Proportion guide for standard /average avatar shapes

dayz Short

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4287 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

This is another great guide - thank you for it's link. =)

My real life sister actually created my avatar first...to use as a Tiny Empire subject, and when I finally got around to checking out SL I just took over the account for that avi from her....and gained the friends and society she had already aquired with their pre-formed norms for size /height/etc.. After two year and then an additional year of hiatus from SL..I am back and making my own social circles and setting my own standards of what is "norm" in appearence..or what I prefer...some of my friends may bot fit those standards and I embrace that. As long as I have the right to look how I wish...and fiddle with sliders every day if I need to...SL is good.

thank you for that great link !

PROportional META-DA !!  I can finally wear the Gypsymoon pirate outfit that never fit right before. I am 7 1/4 heads tall and two heads wide at both breat and hip ...although that top seems to make my shoulders look puffy but ok I can deak with that.  I have no watermenlon but and my fingertips reach to not quite the middle of my thigh. I need some more tweaking but omg...do you know how many expensive skins I have tyhat I don't need because they never ever looked  right?  I can be a new me every day for a week or two ...Thank you all ...now lets work on my bf/sl partner's height because he is still 9 feet tall !

Pussycat Catnap wrote:

Melita Magic wrote:

Take one from a full perm pose stand?

Ok...

So where can I get a fullperm pose stand that uses the 'T-pose' rather than the standard pose stand pose? So I can get a T-pose?

I have sent you a no mod pose stand inworld that has several poses embedded, including a T-pose.

This is a great and useful thread, thanks for starting it!  I especially found Penny's guide interesting, and I'm eager to go check my AV's proportions and tweak as necessary.

Now, I wonder: does anyone have a solution for the dreadful hand shapes?  They look like inflated rubber gloves to me.

-Ziz

Unfortunately there's no really good solutions to the flaws of the avatar mesh. It's in dire, critical need of replacement but LL has states they've no plans to do so. Some Lindens have even suggested that mesh import will solve the issue by allowing people to upload their own meshes, which shows a terrifying lack of understanding of the problems that would create.

Thjere are user made sculpted body parts (hands, feet, chests, heads) but they all come with limitations and problems. Like ugly seams where they meet the av mesh, no animation, not working with avatgar clothing....

When I contrast SL against every other 3D world - I'm repeatedly amazed at how poorly the Lindens understand 'art' and 'anatomy'...

A world of warcraft tauren is a better representation of the human body than an SL avatar... (well, maybe not... but darn if it doesn't seem that way sometimes - at least the tauren looks self-consistent like somebody sat down and thought very hard about making it look and animate well).

• 1 year later...

demondom wrote:

Besides using the golden ratio that has already been said, proportion in terms of realism and non-realism depends on your preference.

If you look in art books, comic books, and so on, proportion depends on the type of charcter being pictured.

Superman who has to look impressive will have non-realisitic proportions, same as Wonder Woman.

Personally I like to be more-than-real, so my legs are a bit longer than normal and I tend to wear more skirts and dresses to accentuate my longer legs. Visually, you cannot tell, but by using the Golden Ratio, I am off-standard.

Best things to look is to either use the Golden Ratio or to use art/drawing books for proportion standards.

Visually some of us *can* tell and it's quite annoying.   When I started in 2006, most of us were normal size using the Agent Height scale.  I watched this giant thing grow as it developed in the flood of 2007 and it's been causing eye pain ever since.   There are other reasons to remain normal size.  Penny Patton did a couple of nice essays on the subject:

http://pennycow.blogspot.com/2011/07/matter-of-scale.html

http://pennycow.blogspot.com/2011/08/matter-of-proportion.html

She's right.   There's only so much room on the grid and in any one sim.   I own a residential island.   I've had people leave because the huge houses they had to have to accomodate their giant avis wouldnt fit on my standard 32 meter lots.

Before LL destroyed the mentor programs and the orientation areas, they acted checks to the normal tendency for males to try to grow themselves larger than other males.   Many things are out of control because of this.   As stated in this thread, we're losing people as fast as they're coming in out of frustration.

Call me Alter.....

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4287 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.