FaceBook is now Meta & creating a Virtual World.

Rob Huntsman

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 882 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

FaceBook, is now seeming to be going after the same market now as Second life. Do you think Second life will be able to compete with Meta? Once Meta's virtual world established/finished, I can see that being a huge piece of competition there.

https://www.businessinsider.com/scott-galloway-metaverse-future-not-facebook-2021-8

Edited by Rob Huntsman
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

• Rob Huntsman changed the title to FaceBook is now Meta & creating a Virtual World.
1 hour ago, suzyst said:

I don't let zukerberg and his spyware anywhere near my RL, certainly not going to let the creep invade my virtual life

That is more a fond, rosy-tinged hope rather than a ringing declaration of liberty. The Zuck Knows, and his list is much more complete than Santa's.

1 hour ago, Adam Spark said:

At least the idea of a true metaverse isn't dead.

I still wish Linden Lab didn't abandon the idea though.

They still have the option, the very real option to opening a portal to the HyperGrid like they have in 2008 (see http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Open_Grid_Public_Beta). Contrary to back then, there is now gatekeeper functionality that will block the transfer of assets from (in this case) SL to OpenSim unless the creator specifically indicated that this would be allowed. Similarly, it can prevent the import of (all) assets coming from OpenSim to SL which is how we would want it because of all the illegal content that exists on OpenSim.
Yes, there is also a lot of original content on OpenSim, but unfortunately it is not possible for any kind of software to tell the difference between an original item coming from OpenSim and a stolen one.

The above scenario actually already is being done between different HyperGrid-connected OpenSim grids. I have come across it while I was exploring the HyperGrid and went to a grid with an economy, where you had to buy their currency to purchase the (all original!) products on their grid. You could bring nothing with you in or out. When arriving, you got a default avatar for which you could find freebies to get dressed, kinda like the process for new arrivals on SL.

In the case of SL, I would imagine that after arriving from the HyperGrid, you would get the option to explore SL with a username that reflects from which grid your avatar came from, or to get connected to your existing SL account (after answering some security questions and/or entering username and pass of course).

*IF* LL would decide to reconnect to the HyperGrid, then I would imagine it to be in the form as I laid out above. 
I am certain that this can be done and that it is actually feasible, but it would require a willingness and a bit of elbow grease on LL's part, as well as perhaps a change of policy on software contributions to 3rd party software (in this case OpenSim) by LL employees, because I would not be surprised if they feel that the gatekeeper and/or other parts of the OpenSim software would require some updating or fixing before LL can open their HyperGrid doors again.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I would think that after 14 years the code that allowed them to connect would have long ago been pulled out. At the very least it would have to go through some major updates that have been instituted in the opensim code since then. The question would be of what benefit would it be to Second Life unless they were to open up the marketplace to hypergrid shopping like the Kitely market did.  They would then need to allow Opensim residents to purchase lindens and that to me sounds like it might get messy although it would be great as a replacement for gloebits and give some work to Tila and grow its clientele. On the other hand, certainly some people would then give up the high cost of land in Second Life and switch over to Opensim. So certainly would be a some trade-off there. To me it seems somewhat risky unless there were longer range plans then just Opensim.

On 11/21/2021 at 2:00 PM, Fritigern Gothly said:

They still have the option, the very real option to opening a portal to the HyperGrid like they have in 2008 (see http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Open_Grid_Public_Beta). Contrary to back then, there is now gatekeeper functionality that will block the transfer of assets from (in this case) SL to OpenSim unless the creator specifically indicated that this would be allowed. Similarly, it can prevent the import of (all) assets coming from OpenSim to SL which is how we would want it because of all the illegal content that exists on OpenSim.
Yes, there is also a lot of original content on OpenSim, but unfortunately it is not possible for any kind of software to tell the difference between an original item coming from OpenSim and a stolen one.

The above scenario actually already is being done between different HyperGrid-connected OpenSim grids. I have come across it while I was exploring the HyperGrid and went to a grid with an economy, where you had to buy their currency to purchase the (all original!) products on their grid. You could bring nothing with you in or out. When arriving, you got a default avatar for which you could find freebies to get dressed, kinda like the process for new arrivals on SL.

In the case of SL, I would imagine that after arriving from the HyperGrid, you would get the option to explore SL with a username that reflects from which grid your avatar came from, or to get connected to your existing SL account (after answering some security questions and/or entering username and pass of course).

*IF* LL would decide to reconnect to the HyperGrid, then I would imagine it to be in the form as I laid out above. 
I am certain that this can be done and that it is actually feasible, but it would require a willingness and a bit of elbow grease on LL's part, as well as perhaps a change of policy on software contributions to 3rd party software (in this case OpenSim) by LL employees, because I would not be surprised if they feel that the gatekeeper and/or other parts of the OpenSim software would require some updating or fixing before LL can open their HyperGrid doors again.

Absolutely it can be done. Linden Lab demonstrated it in 2008 as you mentioned. Unfortunately they abandoned the project. Perhaps one day they will get involved. Maybe their first attempt was ahead of its time.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

15 minutes ago, Adam Spark said:

Absolutely it can be done. Linden Lab demonstrated it in 2008 as you mentioned. Unfortunately they abandoned the project. Perhaps one day they will get involved. Maybe their first attempt was ahead of its time.

OpenSim at the time was in its infancy, lots of stuff was not working as reliably as it does nowadays. 
The time was definitely not right but for that short time in 2008, SL was part of a metaverse and I am sure SL/LL can do it again. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 882 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.