AirBNB for SL?

animats

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 868 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

There are many small shops in SL which have an unused second floor. A service where people could rent those out short term without having to deal with the tenants directly might be useful and fun. Get more people their first home in SL, even if it's a garret under the eaves.

emptyupstaris.thumb.png.65655250b30d16904dcdb5b724810e5e.png

Some furniture, a light or two, maybe a hot plate, and you have your first home in SL. This is above a store at a busy GTFO port.

sgupstairs.thumb.png.196f3a51a431f03d0ab15675e8ad7d17.png

A little work, and it can look like this.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I don't know where to start with this one.

I think you don't have experience in the rentals business.

I have B&Bs with attached skyboxes all over, a concept from RL which actually took me some years to implement in SL, but I would never try implementing it above a store, like RL versions of such apartments where the family that owns the store often lives.

So I can only say, try doing this, and you will rapidly understand what happens. I won't provide any spoilers on this experience...

This is a lovely idea, but the only way I can see it working is on an established roleplay sim where everyone trusts each other to not go rezzing ancient freebies for sale in the shop, or chucking up a skybox on the roof.

(Which is really just another way of saying I can't see this working.)

• Like 1

It's not just that "chat range kills it" -- certain Domes of Doom solve this problem by just spacing their stacked up dooms at slightly beyond chat range.

There are other things, so keep going. You could start by asking the GTFO owners why they don't do this, as it is not their idea. But even if it somehow catches on perversely, soon, it will die, for other reasons which are:

i rented a upstairs room over the top of a bottle store in a town one time.  Could get free alcohol  in the bottle store by touch the fridge and boxes.  Would get random people going into the bottle store, preloading and then coming upstairs and going hey! where's the party at. Look! I brought beer and wine! Was quite funny sometimes

i never had to pay any rent.  I asked the town owner if I could and they said sure why not, if nothing else it puts another green dot on the map

another time I rented a room in a boarding house. The room was 4 x 8 meters. I had a 7 prim allowance for 10L a week, which was plenty to furnish the room with sculpt bed, dresser, lamp, media radio, rug, and a wall montage 1 prim sculpt bed with 1 prim over to rez boxes. Would sometimes get random people come in, but not as many people as living over the bottle store. Was two other people who had rooms there as well, just a place to call home I think, same as me. I quite liked living there, then one day I logged in and the place was gone 

• Like 3

I'm going to complain about the name "AirBnB". It annoys me because AirBnB's are not actually the same as B&B's, from which they've "appropriated" (stolen) their name from.

I dislike the name and term "AirBnB", as its actually just a commercial brand name for a specific California-based temporary home letting agency website that has only existed since 2008, but many people outside of Britain seem to think an "AirBnB" and a B&B are the same thing. They are most definately not.

In Britain, where the name and concept of B&B (Bed & Breakfast) originates from, you basically arrive at your pre-booked B&B at around 4.00pm, you then pay the B&B owner to rent a bedroom within their house for one night, for which you get a bed to sleep in, the use of the bathroom (usually shared, but some have an en-suite bathroom) and in the following morning, you're given a breakfast which is prepared by the B&B owner who also lives in the B&B. You do not get a key to access their house either, which can be awkward and embarrassing should you go out for the evening and return "home" late to the B&B after it's owner has locked up and gone to bed for the night.

After you've finished your morning breakfast, custom dictates that you then leave the B&B by a certain time, usually by 10:30am. You can't stay in the B&B during the daytime or live there for long durations (or permanantly) as B&B's are not hotels. They're private houses in which the owner also lives and they don't want you living in their living room, lazily stretched out on their sofa with your feet up and watching their television all day. Because that would be regarded as both inconvenient and rude behaviour.

So "AirBnB" is a very poor name choice, it's cultural name hijacking and theft to me, as what AirBnB offers is not a B&B service at all, its more akin to temporary full home letting, renting or sharing.

Edited by SarahKB7 Koskinen
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, SarahKB7 Koskinen said:

I'm going to complain about the name "AirB&B". It annoys me because AirB&B's are not B&B's.

I dislike the name and term "AirB&B", as its actually just a commercial brand name for a certain California-based temporary home sharing website that has only existed since 2008, but many people outside of Britain seem to think an "AirB&B" and a B&B are the same thing. They are most definately not.

In Britain, where the name and concept of B&B (Bed & Breakfast) originates from, you basically arrive at your pre-booked B&B at 4pm, you then pay the B&B owner to rent a bedroom within their house for one night, a bed to sleep in, the use of the bathroom (usually shared) and in the following morning, you're given a breakfast which is prepared by the B&B owner who also lives in the B&B. You do not get a key to access their house either.

After you've finished your morning breakfast, custom dictates that you then leave the B&B by a certain time, usually by 10:30am. You can't stay in the B&B during the day time or live in them for long durations (or permanantly) as B&B's are not hotels. They're private houses in which the owner also lives and they don't want you living in their living room, lazily stretched out on their sofa with your feet up and watching their television all day. Because that would be regarded as both inconvenient and rude behaviour.

So "AirB&B" is a very poor brand name choice, it seems like cultural name hijacking to me, as what AirB&B offers is not a B&B service at all, its more akin to temporary full home swapping or sharing.

Yes, indeed. While perhaps long ago, "Air B&B" was something connected in some way to the original meaning in the UK (and here, in some New England states, to quaint little houses where the owners have maybe a few extra rooms to rent out and also make you breakfast), the "Air" form of it (the Air refers to "the Internet" I guess) is completely distant from this notion.

In NYC, evil slumlords buy distressed buildings, or rent in bulk even space in fashionable buildings, then handle it as a bulk operation. So there is no real person handling it, and there is no breakfast or anything of the kind. The breakfast you would have to go out and look for at a coffee shop somewhere.

I have a relative who took a job as a cleaner at one of these Air B&B emporiums of some company that was even in another state. She had to pay for and bring her own cleaning supplies, something she had worked to a science on other jobs as it is a lot to haul. 

When she arrived, she found floor after floor of rooms that were not used at all. They didn't need cleaning, really. If there was any dusting to do it was because they were unused for months on end. There was no sign of habitation. She was part of fiction meant to throw off inspectors.

This isn't just explained by COVID at all, as it happened before COVID, became worse in the worst of the pandemic, and now that the pandemic is easing, is still the same.

And the reason, she finally figured out is that companies buy up these tracts of "B&Bs" as a kind of asset they trade or just keep in case their company ever needs to send an employee to a city, then they have this place to stay in.

Air B&B has been in litigation with NYC authorities as well because basically, when some big company is buying up scores of rooms, it's a hotel that should pay hotel tax, not some Mom & Pop operation where the parents of children who have flown the nest now want to rent out that child's bedroom to make ends meet.

Air B&B is outlawed in my huge housing complex precisely because it is so unregulated and there are so many stories of abuse. If you want to sub-let your room, you can do so, but you must then give the person's name to a housing office worker and that person has to show their ID to come sub-let your room. They discourage any type of short-term B&B type arrangements. They regularly scour the actual B&B listings to see if in fact our housing address is involved.

But since our housing complex is not the only one with this rule, the word is on the street and what people do is disguise the address. Sometimes there is one "safe house" that customers are sent to and then farmed out to the illegal addresses. Etc. 

Edited by Prokofy Neva
  • Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 868 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.