Can you Give your First Impressions of My Avatar?

BrownBoxStudio

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 883 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi, I'm trying to get an idea of the impression my avatar gives off. I'm a freelance 3D mesh creator, used it do it a years ago and am coming back to do more work in Second Life. I'm trying to figure out if I need a human avatar to do business or if I can use my current avatar without losing business. Mostly because I don't like how any male avatars I've found look. I'd make my own custom avatar that looks like my real self but that would take longer than I want right now.

Would you do business with someone with an avatar like this? I've done business with people in the past but also met with some very professional looking people and did not fit in.

9bd7d33357dd9d9f63323abed7748576.jpg

Thanks

Edited by BrownBoxStudio
  • Like 2

First impressions: cute, creative. Probably low on performance impact, which is a reasonable choice for a business person. Also I am partial because I like cats. :3

Would I want to do business or not would depend on your portfolio, this cute kitty avatar would have no impact on my decision making. Neither would a human avi.

• Like 1

In a professional relationship, business acumen is advised. If you are going to meet the creative team/individual, sure, demonstrate your creative side. If you are going to meet the business team/individual, you might want to present yourself in a more traditional way, to reassure others that you are to be taken seriously and will deliver on your commitments.

Another point to consider is, If you are a freelance 3D mesh creator, your own avatar is a great opportunity to showcase your skills and create that great first impression. Basically, how do you want people to remember you? Do you want to be remembered by your outstanding 3D mesh creation skills, or would you prefer to be remembered by your ability to communicate emotions in what you create, or another aspect? Have your avatar to reflect who you are and what you bring to the table.

• Like 3

I'd say that kitty has "swag" but doesn't appear to be terribly friendly.  Everyone is different and has their own prejudices -- unfortunately.  It may or may not hurt your business but really, I think you should be whatever you feel comfortably being :D. 

• Like 1

The only reason i created my human looking mesh avatar was when i used to do business in SL for 6 years.

My advice to you is that a human looking avatar (good looking one) is necessary because most Second Life users like to experience SL as something real. If you are going for the money and you also got the skills then it's wise (human psychology) to "play along" with the way your customers think, otherwise don't worry about it.

• Like 1

I'm not likely to judge a person by the type of avatar they choose, but more on how their avatar is put together. So whatever a person chooses, human, animal, or otherwise, if it's a well made avatar then that speaks well of the user. Also, I'm more likely to judge a person's professionalism by how they communicate and not their appearance.

I love your avatar and would be happy doing business with it, but I am nowhere near a professional type of person. I do like people to be as individual as they can be, and your avatar for sure does show some aspects of your inner personality, but if you're dealing with people who object to trouser-less biped cats then you might lose out on a little business, but I am guessing only a little bit.

For me it would boil down to what your business is. I mean, if you were a funeral director for pets (unlikely in Second Life I know) then your avatar would be absolutely ideal, but would have to wear a sombre suit I would think.  

If you look at all the Linden workforce, they take the form of all different shapes, sizes, and species of avatar. Mind you, we don't take them all that seriously (winkey smiley face).

Edited by Marigold Devin
indecision is my middle name
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Ayeleeon said:

One of my best friends ever in SL was a cat. I would not let a person's avatar keep me from doing business with them, not that I have any Lindens to spend doing business with anyone.

One of my all time favourite low-prim furniture manufacturers was (is) a Neko. They made furniture for mainly human avatars, just a section on one floor of their store for Nekos (which were also perfectly fine for human avatars to use too if they were so inclined).  I didn't even register in my brain that her avatar was anything other than unique. Desirable products or services would draw me to someone in the first place, not how they looked, as an avatar or as a human being in real life. 

Edited by Marigold Devin
I am struggling with my command of the English language again.

Thanks for your thoughts everyone! I see I can get for sure get away with using my current avatar but there still may be some benefit to having a human avatar I could use at some point. Right now I'm focusing on what some of you said about a portfolio and how anyone will see my work. Gotta make some new things since it's been a while.

Anyways, I appreciate the help!

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Tarina Sewell said:

would you wear a furry costume to a job interview in rl? I personally would not be over impressed. The face looks angry.  Just my opinion 

That's a very good thought, though I'm not sure I'd want to wear any of the human avatars I've tested to a job interview either. I guess thats why Im trying to see if I can get away with this avatar for the immediate future. Then improve. 

The angry face though I will have to keep in mind. Cause I do see it now that everyone's pointed it out. Not something I can adjust on this avatar but if I make a new avatar I'll have to make sure the expression is nice.

Edit: I should specify I'm talking about male human avatars when referring to not liking the ones I've tested.

Edited by BrownBoxStudio

On 11/11/2021 at 4:17 AM, BrownBoxStudio said:

Would you do business with someone with an avatar like this? I've done business with people in the past but also met with some very professional looking people and did not fit in.

9bd7d33357dd9d9f63323abed7748576.jpg

Thanks

It would depend on the kind of business, I suppose. If I was hiring you to do something creative within SL, scripting, mesh-making or whatever, then sure.

But if you're somehow representing a RL corporation within SL then I would think that you probably need something a bit more professional.  A cat is fine, but this particular cat with the ***-bag and that grouchy expression on his face looks more like a troublemaker than a business professional.  If you can change its facial expression and its outfit, then do that, otherwise I would look for something else. 

I don’t care what your avi looks like as long as your product looks good. If you’re selling avatars, I’ll have way more respect for you if you’re wearing your own avatar products since it tells people you believe in and enjoy your own product. 

Also, that’s a cute cat avi and yes I would do business with a cat. I’ve done business with humans, dinos, tea cups, furries, so why not a cat 😂

Edited by Chris Nova

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 883 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.