Rumor - Group notices going away

Kathlen Onyx

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 878 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Group notices are .. of questionable value as implemented.

If you're online they flash on screen for a few seconds. If you have the group chat open you will see it there. If not, it's probably going to email, spam or into the void.

I've recently started getting spammy IM messages from groups electing to IM all members regardless of online status, which is most annoying. Depreciating group notices without a better replacement will result in more of this kind of thing.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Lucia Nightfire said:

If they do go away, what would you like to see as an alternative/replacement?

Hey! I just came to see if it was true. I go to a lot of live music performances and rely heavily on getting the notices when they will be performing so if it is true it will be a huge issue. Personally it works well for me when I'm online.  As far as what would I like to see replace it? Not going to debate that because I would have no clue. I guess people would go to discord would be my guess.

All that will happen is that the announcements, etc., that were previously sent out as a group notice will be sent out in group chat. Some groups are already sending out announcements in both group notices and group chat. So in a way, group notices are relatively redundant. I kinda like the differentiation between everyday group chat and notices but it's not that big of a deal.

I will believe this only when there is an official Linden announcement.

A group notice is also archived for two weeks in the Group Notice tab, and you can also send attachments, objects, notecards, and landmarks in a group notice, that is archived.  If the Notice is eliminated, how will any of the above things be done?

Thousands of businesses, from creators to clubs depend on the Notices and the 2 week archive in the Group.  What would replace this?  You can not send objects, eg gifts, in group chat. Group chat records nothing if it is blocked, or if you are not logged in, or if your viewer is not the active window.  It is sad so many employees of businesses and the general public are ignorant of the Notices archive, and use that as an excuse for not keeping up with business information and schedules.

I am speaking of Firestorm here.  The SL viewer has fewer options for blocking, but who uses that for communications?

So, just a silly rumor for now.   

Edited by Jaylinbridges
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, Jaylinbridges said:

A group notice is also archived for two weeks in the Group Notice tab, and you can also send attachments, objects, notecards, and landmarks in a group notice, that is archived.  If the Notice is eliminated, how will any of the above things be done?

Most users don't know or care to go digging for them, the current system is really not good for much.

The use case of a few groups putting meaningful information in notices is dwarfed by the groups that send a dozen notices a day because they know no one will see them of they don't. The system doesn't work like a group mail box and it really should.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:

The use case of a few groups putting meaningful information in notices is dwarfed by the groups that send a dozen notices a day because they know no one will see them of they don't. The system doesn't work like a group mail box and it really should.

Every business I know that has more than one employee or staff member has a Group Staff group, which is not public.  For clubs, it is usually also the land group.  The Notices are used every day for an active business.  The Group Notice acts like a private bulletin board for the staff.  Staff are not supposed to block the business they work for - unless they want to be fired.

Last thing I need is another bunch of Discord private groups because SL cancels the original purpose of their Groups.

Edited by Jaylinbridges
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Jaylinbridges said:

Last thing I need is another bunch of Discord private groups because SL cancels the original purpose of their Groups.

I think we're past trying to close that door. Discord has already happened and people have migrated.

Case in point. When we do a Catznip release or beta or need help chasing a bug, we get almost no engagement from group notices. People just don't see them and if we repost often enough to reach people, some users disengage with the group and most still have no idea what's going on.

I can ping our small discord and get responses in world in minutes.

I'm not saying burn group notices, I'm saying that system needs to be replaced with something better that isn't so ephemeral or needing users to manually dig though the UI to check.

A lot of functionality has been leveraged onto the group system and it's not up to the task.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Coffee Pancake said:

I'm not saying burn group notices, I'm saying that system needs to be replaced with something better that isn't so ephemeral or needing users to manually dig though the UI to check.

^^^ THIS

I have some groups that I never get notices for.  I use Firestorm and have unchecked & rechecked the box multiple times, but it doesn't make a difference.  Thus I have to try to remember to manually check ALL of my groups - I am almost at the 70 max - just to see if there were any notices that I care about.

There has to be a better way.

5 hours ago, Alazarin Mondrian said:

All that will happen is that the announcements, etc., that were previously sent out as a group notice will be sent out in group chat. Some groups are already sending out announcements in both group notices and group chat. So in a way, group notices are relatively redundant. I kinda like the differentiation between everyday group chat and notices but it's not that big of a deal.

Problem is notices sent in chat will never be seen by those who are not logged in AND have the group chat open. Hence the need for notices as they are. It's up to the individual to develop the habit of checking for notices and offlines when they log in. It's not LL's fault if they don't.

• Like 2

Groups need notices to send out attachments notecards, landmarks, pictures and copy\transfer huds and stuff.

If a group is spammy there is always the setting to turn the notification off.

Discord is no replacement, it has a different functionality... and I have no idea what is going on with discord either.. I join to do one thing and end up elsewhere, its interface thoroughly confuses me,

It is bulk IMs that bother me more than anything, and solution to them is to block the individual - which always seems a bit extreme. Ohh that and shops that use external servers to send messages and you have to hunt down some terminal somewhere to get rid of them, they are the worst. 

• Like 5

12 hours ago, Coffee Pancake said:

Maybe LL should offer group notices in Guidebook format, a graphical interface modal with no close/minimize option in the top right corner.

People will be sick to death of group notices then. 😆

• Haha 2

23 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:

No, not everyone, but it's significant enough that there is pressure on users to migrate if they want to continue participation in a meaningful way. There is a huge number of SL discord groups now.

The more they pressure me, the more I dig my heels in. I will continue to do business MY way, not theirs. 

Trying to find topics of interest to me on Discord is impossible. People think search etc in the SL viewer sucks. Discord is far, far worse. Even YIM was better than Discord.

20 hours ago, Kimmi Zehetbauer said:

Some performers are horrible on the notice --- spamming them in many many groups. And they're lucky if they get one person from them.

This is the very reason for hitting so many. Bigger audience, more likely to get that one or two.

59 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:

No, not everyone, but it's significant enough that there is pressure on users to migrate if they want to continue participation in a meaningful way. There is a huge number of SL discord groups now.

The problem with third-party alternatives is that they can be flavors of the month. First SL residents flocked to Facebook to advertise, now they are flocking to Discord, which essentially became the new Skype as well for some people. Discord won't be the app of choice forever. Just when the pressure gets too hot for most people, they'll be tugged somewhere else.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 878 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.