Looking for advice on graphics card (and cpu) for new PC

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 860 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I'm all set to buy a new desktop PC, but hesitating on decisions around the graphics card and CPU. Advice on whether I'm just wasting money on specifications (or the wrong specifications) would be appreciated.

I was about to forge ahead with:

• Intel Core i5 Six  i5-11600KF (3.9 GHz, 12 MB Cache)
  • 12GB NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 3060 
  • 16gb RAM (2x8gb)

No real rhyme or reason to my choices, other than "Ooh I think 12gb sounds good for graphics! It's a higher number". I'm sure it's good, but is it also pointless?

I guess the question is - is that overkill for running SL? Should I go with the GTX series instead? How important is GPU memory - is higher Gb on the GPU beneficial?

Would more multi-cores and/or a higher CPU GHz be better place to put my money? An i7 maybe?

Notes about me: I'm NOT (currently) a gamer, and for work I MAINLY use my computer for graphic design and publishing. Hobby wise I also use it for some music production just using a DAW and virtual instruments. There is however a possibility I may be doing some video editing. A multi-monitor set-up might be something I'll want for the future.

Any advice would be welcome.

For the cheapest option on your list, RAM, you plan to buy pretty few: try 32 or 64 GB or even more 

I'd put your focus on programs and buy depending on their needs... and probably not the i5. The Alder Lake generation was just released, with its fast DDR5 RAM or good, old Ryzens, 3700x / 5600(x) / 5800 or even higher.   

3060 ... *shrugs* does its job. Buying any GPU these days sucks anyway... unless you get a deal.

A multi-monitor set-up might be something I'll want for the future.

So what monitor do you got right now?

58 minutes ago, Lillith Hapmouche said:

For the cheapest option on your list, RAM, you plan to buy pretty few: try 32 or 64 GB or even more 

I'd put your focus on programs and buy depending on their needs... and probably not the i5. The Alder Lake generation was just released, with its fast DDR5 RAM or good, old Ryzens, 3700x / 5600(x) / 5800 or even higher.   

3060 ... *shrugs* does its job. Buying any GPU these days sucks anyway... unless you get a deal.

So what monitor do you got right now?

Nah, his ram is fine at 16 gigs (if he gets an i7, i9, or AMD Ryzen 7/9). But it never hurts to increase ram. Youre right about the i5 tho...it will probably throttle the 3060.

I would disagree with Jenna. The brand new 12th gen Intel CPU's have much better performance than Ryzen right now (I do have a 5900x right now and it is incredible!). However they are mostly sold out right now and you may have to wait a bit before they become available in both pre-built computers and off the shelf. Look at the tech channels on youtube such as Linus Tech Tips, Jayz2cents and Gamers Nexus for reviews and benchmark results. Ryzen 6000 series cpus will be available in early 2022 and lets see if they leapfrog over Intel causing a performance war between the two companies which will benefit the consumer greatly. 

Stay away from 11th gen Intel as they have been called by Gamers Nexus as "An incredible waste of sand (silicon)". They were designed to go on Intel's 10nm process but that was not ready and so they had to be squeezed into their 14nm process causing performance problems and core reductions. In some cases 10th gen cpus outperformed 11th gen. 

However... Intel will probably slash prices on 11th gen to get rid of existing stock now that 12th gen has been released and 11th gen may become favorable because of price. There are shortages right now so that the favorable price zone will have a short time frame.

Ryzen 5000 cpus do still hold an advantage in gaming on Linux over 12th gen intel most likely because Intel's optimized scheduler is not in the current kernel. Maybe we will see that in kernel 5.16 or 5.17.  But if you use Windows that is a "who cares" and not important to you.

Edited by MarissaOrloff

• 4 weeks later...

ryzen 7 3700x does  very good blows away all my intel machines. Even with a  gtx 1080. People forget  SL really has no use for high texture memory. 512 1024 a second is plenty.  This isn't a game that preloads into texture buffer for a set return. It is always changing,  higher buffer not always good.  So 2048 can really hurt you.  I hope in  the future  the team tackle this problem till then.  It is up to the CPU And system memory  to clear the bus.

Edited by Drakeo

On 11/8/2021 at 1:47 PM, wesleytron said:

I'm all set to buy a new desktop PC, but hesitating on decisions around the graphics card and CPU. Advice on whether I'm just wasting money on specifications (or the wrong specifications) would be appreciated.

• 16gb RAM (2x8gb)

No real rhyme or reason to my choices, other than "Ooh I think 12gb sounds good for graphics! It's a higher number". I'm sure it's good, but is it also pointless?

I guess the question is - is that overkill for running SL? Should I go with the GTX series instead? How important is GPU memory - is higher Gb on the GPU beneficial?

Would more multi-cores and/or a higher CPU GHz be better place to put my money? An i7 maybe?

Notes about me: I'm NOT (currently) a gamer, and for work I MAINLY use my computer for graphic design and publishing. Hobby wise I also use it for some music production just using a DAW and virtual instruments. There is however a possibility I may be doing some video editing. A multi-monitor set-up might be something I'll want for the future.

Stay away from any ?60 GPUs. For gaming . In SL it will run fine. The rtx60 NVIDIA GPUs are  good for texture memory.. I love the rtx 3060.  But  the  rtx80 GPUs have much faster bus speeds. Your I5 is a nice CPU.  You will never use more than 1024  texture memory. Not your system.  It is the   application.  But wait, there is a fork of the viewer for mesh optimized. This has nothing to do with mesh in world. Seems  newer GPUs  have this  like your rtx 3060. I have been keeping up with this in  the bitbucket building it.  I have a fork of it been testing it.  Mesh optimized is on GPU it is how we send triangles to the GPU so if we do some work before it gets to the new mesh optimized GPU it makes them supper fast takes the  work off the CPU and utilizes the mesh optimized buffer. . https://bitbucket.org/lindenlab/viewer/src/DRTVWR-542-meshopt/

Here is the guy that stared it. https://github.com/zeux/meshoptimizer

On 11/8/2021 at 1:47 PM, wesleytron said:

• 16gb RAM (2x8gb)

I have a firestorm build that will use your avx-512  that your CPU uses. Look me up.  Can build most viewers plus my own with the avx-512 calls.

Edited by Drakeo

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 860 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.