Deploy Plan for the Weeks of 2021-11-22 and 2021-11-29

Mazidox Linden

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 847 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

54 minutes ago, Jaylinbridges said:

Maybe it takes a week to degrade to 45%.

It never went above 50% at any time since that restart, assuming the region WAS migrated last week, which I have a very hard time believing.

This just does not compute.

Edited by Aishagain
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, Drake Darkheart said:

so how come higher scripts run like 98% is better ?

Simply put, 98% script-run means that 98% of the region's scripts are run in each frame that the simulator runs.  Now a simulator runs at approximately 45 fps, so 98% of the scripts on a region can run every 22 msec or so. A region with a poor 25% script-run would only run 25% of its scripts every frame, so a script might have to wait 3 or 4 frames or nearly 0.1 second before it could run.  For a vehicle script that would make using that vehicle dreadful! You would experience script-lag.

Conversely if script-run was 100%, the script could run every frame...c. 22msec.  a far more pleasant experience.

Edited by Aishagain
Inability to count

6 hours ago, Aishagain said:

OK @Linden Lab: I am calling you out this time.  YET AGAIN my region (Woods of Heaven) has NOT been restarted.  So, either the Roll was abandoned or it is NOT yet complete!  The Grid Status Page announced 25 minutes ago that the Roll had been "resolved"...what on earth do you mean by that?

If I had 100dollars for every time you announce that a Rolling Restart is complete and my region (and mine is NOT the only one) has not restarted/rolled, I would be rich...(well richer than I am).

This has happened far too often for it to be "just a minor oversight".  It is sloppy.

A brief conversation via Live Chat told me nothing other than some tech somewhere will have his ears boxed for this.  I just have the feeling that LL are no longer in control of SL in any meaningful sense.

your sim is probably on the RC servers which will get rolled tomorrow, chill out.

• Lindens
3 hours ago, Drake Darkheart said:

so how come higher scripts run like 98% is better ?

That is an essential question.  It's not necessarily an informative metric but it's one of the few that is visible.  So it becomes an object of obsession.  Sometimes it reflects script productivity.  But it can also be a negative measure:  if scripts are sluggish and not generating events for themselves and other scripts, they'll sleep and sleeping scripts are not in the runnable pool possibly inflating this figure.  Or early yields in a particular environment may inflate the number of scripts that were run but each is now doing less work.

Really need some better metrics and ones that can be used for script optimization.  How many units of computation am I getting?  Can I do the same work with less?  Can I do more per frame?  Etc...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, VenKellie said:

your sim is probably on the RC servers which will get rolled tomorrow, chill out.

Unless LL have moved Woods from SLS to RC Channel without informing us (me), that is not the case.  When the region has been restarted up until now, it has been on a Tuesday.  As far as I know moving a region in such a way is most unlikely.

5 hours ago, Monty Linden said:

It's not necessarily an informative metric but it's one of the few that is visible.  So it becomes an object of obsession.  Sometimes it reflects script productivity. 

Speaking as one of the obsessed here, but with some justification

For two years now I have been monitoring a scripted object that travels from one end of a journey to another.

The journey time was established empirically some time ago, when there was no obvious deterioration in that metric.

As the figure decreased slowly over time, the journey time increased.

With a scripts run figure of 35% (a good day in that part of mainland where this is based) the journey time had almost doubled.

With the improvement yesterday to 70% the journey time decreased to just  over optimum.

This next observation is subjective but it seems to me there is a dead-band at the top between 100% and 80% within which no measurable deterioration in performance occurs.

I think that's a suitable method of validating the metric, but I'm always ready to be corrected. :)

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

A number of Lumiya users including myself are experiencing login failures starting today. Something changed?

Same thing with Radegast:

Login response failure: Notation LLSD parsing: Unknown type marker 'S'.

I had a support chat with TJ who escalated the issue to the relevant team... Wait and see.

• Thanks 1

Someone mentioned that no one can log in Lumiya as of Dec 6 2021, I am in the same situation. You can not connect to the server or speedlight. In speedlight is says second life is working on this issue but I am not sure. 

I use the mobile device on my google chrome that it was easy to mauver, with homework at college and a child. I can go afk  and not worry about distractions. In the same time it is concerning, espeically the viewers that are approved by Second Life.

Do they still plan on the official Second life mobile?

Thank you for those who post on this subject, it is nice to know you were not going crazy on the login issue.

Peachiee

On 11/23/2021 at 11:15 PM, Mazidox Linden said:

Today we restarted all simhosts on the main channel, and tomorrow we'll be restarting all RC channels. No versions or configurations will change as a result of these restarts; 

@Monty Linden as you will see, Woods of Heaven was NOT due to be rolled to the "new" configuration on the 23rd.  The region was not restarted at all last week, so I ask again, are you actually in control of this process?

To my mind, the distinct lack of performance change of this region is straightforwardly explained by that timeline.

Today, we are due a restart to all (I assume) SLS regions though there are no details yet of just WHAT (if anything) will be rolled.

Can I respectfully ask Operations to check to see just what is going on at the simulator on which Woods is running?

Live chat really cannot handle this request.

Edited by Aishagain

• 3 weeks later...

I just looked at my recorded region statistics and ever since December 1st my region consistently reports scripts run at >95% - everything runs a lot snappier and I am not sure what changed. But whatever it was ... DO NOT CHANGE IT BACK! 😀

GWTUOHE.png

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Zi Ree said:

I just looked at my recorded region statistics and ever since December 1st my region consistently reports scripts run at >95% - everything runs a lot snappier and I am not sure what changed. But whatever it was ... DO NOT CHANGE IT BACK! 😀

GWTUOHE.png

IIRC, the script run % calculation was changed. Actual performance was estimated to be around a 10% gain, which is what you're seeing in the EPS chart, which looks to be a 30% gain.

I do not know what methods they used to base their 10% gain estimate on.

From my testing, I only saw minor improvements in certain functions.

• Lindens
12 hours ago, Lucia Nightfire said:

I recompiled a script that had been running for months and now it randomly stack heaps.

I'd like to hear more about that.  If it's something we can test, we'd love to see it.

6 hours ago, Aishagain said:

I am simply going to repeat.  Woods of Heaven has NOT changed!

Right now, this is a main region and should perform as it has in '21.  I'd have sworn it was on an RC for awhile but I may have been wrong.

@Monty Lindenfunnily enough Woods WAS on Le Tigre many moons ago (about 6 or 7 years, actually) around the period of the "Timewarp" server bug!

Yes it is working just as it has pretty much all of '21...45-55% script run indicated.

Shouldn't it have got better by now...everywhere else seems to have done.

Are you saying now that Main Server regions DIDN'T upgrade??

Edited by Aishagain

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 847 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.