Why did the preview of weighted meshes change ?

Gaia Clary

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4698 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

some time ago i could see in the preview window, how a rigged mesh reacts to my movements. That was a nice way to check on weight errors before uploading. This feature has been removed as far as i can see. Today i only see the weighted mesh in a default pose. Moving around or playing an animation no longer shows up in the preview window and i have to upload the mesh and test inworld if it has weight errors.

I have added a jira for this, but it was marked as not applicable. Anybody knows why ?

https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/CTS-609

• Lindens

Gaia: You should be able to preview your rig in your modeling package in order to identify any weighting errors (e.g overlapping vertices) - typically just by selecting the bones and moving them around will allow you to see weighting errors . You don't have to u/l to test for these types problems.

-prep

• Like 1

"You should be able to preview your rig in your modeling package in order to identify any weighting errors " - Prep Linden Obviously an engineer with no real world experience. There are always errors. That's why its called beta. That is why aircraft manufacturers spend millions on testing to work out the bugs. It isn't until you put the object or creation into it's working environment that you get valid feedback as to bugs. Ask NASA about TWO probes that crashed on Mars because of unforeseen bugs.

Please see CTS-444 as an example where in my 3D tool (blender) everything looks correct but when i wear the mesh in SL i get a very unexpected spiky hedgehogg character ;-)

Here is the "spikes in action" video : http://blog.machinimatrix.org/spikes-after-mesh-upload-to-sl/

ok, i admit that with the current static display i would see the "mad vertices" in most cases. And hopefully CTS-444 will add a solution or workaround for this situation, but in general i found the possibility was a welcome "last minute check" before upload.

• Lindens

Gaia:

If it would help, we could add the ability to allow you to change the preview animation in the model upload window via pulldown (e.g. for example making available idle, walk and run). Would that help you in tracking down your weighting errors?

• Lindens

Gaia:

I just added some code to importer that informs you if there is a mismatch between the skin weights and the vertex count (the error shows up in the log atm, but there is a generic parse error posted in the model-upload window for the time being)  and prevents you from uploading that type of malformed skin.

Thanks for the asset btw!

• Like 1

Prep Linden wrote:

Gaia:

If it would help, we could add the ability to allow you to change the preview animation in the model upload window via pulldown (e.g. for example making available idle, walk and run). Would that help you in tracking down your weighting errors?

In fact i was thinking exactly about such a solution earlier this day. Beeing able to feed a couple of default animations into the previewer sounds like a very attractive solution! I would love to see that ;-)

as a sidenote: (thinking ahead of time) if we will get custom bones at some time in the future, it would of course be nice to be able to define, which custom animation shall be tested with the mesh... But thats just a sidenote.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4698 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.