What is needed to start creating clothes?

JulieeJune

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 829 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello,

I want to attempt to start working with making clothes in Second Life but I am unaware as to what I need. I have access to Adobe Applications, Maya & Mudbox. But not sure what else I need.

I am also unaware of how to import a mesh body into the program. (The one I would want to import is Maitreya Lara as it's the one I own)

I read that this is probably among the hardest things to do in SL but I would like to give it a shot anyways, I am somewhat aware of how to model, texture, rig with skeletons and such, but still not fully.

Any information is appreciated, thank you ^-^

Also.. not sure if this is the correcy forum for it...

Sounds like you already have a head start.  What you will need is a Mesh Creator's Kit from Maitreya, you can contact the owner of Maitreya and request a kit.  That will give you the body to import to Maya, and the weights etc. that you will need to rig your clothing to fit the body correctly.  All the mesh body makers in SL have such kits so if you wish to make clothing for another body you would also need to get kits for them.  Since you have Maya and Adobe I am pretty sure you won't need any other programs.  You should be able to make the mesh and rig it and upload it in .dae format using your Maya.

• 1 month later...

a common mix of programs is Marvelous Designer for realistic cloth simulation, Maya / Blender for tweaking , UV ing and rigging + animating, Zbrush for high poly details scultpting, Substance Painter for Texturing, Photoshop for texture tweaks. I would not recommend to start with all at once. you will get overwhelmed. Maya and Photoshop is a good way to start, then when you are comfortable with the programs, you can add more and improve your skills

On 11/23/2021 at 5:08 PM, JulieeJune said:

Hello,

I want to attempt to start working with making clothes in Second Life but I am unaware as to what I need. I have access to Adobe Applications, Maya & Mudbox. But not sure what else I need.

I am also unaware of how to import a mesh body into the program. (The one I would want to import is Maitreya Lara as it's the one I own)

I read that this is probably among the hardest things to do in SL but I would like to give it a shot anyways, I am somewhat aware of how to model, texture, rig with skeletons and such, but still not fully.

Any information is appreciated, thank you ^-^

Also.. not sure if this is the correcy forum for it...

Good to hear there's a new fellow Maya user! Although basic Maya is just fine to rig for SL, you might want to add Mayastar plug in to your work flow in order to simplify the job of testing shape sliders and have a collection of all the needed tools in one place as well

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 829 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.