Jump to content
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3553 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Recommended Posts

If she portray herself as a child avatar & they portray anything other than a proper parent- child relationship in SL, I would report both of them for breaking the TOS rules about age-play.

If she were portraying herself as a 16-year old or older and she is considered past the age of consent in her own country, then I wouldn't report them, even if that were considered a breach of the TOS.  I don't think its fair to apply US standards of legal age to people from countries that view 16 as an adult.  I think the relationship sounds creepy, but I don't think it sounds illegal.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic


Knowl Paine wrote:

I cannot imagine what a 30+ year old man and a 16 year old girl might have in common.

If you can't find people your own age who find you interesting then there is something wrong with you.

 

Completely ageist remark.  I have friends that span decades.  I know teenagers who associate with people much older because they share intellectual interests.  Just as I know senior citizens who have friends decades younger than them.  Age is not an issue when it comes to interests, and particularly for mentoring and learning, it is important for younger people to learn from older generations.  

Don't project you own discomfort onto others based upon your narrow perception of what *might* be happening between two people.

I wonder how many people in this thread who are ready to "report" are actual RL parents and have raised children?   I'm a RL parent and have two children.  Yet I would not "report" the two people that the OP is discussing.   Moreover, I wonder *how/why* the OP is in a position to hear people's ages?    No one SL tells me their age, nor do I ask.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

When pursuing a romantic relationship. That is what I meant.

The facts are limited and I agree that it is not fair of me to presume the Residents in question are pursuing a romantic relationship.

Probability should not be ignored.

 

 

Everything is not always in plain sight, you have to want to know. 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think I would report it. There is really no reason why a 30 year old man would be attracted to someone so young unless he has some plans in mind. The online predators out there are very dangerous and I myself if I were that girl would probably want some help getting out of the partnership. It's a bit disturbing to me to have someone so old want to be with someone so young so please for all the 16 year olds REPORT IT!!

Link to post
Share on other sites


Gideon McCullough wrote:

What would you do if you know a known 30+ year old man is partnered with a known 16 year old girl?

Would you report it?

 

I'm wondering how their ages are "known". Thing is - in SL you can never be sure, can you? They might be RPing ages which don't belong to them. Having said that, if they are having a romantic relationship, that would actually fall into the age-play definition whether the teen age were real or just RPed. So yes, it's ARable.

Funny the number of mind-your-own-business remarks. Next time, just as an experiment - try asking what people would do if you knew about a copy-botter stealing creators' stuff. How much do you want to bet nobody tells you to mind your own business?

Follow your conscience, Gideon. You can't do more than that.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites


Knowl Paine wrote:

When pursuing a romantic relationship. That is what I meant.

First, thank you for being so cordial in your response.  : )

But, I disagree with the concept that people pursuing a romantic relationship must confine themselves to indivduals their own age, or "there's something wrong with you".   I've never had a romantic relationship with someone my own age.  So, by your defintion, there's something wrong with me? 

Link to post
Share on other sites


Carole Franizzi wrote:

Funny the number of mind-your-own-business remarks. Next time, just as an experiment - try asking what people would do if you knew about a copy-botter stealing creators' stuff. How much do you want to bet nobody tells you to mind your own business?

Carole, in SL the only people that would know "for sure" if someone has copy-botted another's creation is the creator and the supposed copy-botter.  Even then, it is not a "for sure" bit of knowledge.  I've seen people post on threads ranting that someone made something that "looked" like theirs, so the creator "thinks" someone copied them...but that was not the case.  So, for others to speculate about "copy-bots" is only that, speculation.  Which is why LL has made it so only the creator of an object in SL can officially file a DMCA and request a take-down.  As the speculators and witch-hunters would run rampant otherwise, and the grid would be rife with harassment in the guise of helping.

The people that post here on the forums asking questions like the one the OP asked, are really wanting absolution.  They want  public approval for a decision that they have probably already made.  (to AR)   I see that the OP has now stated that he filed an AR.   So, his post here has accomplished it's goal.  He gets publicly absolved of filing a AR on two people that he does not actually know. 

At no time did the OP state that he knows these people in RL.  At no time did the OP state that he had actual confirmation that one is a minor.   He only stated that they "told" him their ages.  Well, some people in SL lie, some people in SL RP, some people in SL are neither the age or gender they portray.  

But, based on the scant bit of knowledge that "someone" told him, he's filed an AR.   And for what purpose?   To do a civic duty?  To be the guardian of an unknown minors?   (which is unconfirmed)     In RL, if someone wants to report crime, there has to be something called evidence.  Even then, a grand jury will look at the "evidence" and determine if there is enough evidence to sustain a trial.   But, here in SL....someone can say one wrong word, and another person will file an AR.  No evidence, no facts, only speculation.   So, in the SL AR system, the burden of evidence is bypassed, and the process goes straight to the grand jury (LL).  

So, all someone has to do to file an AR against the OP or you or me, is say that we told them we were 16 and that the people we associate with in SL are older.  Then *bam* the LL grand jury is on it.  But, without so much as any proof, or any evidence. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

We could hypothesis endlessly but I'm not going to. I'm just going to assume one of the two actually told him as he talked about "knowing". Whether corresponding to the truth or not (RL truth), it's irrelevant, as even if she isn't actually 16, but 46, they're indulging in the naughty-naughty ageplay thingy which is not permitted by the ToS. End of story. Pretty straightforward all in all.

Link to post
Share on other sites

What I view as an acceptable age gap in romantic relationships is based upon the life experiences of both parties involved.

If we were discussing a 40 year old woman and a 56 year old man we might not be discussing this. The OP claims that one party involved is a Minor under the age of 18.  

This is not entirely about a 10 or 16 year age gap, it is about when the engagement occurs.

From age 16 to age 32 people change a lot. Not so much change from 32 to 48.

These are my opinions, I will use greater caution in the future, it is not my intent to cast stones. 

Part of my enjoyment in participating at this Forum is in the many opportunities provided for one to reveiw and reflect upon personal opinions, beliefs and customs. I try to use this opportunity to learn and grow.  

 

Link to post
Share on other sites


Knowl Paine wrote:

If it is a violation of the TOS or CS I would report it.

SL is a Community, what we allow to be considered as ethical behavior will be the measure by which SL will be judged.

I cannot imagine what a 30+ year old man and a 16 year old girl might have in common.

If you can't find people your own age who find you interesting then there is something wrong with you. 

There is one possibility Knowl. The 30-year old could be the emotional equivalent in maturity of the 16 year old. (Or she could even be emotionally more mature.)

Just sayin' ... 

Link to post
Share on other sites


Knowl Paine wrote:

 

Not so much change from 32 to 48.  

Thank goodness. Once you hit 32 you start realizing there are parts of you you'd darned well prefer didn't change anymore. ;)

 But eventually, around 48 or so I guess - you just kinda have to start giving up on that cause its changing in the wrong direction no matter what you think... :D

Link to post
Share on other sites

"But eventually, around 48 or so I guess - you just kinda have to start giving up on that cause its changing in the wrong direction no matter what you think... "

 

You always have the option to stand on your head and let it hang in the right direction.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

First things first:

In the UK a 16 year old girl or boy can have sexual relationship with anyone, its all legal.

If I suspected there was something wrong in the first instance I would confront the perpetrators and inform them of my intention to report them. if it were a 15 year old or less then that would be illegal, and in UK the crime called grooming exists.

I doubt very much if LL will do anything to be honest but some of what was written was interesting. But one thing to be certain of is that persons reputed age. In RL I am almost 60 in SL I am under 30. So what its a role play! If you listen to my chat about favourite music and things you will soon deduce I was born in the 1950's. Who else would have bought the Beatles first hit record when it came out?

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

i beg to differ about the 16 year old not knowing what she is doing, most 16 year olds know more than you think they do. trust me my little siblings in RL friend was on SL at one point and she got reported for being underage she came right back on another account...

 

also at the original poster: if you catch them screwing each other then you can report it... but until then... you really have no valid proof really what they do.

Link to post
Share on other sites


Celestiall Nightfire wrote:


Knowl Paine wrote:

I cannot imagine what a 30+ year old man and a 16 year old girl might have in common.

If you can't find people your own age who find you interesting then there is something wrong with you.

 

Completely ageist remark.  I have friends that span decades.  I know teenagers who associate with people much older because they share intellectual interests.  Just as I know senior citizens who have friends decades younger than them.  Age is not an issue when it comes to interests, and particularly for mentoring and learning, it is important for younger people to learn from older generations.  

Don't project you own discomfort onto others based upon your narrow perception of what *might* be happening between two people.

I wonder how many people in this thread who are ready to "report" are actual RL parents and have raised children?   I'm a RL parent and have two children.  Yet I would not "report" the two people that the OP is discussing.   Moreover, I wonder *how/why* the OP is in a position to hear people's ages?    No one SL tells me their age, nor do I ask.

 

I'd love to have a chat with Albert Einstein. Or even with Aristotle, although the language barrier might be a bit of a problem. But the age difference is definitely a non-issue.

Link to post
Share on other sites


Carole Franizzi wrote:

Funny the number of mind-your-own-business remarks. Next time, just as an experiment - try asking what people would do if you knew about a copy-botter stealing creators' stuff. How much do you want to bet nobody tells you to mind your own business?

The important difference between the two cases is that in your hypothetical example the rights of a third party are being violated. Whereas a relationship (that might be an entirely platonic friendship for all we know) is a matter that concerns only two people, unless we're talking about domestic violence or other forms of harmful abuse.

 


Follow your conscience, Gideon. You can't do more than that. 

I haven't Godwin'ed a thread for a while, so here goes: Hitler also followed his conscience. He should have minded his own business instead.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Knowl Paine...Reply to Gideon McCullough - view message

06-09-2011 09:57 AM

If it is a violation of the TOS or CS I would report it.

SL is a Community, what we allow to be considered as ethical behavior will be the measure by which SL will be judged.

I cannot imagine what a 30+ year old man and a 16 year old girl might have in common.

If you can't find people your own age who find you interesting then there is something wrong with you.

..............................................................................................................................................................................................

 Knowl Paine... Reply to Celestiall Nightfire - view message

06-09-2011 09:25 PM

When pursuing a romantic relationship. That is what I meant.

The facts are limited and I agree that it is not fair of me to presume the Residents in question are pursuing a romantic relationship.

Probability should not be ignored.

..................................................................................................................................................................................................................

 

Knowl Paine... Reply to Celestiall Nightfire - view message

06-10-2011 05:43 PM

What I view as an acceptable age gap in romantic relationships is based upon the life experiences of both parties involved.

If we were discussing a 40 year old woman and a 56 year old man we might not be discussing this. The OP claims that one party involved is a Minor under the age of 18. 

This is not entirely about a 10 or 16 year age gap, it is about when the engagement occurs.

From age 16 to age 32 people change a lot. Not so much change from 32 to 48.

These are my opinions, I will use greater caution in the future, it is not my intent to cast stones.

Part of my enjoyment in participating at this Forum is in the many opportunities provided for one to reveiw and reflect upon personal opinions, beliefs and customs. I try to use this opportunity to learn and grow.

...............................................................................................................................................................................................................

 

To: Ishtara,

Aristotle  (384 BC – 322 BC) and Humanity thinks it is evolving? :smileyvery-happy: The irony is even greater when you know that Airstotle was a student of Plato and that the knowledge exchanged was older than Airstotle. 

I'm not real happy with Bert. Yeah, it's the whole atom bomb thing. "Someone else would have made it" was Bert's usual answer. My reply would be; "then why was there only one Michael Angelo"? 

Much time has passed since we had a go around and the specific thread may not have been significant to you but it was to me. I enjoy and value your contributions here at the Forum. 

There can be many types of Relationships; ty. 

 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3553 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...