this isn't really a big ask. It's not like a roadmap fending off impending broader platform irrelevance, Apple depreciating OpenGL, movement on years old stalled projects or an entire new virtual world platform no one wanted.

We're paying LL money hand over fist, year after year after year. It's not unreasonable to expect some of that spent meeting silly customer requests. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Cloned regions are used for making Bellisseria, and were used for making the Sharp Continent. Cloning must be possible and helpful towards putting out regions, even if there is still a lot of work to be done on them to parcel them up, landscape and get them ready for occupation.

The bottom line would normally be whether it was commercially viable to do it. 

As I understand it, A rated land is the most densely populated, the highest priced and highest value mainland. Despite the precious few water linked parcels that would normally attract interest on moderate and general mainland. The experience with Horizons, surely shows there is demand.

So there is a good commercial argument to consider finishing Zindra and adding in some Adult Linden Homes.

Edited by Aethelwine
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, Abnor Mole said:

We can't simply "just clone a bit of belli". It doesn't work like that. Once a region has residents living on it with all of their content, we can't clone it.

I don't have a horse in this "adult LH" debate, but I am very interested in the process of building LH continents.  I understand that you can't clone released regions.  But, let's say you wanted to build a standalone clone of the southern half of the chalets.  You don't have a copy of the originally released continent lying around, I get that.  But, don't you have something like OAR packages for the SSP chalet tiles that you built?  And you have the plan you used for assembling the tiles.  So, that assembly could be done again.  Of course there is tweaking that was done manually before release, and may need to be redone by hand ... butterflies, fireflies, minor terraforming corrections ... something like that.  That leaves the coast.  Now, I haven't ducked inworld to check, but aren't the regions along that subcontinent's edges, although built, completely unoccupied at present?  You could export OAR packages of them right now, yes?

There would be some rebuilding to eliminate the tunnels, terminate the RR, etc..  

I wouldn't think home controller scripts would be a problem, presumably your source control will produce whatever controller version is needed. 

And there would be expanding your web service database for the new continent, which I would think is a pretty familiar process at this point.

One could question whether such a chalet clone would be at all APPROPRIATE for an adult version of Linden Homes  ... but that is a completely new topic.

Yes, a lot of work.  But from your words I have the impression, Abnor, that the process would be akin to creating a new continent completely from scratch.  Surely that's not what you mean?  The lab does take some sort of OAR file of LH SSP tiles, yes?  And presumably somewhere there is a copy of every type of object used in Belli ... all 6,000 versions of the Jorge bush :) ... maybe in a "QA Vault?"  And I know you have source control.  So, yes, a lot of work ... but surely less work than creating a continent for a new theme?

Edited by Nika Talaj
  • Like 3

As I understand it, A rated land is the most densely populated, the highest priced and highest value mainland. Despite the precious few water linked parcels that would normally attract interest on moderate and general mainland. The experience with Horizons, surely shows there is demand.

The high demand on horizons not because the adult rating but for the double prims, just like bay city and nautilus , I've been in horizons for sometime and i take walks there sometimes, I've never encounter any adult activity at all, even the homes there; they all moderated even if you cam inside.
Take  walk around horizons and you will see it for yourself, most adult activities are in zindra.
 I really don't care about having adult/general regions or not, never cared about regions rating; they all the same to me, so I'm out.

6 hours ago, Abnor Mole said:

I'm not even going to pretend to know all about the technical stuff that goes into creating swathes of sims with Linden Homes and landscaping all over it. 

There could perhaps be a compromise though. Part of Zindra, a little bit tacked onto it, with some tester Linden-style homes and landscaping. See if there are any takers in a quiet subtle way?  Makes it less of a tourist attraction for the scandal-mongering news reporters maybe, as I'd see that as part of the problem. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, SarahThe Wanderer said:

The high demand on horizons not because the adult rating but for the double prims, just like bay city and nautilus , I've been in horizons for sometime and i take walks there sometimes, I've never encounter any adult activity at all, even the homes there; they all moderated even if you cam inside.
Take  walk around horizons and you will see it for yourself, most adult activities are in zindra.
 I really don't care about having adult/general regions or not, never cared about regions rating; they all the same to me, so I'm out.

There is certainly more to Horizons to appeal to people than just the adult rating. Without doing some sort of survey it will be hard to definitively tell people's motivating factors for owning land there.  For me it is the whole package the landscaping, roads and waterways, the double prim and the adult rating. 

The adult rating allows me to have a hot tub outside without walls around it or using parcel privacy settings.  Not such a big deal really but something that can only be done on adult land.

Regardless of horizons though Zindra has always had a higher occupancy rate than other continents. That alone should make the commercial argument to complete the continent and consider expansion in the form of adult rated Linden homes. 

• Like 5

• Moles
6 hours ago, Nika Talaj said:

So, yes, a lot of work ... but surely less work than creating a continent for a new theme?

Not really, no. It's never as simple as people assume. We just make it look easy.

Healthy debate is good. But assumptions that the only reason the Lab doesn't want to do a thing is because they don't like the adult peoples or the non-adult peoples isn't a healthy debate. I've been working hand and glove with the Land team for nearly 3 years now to build this continent, so I know. The old adage is true, you can having something easy, fast or right... but you can only pick two. 

• Like 6

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 845 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.