Wind in SL

Tama Suki

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 875 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

50 minutes ago, TamashiiRent Starsider said:

Hey anyone remember when in SL there was the sound of the wind?
I always wondered why they took it off.
It gave a certain sense of power and vitality.

yep... the same with fog ( don't know if there was more.. rain perhaps?..).. gone with the wind

Edited by Alwin Alcott
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Alwin Alcott said:

yep... the same with fog ( don't know if there was more.. rain perhaps?..).. gone with the wind

I don't remember fog or rain but I do remember that I was really addicted to the sound of the wind. Maybe they took it off for that reason. It was also very dynamic and realistic. 

There's still wind noises when free-flying around the sky without an aircraft. Hold PgUp to fly to hear it.

Clouds once existed in SL too and not just around lagged avatars, but cloud particles were actually part of the sky in the past and found at altitudes of 150-ish metres, or so.  One could previously walk up mountain sides into dense clouds from below then up and out through back into clear skies. I miss the clouds. They were great and could be used as free "fog" when buildings or whole towns were placed up into these altitudes, so making a Victorian style foggy London roleplay sim for example could be done quite easily without adding in any extra particle emitters. 

Back to wind. I would love to see (?!) a form of comprehensive, standardised wind, thermal, air pressure and gravity system added to all of SL's skies sometime in the future, so that anyone attached to or wearing a basic aerofoil-shaped prim could experience "real flying", using actual wind, air currents and thermals to affect (and be affected by) "real" aircraft wings. Working kites, gliders, balloons, propeller and jet engine equipped aircraft could then behave far more realistically than at present. Turning off a plane engine in flight right now is very unrealistic, the plane merely stops and becomes static in the sky, doesn't fall and there's no danger - unless you open the door and jump out!

Extreme high altitudes could also be simulated to have low or non-existant air pressures, perhaps reusing SL's old Badlands health meter system which used to teleport you home after a 0% health "death". And perhaps zero gravity at extreme high altitudes too? Working space rockets could be built... although SL's ceiling is currently limited to a usable altitude of only 4096m. A video game such as Squad's "Kerbal Space Program" has a very good (but not perfect) atmosphere and gravity simulator modelled into it and should be a blueprint of how to create a similar SL system too. 

Edited by SarahKB7 Koskinen
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, SarahKB7 Koskinen said:

There's still wind noises when free-flying around the sky without an aircraft. Hold PgUp to fly to hear it.

Clouds once existed in SL too and not just around lagged avatars, but cloud particles were actually part of the sky in the past and found at altitudes of 150-ish metres, or so.  One could previously walk up mountainsides into dense clouds from below then up and out through back into clear skies. I miss the clouds. They were great and could be used as free "fog" when buildings or whole towns were placed up into these altitudes, so making a Victorian style foggy London roleplay sim for example could be done quite easily without adding in any extra particle emitters. 

Back to wind. I would love to see (?!) a form of comprehensive, standardised wind, thermal, air pressure and gravity system added to all of SL's skies sometime in the future, so that anyone attached to or wearing a basic aerofoil-shaped prim could experience "real flying", using actual wind, air currents and thermals to affect (and be affected by) "real" aircraft wings. Working kites, gliders, balloons, propeller and jet engine equipped aircraft could then behave far more realistically than at present.

Extreme high altitudes could also be simulated to have low or non-existant air pressures, perhaps reusing SL's old-school 100% health meter system used to teleport you home after a 0% health "death". And perhaps zero gravity at extreme high altitudes too? Working space rockets could be built... although SL's ceiling is currently limited to an altitude of only 4096m. A video game such as Squad's "Kerbal Space Program" has a very good (but not perfect) atmosphere and gravity simulator modelled into it and should be a blueprint of how to create a similar SL system too. 

Very interesting SarahKB7. But i think all those things would costo a lot of resources.

8 hours ago, SarahKB7 Koskinen said:

so that anyone attached to or wearing a basic aerofoil-shaped prim could experience "real flying", using actual wind, air currents and thermals to affect (and be affected by) "real" aircraft wings. Working kites, gliders, balloons, propeller and jet engine equipped aircraft could then behave far more realistically than at present.

You just have to choose your aircraft carefully! I have two sailplanes and a motorized paraglider that have scripted "thermal" and/or "slope soaring" physics. They do behave pretty much like real versions of these types of craft. Some other powered aircraft, while not including air mass physics, do have pretty realistic flight models. Too realistic for me, as it turns out...they are much harder to fly successfully than other "less realistic" but more SL-friendly aircraft.

For truly realistic flight, you're better off with Microsoft Flight Simulator anyway.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, TamashiiRent Starsider said:

I know zero about coding.

With this script i can listen again at the wind in some way?

This script below will 'loop' a wav file. If you can find a wav file of the sound of wind you wish to hear it will play it for you on repeat.

.wav files can be uloaded provided they are 10 seconds or less mono at ... if i recall .. 41Khz sample rate. Audacity can be used to make or edit wav files for free.

// put in prim and add a wav file

{
    state_entry()
    {
        llStopSound();
        llSleep(.2);
        llLoopSound(llGetInventoryName(INVENTORY_SOUND, 0), 0.90);
    }
}

You see that '0.9' at the end of the code ? Thats the level - any float number between 0 - off to 1 - max vol

x

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, rasterscan said:

This script below will 'loop' a wav file. If you can find a wav file of the sound of wind you wish to hear it will play it for you on repeat.

.wav files can be uloaded provided they are 10 seconds or less mono at ... if i recall .. 41Khz sample rate. Audacity can be used to make or edit wav files for free.

// put in prim and add a wav file

{
    state_entry()
    {
        llStopSound();
        llSleep(.2);
        llLoopSound(llGetInventoryName(INVENTORY_SOUND, 0), 0.90);
    }
}

You see that '0.9' at the end of the code ? Thats the level - any float number between 0 - off to 1 - max vol

x

Thanks for the advice rasterscan but what I would like is the lively and dynamic sound of the invorld wind and not a loop played from my account.
I will keep the script you gave me anyway because it will come in handy. In fact, I'm asking you if you can give me a script that can loop several audio files in succession if you can, thank you 😄.

11 minutes ago, TamashiiRent Starsider said:

Thanks for the advice rasterscan but what I would like is the lively and dynamic sound of the invorld wind and not a loop played from my account.
I will keep the script you gave me anyway because it will come in handy. In fact, I'm asking you if you can give me a script that can loop several audio files in succession if you can, thank you 😄.

As has been noted, you can still hear the wind when using "avatar flight". I doubt that it was ever set so that you'd hear it all the time because that would mean you'd hear constant wind noises when you're inside a building. There would probably be a way to set things up so that you can technically be "flying" but it would look like you're walking if you want to hear them more of the time.

12 minutes ago, Theresa Tennyson said:

As has been noted, you can still hear the wind when using "avatar flight". I doubt that it was ever set so that you'd hear it all the time because that would mean you'd hear constant wind noises when you're inside a building. There would probably be a way to set things up so that you can technically be "flying" but it would look like you're walking if you want to hear them more of the time.

No Theresa what you feel now when you fly is another matter entirely.
Once upon a time you could hear the sound of the wind when you floated in the sky without moving and the effect was very dynamic, depending on which direction the wind was coming from or which direction your avatar was facing. It seems to me that when you were on the ground you couldn't hear the sound of the wind, I seem to remember.
That sound was very deep and entered you, I remember that I was quite intoxicated by that effect and I spent long moments savoring it and making it envelop my soul.
It gave a dramatically engaging sense of power.
When they removed it they also ripped off a piece of my soul connected with Second Life, it was a trauma, an amputation of the spirit.

4 minutes ago, TamashiiRent Starsider said:

No Theresa what you feel now when you fly is another matter entirely.
Once upon a time you could hear the sound of the wind when you floated in the sky without moving and the effect was very dynamic, depending on which direction the wind was coming from or which direction your avatar was facing. It seems to me that when you were on the ground you couldn't hear the sound of the wind, I seem to remember.
That sound was very deep and entered you, I remember that I was quite intoxicated by that effect and I spent long moments savoring it and making it envelop my soul.
It gave a dramatically engaging sense of power.
When they removed it they also ripped off a piece of my soul connected with Second Life, it was a trauma, an amputation of the spirit.

When you're "floating in the sky without moving" you're flying. The sound's still there but it's quiet. Turn the "Ambient" slider under volume controls all the way up; you may need to increase the volume on your computer/speakers as well.

There; soul repaired.

9 minutes ago, Theresa Tennyson said:

When you're "floating in the sky without moving" you're flying. The sound's still there but it's quiet. Turn the "Ambient" slider under volume controls all the way up; you may need to increase the volume on your computer/speakers as well.

There; soul repaired.

I checked all the options in the advanced menu to be scrupulous, but no. There is no longer that effect.
The last time I heard it I was using an old viewer that no longer exists, I think it was Emerald if I'm not mistaken.

I always suspected that the SL team eliminated it because perhaps they realized that it could potentially be a vehicle of negative dependence for users.
I say this because it was addictive to me, pleasant, but still an addiction.

8 minutes ago, TamashiiRent Starsider said:

I checked all the options in the advanced menu to be scrupulous, but no. There is no longer that effect.
The last time I heard it I was using an old viewer that no longer exists, I think it was Emerald if I'm not mistaken.

I always suspected that the SL team eliminated it because perhaps they realized that it could potentially be a vehicle of negative dependence for users.
I say this because it was addictive to me, pleasant, but still an addiction.

It's still there in the Linden Lab viewer. Firestorm seems to have done something different.

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Theresa Tennyson said:

It's still there in the Linden Lab viewer. Firestorm seems to have done something different.

OMG! you are right!

The sad thing though is that the official viewer sucks.
I would like to understand why the Firestorm folks removed that feature.

4 minutes ago, TamashiiRent Starsider said:

OMG! you are right!

you answered that question earlier.. It was part of Emerald.. They kyboshed a lot of things that viewer had, to distance them selves from it. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Drake1 Nightfire said:

you answered that question earlier.. It was part of Emerald.. They kyboshed a lot of things that viewer had, to distance them selves from it. 

I don't really know why SL banned Emerald, but i don't think that wind feature was a problem since still exist in the official viewer.

Really i cannot enjoy SL using the official viewer. If only they could take away that stupid function that force you to open a window when you want to speak I could perhaps take it back into consideration as official viewer for my existence.

11 minutes ago, TamashiiRent Starsider said:

OMG! you are right!

People were probably complaining about the constant sound.

I have great respect for the Firestorm team, but there are certain times that they seem to think, "This is how all Right-Thinking People do this," when that may not be the case.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Theresa Tennyson said:

People were probably complaining about the constant sound.

I have great respect for the Firestorm team, but there are certain times that they seem to think, "This is how all Right-Thinking People do this," when that may not be the case.

Could we create a class action that asks the guys from Firestorm to give us back the wind? 😝

Because i don't want to leave Firestorm. That viewer have everythings and more that any viewer should have.

First thing i love of it is that you can double click on the minimap for an immediate teleport.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 875 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.