Bellisseria Mailboxes

Prokofy Neva

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 870 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

CAN YOU STILL GET GOM'D?

Could it possibly be that from my lips, to God's ear? That can't be, as coding an entire mailbox/telephone kind of system can't be done in 14 days, right? Please tell me that this idea was spawned before I mentioned the need for the Lindens to have more far-reaching communication devices/channels with residents.

So the new BBB mailboxes are both mailboxes in the sense that you can send messages (and even an elephant) to other residents, but they are also systems where Lindens/Moles/BBB leadership can send out mass messages, about events, etc. 

THE ELEPHANT IN THE MAILBOX

I think if there is too much public-address system type usage, and tests of the emergency broadcast system, so to speak, people will delete them, but in fact the system has crashed from heavy use, and that's even before I attempted to send a giant multi-hundred prim elephant ride with multiple authors through the system. (After noticing the seller is MIA and his store is gone, and noticing a prominent person's prims deep within it, I'm checking now to see if it was "liberated" and then will abuse report it). But there will be other elephants...

I myself got a mailbox, which you can only get if you registered to get a BBB passport (for the stamp game) because it might be useful. Although I have Oriolus Oliva's mailbox at the Bellisseria Commissary, for example, because it's fun sending postcards and you can add custom postcards for that site. Now he's been GOM'd by the sprawling Bellisseria suburb part of our game world, although I will still keep his kiosk because it has a variety of pre-set postcards for people to select, which some residents could manage in their constant communications to others, but not everyone. PS I have to run it at a loss, because he charges 5L per postcard, and we can't have sales in Belli so I make them $0. Elsewhere I charge 5L or 10L. Because these systems cost money, and it costs money for him to develop it and update it and I fully accept that. The Lindens incurred costs with the free Belli mailbox, but likely it's offset by increasing premium memberships.

DOES IT PHONE HOME?

I did ask in the group whether these mailboxes retained the communications somewhere, and how that data would be used, something that of course the usual fanboyz and fangirlz objected to me even asking -- although it's the question everyone routinely asks of Facebook and complains bitterly about when it comes to Facebook. I notice often that questions asked of social media and budding metaverses in the real world, so to speak, are somehow taboo in SL, which is beloved, but long ago when I asked about the retention of the user email addresses attached to the postcard system of the Snapzilla site (long ago retired, and not only for that reason), I got all kinds of angry static. The world is different now, and I ask it again, because it's normal.

And the answer I got was basically no, because the data is dumped. Well, yes and no. It might be like a rental script that has X capacity for data it retains, including the avatar UUID so she can refund it, but unless it is attached to a website, it doesn't keep all that data for you to search somewhere, you'd have to manually keep it and who has the time? Of course some networked rental and teleport systems ARE on web sites and DO retain data outside of SL and we don't know what happens to it but that is supposed not to be our business. It does not appear that the BBB has a website that retains this data outside of SL or for that matter inside it, but then, this is an outfit that includes in its RP the demand to come and get a body scan to complete your passport process. (I think that's a joke.)

WOOSHING TO THE P.O.

The BBB mailbox is an object with Experience added which you must accept before using it. Currently if you click on it, it teleports you to the BBB location where you can get the mailboxes, which I think is happening because the system is "down" now and you can't use it to send new messages although you can receive old ones. I assume when "up" it has an interface where you type someone's name and a message or even an object. And that when the Lindens use this squawk box, it will have some kind of text kept in it that if I click, I will get. That is, I think it will be "on demand" and not like all those shopping malls that capture your name and spam you, right? I don't think that's the intention here at all.

Usually at this juncture choruses of people say this is a fun game and why am I suspicious and why do I ask these questions? Again, it's normal, and people should be reassured in its rollout. As it was explained to me about the BBB mailboxes, I can expect the same level of privacy that I can expect from any communication in SL, which is a funny way to put it simply because yes, LL retains our data. They must have terrabytes of chat and voice, in part because they need to ensure that you can always pull up the record of chat typed, and all your notecards etc. (BTW, as far as I can tell, unlike various Google sites and Typepad, there isn't a way to go into SL folders or make a request to get a zipped file of all your notecards in SL. Your chat is on notecards on your hard drive if you are careful not to let it get wiped out with new patches. But I've never heard of any way except manually to collect all your notecard data and my God, what a chore, who has the time)

LL IS TRUSTWORTHY WITH USER DATA

I personally think Linden Lab has a sterling record on the issue of user data. I don't see that they use it in any sort of way such as to, say, throw elections in this or that country or manipulate people's impressions of the news, like some big social media companies. I don't think they are in that business at all. I have never been asked if I wanted to extend my car warranty by the Lindens, in any form, ever. LL has had glitches over the years where that password hash browns and eggs thing was messed up, but I never got badly misspelled e-mails from anybody telling me they had a collection of screenshots from SL that I could now buy back in bitcoin. You know? I mean I think that is really something to be treasured and I think whatever it's real-life BBB rep, caused often by people who were deservedly banned from the service, it's rep among its actual users in good faith is A+. I never chat with someone in SL, as I do with my RL daughter about, say, an icecream cone or an umbrella, and find those things served up to me in ads everywhere on the web I go then, for eternity.

But residents' groups? Lindesident groups? (Hybrid resident/Linden/Mole groups). That's a valid question to ask, given the SL's history which contains events like the hijacking of user log-ins on a site to cause a DDoS. Or the harveser of IP addresses which people knowingly bought to deter alts that harassed them by someone who went to RL prison for other reasons. Etc. Fortunately such incidents are few in SL; it's only because the world is small that they can loom larger than life.

So currently, the mailboxes are not working as such but they will likely be fixed soon. So I tested it and no, you cannot put it out on Mainland because it's attached to some flagged sim code, or rather sim that is not coded and therefore enabled for easier mass action as Abner explained -- you can't subdivide your Belli parcel, etc.

UPDATE: Yes! That is the plan I have been told by a BBB rep, that you will "go there" when it is working (and can still go now to collect any previously sent mail) and click on a wall of grey mailboxes to pick up your mail. I think these people are going to need a bigger build and at least the modern equivalent of cracker barrels if there is a pile-up. Heck, they may need an island and 4 cam shopping sims because it might get that much use with the 1600+ regions of Bellisseria and their 20 each residents (let's say) = 32,000. I'll be in fact it's more like 150,000 given that multiple people live in the homes. And that sometimes people are between homes but will still have a mailbox they can put on some other person's Belli property as I am indicating.

THE GENERAL STORE

So my venerable alt put the Bellisseria Commissary to our group, and thus I can put out my own personal telephone which I picked up, being a passport holder, and put it on the porch. He, being the sole land owner, has to enable "BBB Experience" on the land, but then I can click it (and presumably get messages). My own Linden Home is of the ancient early version which probably doesn't accept the Belli mailbox, either, I should check. My venerable alt doesn't have a passport, because one wasn't required to put a stamp terminal on your land -- even Mainlanders can apply to have a stamp terminal on their land. (I don't think this has changed). So someone could make a Belli home that is like an RP General Store and a lot of people could put their personal mailboxes there to "pick up their mail" in person I guess, while sitting on cracker barrels. That is, you could ditch your Belli home, then put your mailbox in somebody's General Store (at least so far). (Unless in fact the reason there is an experience TP thing that takes you to Smuggler's Cove is because you are supposed to go THERE for your mail like in RL with a PO box but I actually don't think that's the plan.)

No one understood what I meant by "cracker barrels" and there were none for sale on the MP so I guess I will have to make one.

The one mailbox with the Canadian/French/Other "poste" on it is tintable and shrinkable, which is good because otherwise it would not fit on the porch post and the original mustard yellow might be hard on the eye. The other versions weren't all modifiable I think but I didn't check them all thoroughly.

OTHER KINDS OF MAILBOXES

BTW we already had our own mailbox at the Bellisseria Commissary -- and I hardly think that idea was copied by the BBB because surely many people had them -- there are hundreds of them available on the MP, cheap and expensive, some with very simple notecard or message-taking functions, others so elaborate that they ask how your day is, give you a drink, give you a gift, let you join a group -- and then take your complaints, if you had any by then.

This particular one was made by Fletcha Warwillow and I put both notecard giver and notecard taker scripts in it. PS Notecard "taker" was something that I urged be made in the early years of SL because notecard "giver" was so one way. I believe Pathfinder Linden was the first or among the first to have a kind of "suggestions" box and that notecard taker script was an open script, if you can't find it go to the Alchemist's and pick up the free scripts book. I can only say that any communications put in the Commissary's mailbox are kept private. And YES, I can say while disaggregating senders' names, the annoying Ragtime sheet music gift that kept playing the same song because whoever clicked it didn't turn it off -- which clashed with the player piano's selection of ragtime -- has now been put in a prim instead of being able to click, and is available for $0 : )   Suggestions for improvement always welcome! There are also free scripts for making your own system of mailbox delivery type games with servers and clients.

Nizhny Tower_313.jpg

Nizhny Tower_314.jpg

Edited by Prokofy Neva
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I got the mailbox. My friend who is not even a belli home owner went to the post office and sent me a gift through it.. .worked perfectly! I think it may be a great way to pass gifts and Christmas cards/notecards to people who are hard to catch online.

As I understand it, if you own a Bellisseria Linden Home, you can go pick up a free mail box and rez it on your Belli parcel. It even has a flag that goes up to tell you when you have mail and you can collect your mail right at home, but you still have to go to the post office to send mail to someone else.

• Like 6

On 11/17/2021 at 6:31 AM, Teresa Firelight said:

I got the mailbox. My friend who is not even a belli home owner went to the post office and sent me a gift through it.. .worked perfectly! I think it may be a great way to pass gifts and Christmas cards/notecards to people who are hard to catch online.

As I understand it, if you own a Bellisseria Linden Home, you can go pick up a free mail box and rez it on your Belli parcel. It even has a flag that goes up to tell you when you have mail and you can collect your mail right at home, but you still have to go to the post office to send mail to someone else.

And now they have expanded it so that non-belli residents can get their own mail boxes to receive mail. They made 2 post offices that serve all of SL. One is on Horizons at http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Horizons Ophelia/23/190/3001  The other is on Sansara at http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Schell/206/164/85 -- Just like the one at Belli you get your mail box, rez it, enable the BBB Experience. When you get mail the flag on the mailbox goes up. You can collect your mail right from your SL home wherever that may be in SL. But (also just like the one in Bellisseria) you still have to go to your local post office to send mail. The easiest way to get there is to right click your mailbox and select "TP To Post Office"

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Syo Emerald said:

Where would one pick up a such a mail box?

if you live in Bellisseria:  http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Slice of Life/132/104/3000

Otherwise either of these two stations:

http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Horizons Ophelia/23/190/3001

or

http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Schell/206/164/85

• Thanks 1

On 11/17/2021 at 1:23 PM, JessycaJayne said:

I use to have the Belli Bin at my classic house, would drop all my unwanted gachas in it. But stopped after the stilt houses came out and I'm on the water now. Might try the mailbox for sure! 💗

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 870 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.