New Search page how to change it back?

SheriBalto

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 835 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

17 minutes ago, SheriBalto said:

This new search page looks like a roll back to geo cities looking websites very very horrible look. Is there a way to manually use the old interface it looked 100 times nicer even with its issues.

I doubt there is a way to revert.  You could use Firestorm or possibly another third party viewer that still lets you use the old legacy non-web search.

24 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

I doubt there is a way to revert.  You could use Firestorm or possibly another third party viewer that still lets you use the old legacy non-web search.

I am on firestorm and it looks horrible on it if i wanted it to look this bad I would be using singularity.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

33 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:

I like it, looks good, nice and clean, dark UI and very responsive in the viewer.

A+

Its very basic but very clean and modern, yes.

The actual search page at least.

The moment you click on search....yeah, I can see Geocities. The cluttered mess is still there especially where the classifieds are....whew. I wouldn't mind it if the bright blue classified section wasn't so in my face. Just give that search page a ridiculous loud background and youve got a geocities page.

Also, there is this: In the attached image, the letters were out of the element box. Little things like that matter to me.

Grade: B- For effort.

9762bcd5e83fd2344f068113f289f80c.png

Edited by Chris Nova
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, Chris Nova said:

Its very basic but very clean and modern, yes.

The actual search page at least.

The moment you click on search....yeah, I can see Geocities. The cluttered mess is still there especially where the classifieds are....whew. I wouldn't mind it if the bright blue classified section wasn't so in my face. Just give that search page a ridiculous loud background and youve got a geocities page.

Also, there is this: In the attached image, the letters were out of the element box. Little things like that matter to me.

Grade: B- For effort.

9762bcd5e83fd2344f068113f289f80c.png

The sites grade for me is  the lowest possible F it looks so bad its an eye sore in every way.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

@Rowan Amore My search does not look like that, is that from in world? I don’t have the logout and how did you get rid of all the junk on the right of the screen?

I agree, yours does not look as bad as what I see.

Edit: LOL I have no idea how to do that @ thing.

Edited by Teagan Tobias

4 minutes ago, Teagan Tobias said:

@Rowan Amore My search does not look like that, is that from in world? I don’t have the logout and how did you get rid of all the junk on the right of the screen?

I agree, yours does not look as bad as what I see.

Edit: LOL I have no idea how to do that @ thing.

That's her phone.

3 hours ago, SheriBalto said:

This new search page looks like a roll back to geo cities looking websites very very horrible look. Is there a way to manually use the old interface it looked 100 times nicer even with its issues.

You can still use one of the viewers that have legacy search.

Screenshot_2021-11-23_03-45-55.thumb.png.08d2f5bc010d5398f39213231aeb9299.png

2 hours ago, Rowan Amore said:

Looks like a upgrade.  @Prokofy Nevahas the first 15 out of 17 pages with his rentals now.   Does this make it fixed?

Even my alt who wasn't showing at all before is right where she should be at the top of the list.

Screenshot_20211122-182452.thumb.png.7770c865ceaacd59612493380c42376c.png

No, don't be ridiculous. And that's not even true. It has exactly the same problems I've discussed for a year -- and now it's worse.

The Lindens said they weren't changing search; they were changing the INTERFACE only, the UI. Therefore it isn't as if they changed algorithms that now mysteriously benefit me -- not only would the Lindens never do that; they didn't change any algorithms and explained that in their office hour with web users. So knock it off.

Yeah, it's so "clean and modern" that it shows virtually nothing -- but that's the plan, eh?

And I have many things I could point out about how terrible it is, first and foremost with the too large type, two large spacing, and 7 returns per pages which is ridiculous for any search engine.

It's as if the idea of search now is to stop people from finding things or only go to whatever is on top.

The Land & Rentals page is still very clunky and still doesn't work well and still has oddly non-working parts of it. Perhaps because they have "Land & Rentals," the Lindens removed "Rentals" as a category out of "Places" which is also an absurdity, because it is still on the about land menu. Unless they hope to delete it there, too.

Yep, if you use the interface as it is supposedly intended, checking off the boxes that appear need to be checked, you get "0" for Ravenglass. So again, knock it off. And once again, it's not about me, and the way to judge whether it is fixed is not about my little company.

It's about whether you can get clean results with exact person names in search/people and exact titles of companies or venues in search/places.

The interface can only understand "price" as something that attaches to "land for sale" status, and it doesn't work for RENT, so that typing in prices for RENT and clicking RENT means "ZERO".

c0bfb78c79e674817cc4fb2e50e8accf.thumb.png.182470a472bc642162e177275ec85a71.png

Edited by Prokofy Neva
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Prokofy Neva said:

No, don't be ridiculous. And that's not even true. It has exactly the same problems I've discussed for a year -- and now it's worse.

The Lindens said they weren't changing search; they were changing the INTERFACE only, the UI. Therefore it isn't as if they changed algorithms that now mysteriously benefit me -- not only would the Lindens never do that; they didn't change any algorithms and explained that in their office hour with web users. So knock it off.

Yeah, it's so "clean and modern" that it shows virtually nothing -- but that's the plan, eh?

And I have many things I could point out about how terrible it is, first and foremost with the too large type, two large spacing, and 7 returns per pages which is ridiculous for any search engine.

It's as if the idea of search now is to stop people from finding things or only go to whatever is on top.

The Land & Rentals page is still very clunky and still doesn't work well and still has oddly non-working parts of it. Perhaps because they have "Land & Rentals," the Lindens removed "Rentals" as a category out of "Places" which is also an absurdity, because it is still on the about land menu. Unless they hope to delete it there, too.

Yep, if you use the interface as it is supposedly intended, checking off the boxes that appear need to be checked, you get "0" for Ravenglass. So again, knock it off. And once again, it's not about me, and the way to judge whether it is fixed is not about my little company.

It's about whether you can get clean results with exact person names in search/people and exact titles of companies or venues in search/places.

The interface can only understand "price" as something that attaches to "land for sale" status, and it doesn't work for RENT, so that typing in prices for RENT and clicking RENT means "ZERO".

We all know SL search sucks. Thats why we have Firestorm.

0fb9274747fce862814927e170983335.png

10 minutes ago, Prokofy Neva said:

IDK...works perfectly fine from the website.

Screenshot_20211122-210222.thumb.png.37a604ec3d856c67518764b47667acc2.png

• Haha 1

Traffic no longer shown.

Number of agents present no longer shown even though it was completely hard to read correctly before.

No "list" viewer option.

No returns per page option.

Maturity cannot be changed post-search. You have to go back, change it, then search again.

Relevance calc is still strange to say the least. (It seems to favor parcel name more than anything.)

Edited by Lucia Nightfire
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

IDK...works perfectly fine from the website.

Screenshot_20211122-210222.thumb.png.37a604ec3d856c67518764b47667acc2.png

1. 335 is too many results; only 165 are in paid search/places ads

2. The name of the company is "Ravenglass Rentals," and that search produces thousands of returns; using "Ravenglass" is only a stopgap because it is broken.

3. Chris had the sense to do this same search on Firestorm and illustrate the points I have made for a year, visually. That's all there is to it. If you think that lists surrounded by wads of space, and you're unable to change elements of the search after you get the results without starting over (the problem with Land & Rentals); if you don't have traffic (which is important to some venue managers and merchants to show), then what good are you?

Everyone should be able to look up exact company names and get a limited number of returns, not thousands.

I have never understood why the Lindens broke this, and why they couldn't remain happy with it as it was, and why Firestorm couldn't prevail on them to keep it as it was.

Edited by Prokofy Neva

25 minutes ago, Chris Nova said:

We all know SL search sucks. Thats why we have Firestorm.

0fb9274747fce862814927e170983335.png

Yeah, I know. Firestorm shows it as it was back in 1.23, imagine, before Viewer 2.0 was imposed on us, and those of us who objected were told by Oz to shut up.

It's a clean, one-line entry, no extra space, no distractions, nothing.

There are only as many returns as are in search/places ads, i.e. 130 or 160 or whatever it is a given weak you checked off.

Traffic is shown, which in my case is irrelevant and not what people look for. They just want a clean list that shows the company's names and the places for rent.

I've made the point hundreds of times that the Firestorm version is the ideal, but I should have shown a screenshot. Because it speaks a thousand words. The fancy new "clean and modern" interface is frigging ridiculous -- so much "modern space" -- like the Google page which only has its name and search box lol -- so few returns with so much space around them like some hipster restaurant menu -- it's preposterous.

The only reason I still have people find my rentals in search is that 90% of SL is on Firestorm.

But I do not wish to be on Firestorm for the historical reasons of their bad behaviour and harassment of me and my tenants personally, the end.

And I think as a matter of principle, the Lindens need to make their own search work and not have 90% of their users in the hands of the enemy.

Raph Koster I believe said the viewer is always in the hands of the enemy in games.  That's how to see it. If you don't control your viewer and make it work, you do not control your virtual world.

• Haha 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 835 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.