Wind in SL

Tama Suki

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 883 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

1 hour ago, TamashiiRent Starsider said:

First thing i love of it [Firestorm] is that you can double click on the minimap for an immediate teleport.

Singularity has had that for donkey's years, along with double-click teleporting on terrain, water and all other prim/mesh/sculpted surfaces too.

Theres a "Enable Wind Effects" wind setting in Singularity as well, along with clouds too.... but not the particle ones I described previously.

The sun can be set to any time of day with one click as it still retains the original Windlight slider, unlike EEP

I find building objects in Singularity to be the best experience too, prim measurements and angles to the last decimal place don't erratically wobble around like they do in Firestorm.

Edited by SarahKB7 Koskinen
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, Nick0678 said:

Shhh.. i won't but he is smart, he already knows.

I think he has quite a solid experience now.
Remember the Cloud Party?
I have never investigated too much why he closed it, but I think he is very serious on this lap.
I also think that a good part of the world will finally understand what it means to live with lag. 😂

17 minutes ago, SarahKB7 Koskinen said:

Singularity has had that for donkey's years, along with double-click teleporting on terrain, water and all other prim/mesh/sculpted surfaces too.

Theres a wind setting in Singularity as well, along with clouds too.... but not the particle ones I described previously.

Maybe i used it long time ago but i don't remember well. It still exist? I'll give it a try later if i find it.

8 minutes ago, TamashiiRent Starsider said:

Remember the Cloud Party?

Nope closed my Facebook account back in 2009.. Never really used it for anything other than play Zynga Texas Hold'em while bored but after a while i got bored of that too..

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Nick0678 said:

Nope closed my Facebook account back in 2009.. Never really used it for anything other than play Zynga Texas Hold'em while bored but after a while i got bored of that too..

In those days, many SL artists seemed to have gone mad euphoric about that metaverse and were rushing to move their entire background there. Being a creative person, I immediately noticed that there was a very well done building system there, better than that of SL in many ways.
But the structure of the world was all wrong in my opinion. Lots of separate little islands and not a real open world like Second Life is.
I'm curious how they designed the new world today. What is certain is that they have focused a lot on the connection between the metaverse and real life, a bit like SL was in the early days but then the technology of that time was not sophisticated enough and the virtual flame soon went out.
However, I believe that even today the real world is not yet ready for an effective transhumanist transition.
I suspect that Zuck's Metaworld will only be useful to a narrow elite, but I don't despise it at all. What Zuck is doing is an important step and I wish him success.

13 minutes ago, TamashiiRent Starsider said:

In those days, many SL artists seemed to have gone mad euphoric about that metaverse and were rushing to move their entire background there. Being a creative person, I immediately noticed that there was a very well done building system there, better than that of SL in many ways.
But the structure of the world was all wrong in my opinion. Lots of separate little islands and not a real open world like Second Life is.
I'm curious how they designed the new world today. What is certain is that they have focused a lot on the connection between the metaverse and real life, a bit like SL was in the early days but then the technology of that time was not sophisticated enough and the virtual flame soon went out.
However, I believe that even today the real world is not yet ready for an effective transhumanist transition.
I suspect that Zuck's Metaworld will only be useful to a narrow elite, but I don't despise it at all. What Zuck is doing is an important step and I wish him success.

Idk all i remember from my 2009 SL days is some silly prim clothes and everyone being dressed with freebies and after a while me getting bored of it and logging in rarely. Now in regards to Zuck.. we 'll just have to wait and see what's on his mind. Fresh ideas as long as you don't have to pay for them are always welcome.

Edited by Nick0678
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, TamashiiRent Starsider said:

Could we create a class action that asks the guys from Firestorm to give us back the wind? 😝

You can put in a feature request here: https://jira.firestormviewer.org/browse/FIRE-23957?jql=project %3D FIRE AND issuetype %3D Improvement AND resolution %3D Unresolved ORDER BY priority DESC%2C updated DESC

• Like 1

23 hours ago, TamashiiRent Starsider said:

Hey anyone remember when in SL there was the sound of the wind?
I always wondered why they took it off.
It gave a certain sense of power and vitality.

Probably because a lot of people used to complain about it being annoying and could no longer turn it off in the viewer. Before 2007 there used to be a wind volume control in the settings and then around 2007ish it was gone and the wind volume was only adjustable under the ambient volume which also included things like footsteps etc. I would dare say that not being able to toggle it separately and in most cases it being annoying it was removed. I know in 2013 they also did some wind adjustments to reduce lag so maybe that included the sound.

As to @SarahKB7 Koskinen posting about clouds, it was a simplified volumetric cloud system called 'classic clouds' that was part of Second Life before windlight was added. It was kept in the viewer for a while and could be toggled but was removed due to the lag it used to cause for lower systems in around 2013. It started as always on, then went to on by default, then changed to off by default and then went poof. What should have happened was that the classic clouds be replaced with windlights newer and relatively lag free volumetric clouds but LL in their infinite wisdom removed the cloud part out of windlight for a watered down version. There should be a video of the classic clouds on the wiki or second life's youtube page.

As to @Alwin Alcott comment about rain, it used to exist in the alpha and beta version of SL but due to collision checking etc for the rain being to demanding and it going into houses (through prims) LL removed it after complaints that it was too unrealistic. Once again, windlight did have a rain effect as well but that was also not introduced to the viewer when LL bought windlight and added it to the viewer in is very basic form. Maybe for the same reason of collision checking, who knows.

Andrew Linden stated a long time ago that some of the environmental features that were removed like rain and even being able to interact with the wind were on the list of things to add back in, but never were.

:EDIT: heres the cloud video of how they used to look for those that never saw them.

Edited by Drayke Newall
found and added cloud video of what it looked like
  • Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

And if you express things politely, without demanding, whining or coming across as melodramatic, they might take care of it for you.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 883 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.