All I Want for Christmas is "Skip Intro"

Prokofy Neva

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 875 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

12 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:

I have coloring books.

I rarely start them in case one less than perfect picture ruins the entire thing  .. like notebooks & sketchbooks, love them .. but that first page needs to be really good or it's all junk.

I made the error of using Sharpies to colour in one page. Never again. Colours bled over the lines and onto the next page(s).

Soft blendable pencils are the best - felt tips when I was in the workplace. One girl used a 2B pencil to colour in some massive flowers to great effect. I am still in awe of her talent and patience. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Arduenn Schwartzman said:

I have to admit that that in-your-face Dr. Manhattan Smurf Elf Thing being the poster avatar and apparently the embodiment of SL is rather cringe-worthy.

Just my opinion - but I log in and see that elf pic that looks like it's from an '80s film...and then have to scroll down to see SL avatars that Decentraland and Meta can't compete with and would kill to have...and think, why?? :S

Edited by Rat Luv
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

The ideas of having the top of the page bookmark and and adblocker work okay and I have both - EXCEPT when logging out and in on a different account like Prok mentioned.  With a bit of practice I can click quickly enough to get past the login in page before getting that bright blue flash searing my retinas.  I will attempt some of the other techniques mentioned and see if they work when logging out and back in on a different account.

I wonder how many potential new customers have been turned away because of that bright blue flash?  It probably doesn't bother the young gamer types, but if Linden Lab wants to attract more customers who will actually pay money to fund premium accounts and buy land they really should rethink that bright blue flashing video.

11 minutes ago, Flower Caerndow said:

I wonder how many potential new customers have been turned away because of that bright blue flash?  It probably doesn't bother the young gamer types, but if Linden Lab wants to attract more customers who will actually pay money to fund premium accounts and buy land they really should rethink that bright blue flashing video.

I doubt a potential customer would see that video and base their whole decision on that alone, positively or negatively. People that would sign up for something like this know it is probably exaggerated for marketing purposes. I doubt LL is losing money hand over foot due to the video.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Flower Caerndow said:

EXCEPT when logging out and in on a different account like Prok mentioned. 

I'm beginning to get tired of repeating  myself, but that's when you open an incognito window to log in the second account.  It's just like logging in on a second computer.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Lindal Kidd said:

That's why I said "one of" the tabs. My browser (either Firefox or Chrome) is set up so that when opened, three pages are opened, each in its own tab. You can put Google on the first tab, SL on the second, and YouTube or whatever you like on the third. You aren't limited to three, either.

I don't wish to do this. Why should I have to? The Lindens need to put "Skip Intro".

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

21 hours ago, Jaylinbridges said:

How many bookmarks do you have now that are in view in Chrome?  With the slightest knowledge of abbreviations, I can easily get 30 THIRTY bookmarks across the top of my Chrome.  So you have 30 bookmarked pages that are more important to you than logging into your SL accounts?  How do you ever find time for SL with all these other web pages that have priority?  Your excuse is not only lame, it is ridiculous.   Just like you love ads, so won't use an ad blocker, that also stops the Intro video.

I don't want that many bookmarks across the page. Yes, they are all more important than SL, for RL work. No, there is absolutely no reason why LL can't put "Skip Intro" and the more you all gyrate around this the more ridiculous you look. 

• Haha 2
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

On 11/28/2021 at 1:01 AM, Coffee Pancake said:

This is practically a kids project 😳

Daily reminder that the stuff we do on Linux Servers is not at all friendly to avg user.

Actually I wouldn't want to spend time on something like that myself, even being someone who deals with this stuff every day simply because I know that the instructions I am given will never just work and I'm going to have to diagnose someone else's software problem myself.

Wow this thread lol.
It's taken the high road & the low road & the road to no where &... &... &.....
But I have learnt something, 🤔
Something so gut-wrenchingly shocking, intolerably embarrassing and cringe-worthily humiliating......
*bottom lip trembling....
Whispers: My web bookmarks/favourites are MORE complicated than my SL inventory. 🤯😖 
😬👉🌴
            😢 never imagined it to be a problem until reading everyone elses responses
Comprising about 25 custom named folders or categories, then sub-catergories.....
In perfect alphabetical and numerical order...
...and kept synchronised across three browsers. *gulp 😵
-> In my defence, they cover everything from software/its use, creator resources, business equipment
across say - 8 different industries, (to learn about things for my own little company), musical instruments,
business resources, government entities, fashion etc, etc, etc.

ShockedEagle.gif.a24b5d85efe408b26f0b4e26c9dd1e4f.gif

Edited by Maryanne Solo
The Bird ;o
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Prokofy Neva said:

I don't want that many bookmarks across the page. Yes, they are all more important than SL, for RL work. No, there is absolutely no reason why LL can't put "Skip Intro" and the more you all gyrate around this the more ridiculous you look. 

You  still did not answer my question - How many bookmarks do you have now?  

So let's say you convince LL to add a "Skip Intro" button to their intro marketing page.  Does the Intro start anyway and you must press the Skip button to stop it?  In that case, it is less work to just press LOGIN button, which does the same thing.

Or, does the "Skip Intro" button have a countdown?  You have 10 seconds to press the Skip button or the Video will start.  In that case, 99% will press the Skip button, because no newbie wants to wait for a countdown for it to start, and their fancy video is wasted.

So now they will need two buttons:  "Skip Intro" w/ a countdown, and a "Start Intro" to bypass the countdown, for the young impatient gamers that will never wait 10 seconds for anything. 

Or perhaps you think just a "Skip Intro" button that does nothing would be perfect? They could even make that the Login Button, but we already said that.

We all know that if you convince the Lindens to add more buttons to bypass their glorious expensive ad, that you will remind everyone for years that you were responsible for this "major improvement" to the SL login page.  This could be the actual reason you are so insistent they do something that is against their best interests.  So you can brag about it in 1000 future posts.

Edited by Jaylinbridges
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

There is absolutely no reason why they should put in your requested "Skip Intro".

1. There is nothing to "Skip" - you can hit the Login link on the page at any time, you're not forced to watch the background or stuck on a page to watch it by itself for any length of time.
  2. normal user uses the tools at their disposal to circumvent such minor tings.
  3. normal user does not simply run a search for whatever web page(s) they normally visit often - they actually do make use of Bookmarks and other features/functions.
  4. We've seen this song and dance before and already know very well what the real reason behind your "grievance" is - you're fooling no one.
  • Like 3

19 hours ago, Jaylinbridges said:

Finally!  This thread is getting into a serious topic.  How about those magic slates?

2405f18a14b0de8c537d0aa0c1bb3b5b.jpg

Those were high tech in my day. Yet we didn't have to worry about them crash and burn unless you ripped off the film!

I see some young generation thinking "I can't control those from my phone."

1 hour ago, Sam1 Bellisserian said:

Are you sure it's us that looks ridiculous?

Absolutely.

I have worked on RL sites where they put "Skip Intro" when users complain.

No need to do all this other jazz.

Normal users expect "Skip Intro" and just don't visit sites where the company and their fanboyz drive others away with their esoteric nonsense.

I can't imagine what any "real reason" is behind my grievance, it's just a normal response especially to something bright and hard on the eyes, I'm already losing some vision, I don't need to lose more of it. But even a 21-year-old EDC rave-goer would find it bright.

Making a request to the Lindens to make their game less wonky and hipster and code cave-y is a public service, not something with a hidden agenda.

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Prokofy Neva said:

Normal users expect "Skip Intro" and just don't visit sites where the company and their fanboyz drive others away with their esoteric nonsense.

There are SIX buttons on the present secondlife.com web page that instantly stop the Intro video already. Adding another button to do the same thing would be silly and redundant.

What you are really asking for is for LL to NOT start the looping video when you go to that page. Just display the static page all the rest of us see with any ad-blocker.  Then you would need a "START INTRO" button.  First time visitors to their main page might press the START button out of curiosity.  The only way to then stop it is to press one of the other six buttons.  They could also add a STOP button, for those that have no intention of signing up or logging in, and have forgotten how to close an unwanted web page.

What you are asking for is wrong.  You want a "START INTRO" button added, and a static image to start. 

I doubt SL Marketing will think that's a great idea though, since you are the only one who is complaining.

You still have not answered my question - How many bookmarks do you have at the top of Chrome?  If adding another bookmark is so difficult for you, there is Remote Access.  I am sure Pancake would be happy to remotely add the bookmark for you.  :)

Edited by Jaylinbridges
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Jaylinbridges said:

There are SIX buttons on the present secondlife.com web page that instantly stop the Intro video already. Adding another button to do the same thing would be silly and redundant.

What you are really asking for is for LL to NOT start the looping video when you go to that page. Just display the static page all the rest of us see with any ad-blocker.  Then you would need a "START INTRO" button.  First time visitors to their main page might press the START button out of curiosity.  The only way to then stop it is to press one of the other six buttons.  They could also add a STOP button, for those that have no intention of signing up or logging in, and have forgotten how to close an unwanted web page.

What you are asking for is wrong.  You want a "START INTRO" button added, and a static image to start. 

I doubt SL Marketing will think that's a great idea though, since you are the only one who is complaining.

You still have not answered my question - How many bookmarks do you have at the top of Chrome?  If adding another bookmark is so difficult for you, there is Remote Access.  I am sure Pancake would be happy to remotely add the bookmark for you.  :)

Why should anyone have to hunt around for six buttons?

I don't wish to use ad blockers. I don't despise ads as you all do and sometimes find them useful. They pay for the Internet. Do you?

"Skip Intro" is standard all over the Internet for pages that open with videos and complex graphics. That you all need to keep arguing like you're in the 1990s is insane.

I'm not the only one complaining; I'm the only one speaking up on the forums. Difference.

I don't wish to add to my bookmarks. I'm not required to explain how many I have, or allow some stranger on the Internet to remote-access my computer and "fix" my browser. Are you daft?

Keep talking, as the pretzels you contort into are illustrative of the problem here. I personally don't need to add to my post. 

• Haha 2

You are the only one complaining until more people show up to actually complain - that's how it works. You do not represent anyone else here. At all.

This notion you have is absolutely counter to reality in every way it can be.

Do what normal people do or sit down and "suffer" the apparent "injustice" of ... Nothing whatsoever as there is no video you are being forced to watch before you can click on Log In.

• Like 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 875 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.