The Lindens Are Giving Search a Facelift, But Not Fixing It

Prokofy Neva

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 858 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

13 hours ago, Phil Deakins said:

I've only ascribed things to you that you wrote in this thread. And for someone who "didn't follow it to that extent", you sure have some pretty fixed (and wrong) views about it.

You've been talking about my models - the ones that were in my store. Now you've changed to refer to some that were in your mall. I've no idea about those. I've only been talking about my models, that were there for customers.

You say that people test adult furniture themselves and that they don't need models for it. So a person arrives in the store and wants to know what the animations are like. How does s/he go about that on his/her own? You're not really thinking things through.

In my store, I had 3 sex beds that were easily accessible, but not in view from the main store. You know that, because you took a pic of yourself sitting on one. One bed had a male and female model, another had just a female, and the 3rd had no models. It was a nice discreet way for people to see or try the animations whether they were on their own or not.

It doesn't matter that people can test adult furniture themselves. It was good to have them there as an alternative method of seeing what the animations were like, and they weren't counting for traffic. I hope it's getting through to you now.

Of course, if I'd known that you would disapprove of those models many years later, I would never have put them there. That goes without saying :D

ETA: There is no point in you continuing to discuss my models. They didn't count for traffic, so you have nothing against them. That should be the end of the part of our discussion that concerns them.

It's fun to look at the old forums, for example here or here: 

Sorry folks. I was asleep - just got up :)

Traffic bots are not against the ToS. I have that in writing. LL doesn't do anything about traffic bot ARs unless the bots are interfering with other people; e.g. filling the sim so that other land owners and their guests can't get in, or causing huge lag. Mine have been ARed a number of times to no avail.

The group of avs that the OP saw might not have been traffic bots at all. They may have been real people. Two days ago, it rained avs in one particular spot in my store - the small freebies part. 10 - 12 of them arrived in the space of 10 - 20 seconds. It was the day that Honeybear mentioned it in her freebies blog. The groups could have been something similar.

I've said plenty of times recently that, imo, LL should ban traffic bots and camping, but I've changed my mind. I won't bore you with my reasons unless asked to. What LL should do is do away with traffic rankings.

etc

4 hours ago, Prokofy Neva said:

It's fun to look at the old forums, for example here or here: 

The first link you posted goes to this very page. The second link works though, but I don't know what you are getting at. Yes, I used to use traffic bots when they were legal. I said so in this thread. It was never a secret. I wrote the bees knees of systems to run them too - a hybrid of LSL and C#. It was a real joy to watch it working, but I won't go into details as they are all still there in those archives.

Perhaps you're thinking that my models that we've been discussing here were my traffic bots that I referred to in the archived post you quoted. But no. My traffic bots were pure traffic bots, and couldn't be mistaken for anything else. When I used models, they were registered as scripted agents and had no affect on traffic. If that weren't true, they couldn't have survived. Not with my reputation for traffic bots at that time. Sorry if that's disappointing.

As I said, there's no point in continuing the discussion about my models, because they were always legal, so the only thing you can have against them is just imagination.

Edited by Phil Deakins

On 11/11/2021 at 6:36 AM, Prokofy Neva said:

But let's click the radio button to "rentals" -- away from its default -- let's select "512-1024" and $400-$500" and use the term "Ravenglass Rentals" and see what we get. And we get...WHOOPS, because it doesn't work. Even though there are such lots which you can find even on the broken search/places.

It's failing on the price because "rental price" isn't an attribute that land has in the system. Yes, it should ignore price on a search for rentals, but complaining about it being "broken" without giving any specifics isn't going to help anyone do anything about it.

ETA

None of your properties are returning rental prices, but apparently there IS a way of including rent in the searchable attributes because I see other lots displaying it.

Edited by Theresa Tennyson

37 minutes ago, Theresa Tennyson said:

It's failing on the price because "rental price" isn't an attribute that land has in the system. Yes, it should ignore price on a search for rentals, but complaining about it being "broken" without giving any specifics isn't going to help anyone do anything about it.

ETA

None of your properties are returning rental prices, but apparently there IS a way of including rent in the searchable attributes because I see other lots displaying it.

No, price IS indeed an attribute of SEARCH in the "Land & Rentals" categories -- which is what I am talking about -- on the SL Viewer (I don't know what is on Firestorm, I assume the same.)

I never said it was on the "about land" menu.

I don't expect Land & Rentals to return rental prices on my properties -- that's absurd, as you plug in the rental price on the search interface, not about land as I discussed.

Price shows in about land descriptions. 

In fact my properties DO show up in Land & Rentals merely by having the CATEGORY (not any price) "rental" toggled on the land menu. So in theory someone could type my company name and a specific price range into the INTERFACE on search -- which is the topic under discussion.

That isn't a particularly helpful search and I find few people use it. It relies on the user constantly fixing every parcel into a category on every individual "about land" menu, and not every landlord or tenant remembers to do that, and it's an unnecessary and unjustifiable chore. You can have a rentals property with parcels that might be titled "landing" or "prims" or "dock" which all end up as "rentals" unless you individually toggle them to "parks" or "other".  And since the overwhelming majority of customers use "everything," "search/places" and "classifieds" to find rentals -- as distinct to sales, to which the Land & Rentals search interface defaults -- it's not worth bothering with.

I also said Search/Places and Search/Names are broken -- they are -- because they do not return clean results on exact name/title searches as they did for years until late 2020.

I didn't say "Land & Rentals" was "broken" -- I said it was clunky and not useful for finding things because of its clumsy interface.

Some even if people are not computer experts, they acquire knowledge by going inworld and using the interfaces very frequently.

Edited by Prokofy Neva

1 hour ago, Theresa Tennyson said:

ETA

Got it. It looks like "Rental price" is only an attribute for private region lots, so your lots on Mainland will never show up in a search for rentals for a certain price. And that's the name of that tune.

17 minutes ago, Theresa Tennyson said:

Got it. It looks like "Rental price" is only an attribute for private region lots, so your lots on Mainland will never show up in a search for rentals for a certain price. And that's the name of that tune.

And since that is expected behavior, it's not considered broken and doesn't need fixing won't be "fixed".

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Prokofy Neva said:

I've said plenty of times recently that, imo, LL should ban traffic bots and camping, but I've changed my mind. I won't bore you with my reasons unless asked to. What LL should do is do away with traffic rankings.

Traffic as a single metric needs to go away, but it needs to be replaced with a better system.

Knowing where active people are is important, how avatars are determined count as active needs to be overhauled from simple "time spent on parcel"

Activity needs to include measures for participation and engagement, both with the location and other avatars. Making a bot jump though all the hoops will be entirely possible, but the system needs to make such attempts socially counter productive.

EG say we're tracking movement, avatars in a group away from the landing point, local chatter, interaction with rezzed objects and IM traffic. A bot that ticks all these boxes would absolutely be possible, but it would be bad for real people to be around and so, self defeating.

Toss in the ability for a location to mark a number of objects as "interaction points", eg a dance ball in a club.

This can be bolstered by giving avatars a general score independent of their location and use that when calculating a avatars contribution to a locations score. Avatars that travel around, have active friend lists, update their profile, change outfits, make purchases, talk to people, don't repeat themselves, participate in groups, edit things and so on. Make it complex enough that simulating it becomes more hassle than just paying people to hang out.

I would even go as far as to say that an avatar that never leaves a location (or shows other inhuman signs) should count against a score.

You're going to hate this analogy, but something like an avatar social credit score that's used as a factor when calculating how much value that avatar actions brings to a location.

All this data should obviously be hidden from other users and landowners and then distilled down to a simple location based traffic score.

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:

Traffic as a single metric needs to go away, but it needs to be replaced with a better system.

Knowing where active people are is important, how avatars are determined count as active needs to be overhauled from simple "time spent on parcel"

Activity needs to include measures for participation and engagement, both with the location and other avatars. Making a bot jump though all the hoops will be entirely possible, but the system needs to make such attempts socially counter productive.

EG say we're tracking movement, avatars in a group away from the landing point, local chatter, interaction with rezzed objects and IM traffic. A bot that ticks all these boxes would absolutely be possible, but it would be bad for real people to be around and so, self defeating.

Toss in the ability for a location to mark a number of objects as "interaction points", eg a dance ball in a club.

This can be bolstered by giving avatars a general score independent of their location and use that when calculating a avatars contribution to a locations score. Avatars that travel around, have active friend lists, update their profile, change outfits, make purchases, talk to people, don't repeat themselves, participate in groups, edit things and so on. Make it complex enough that simulating it becomes more hassle than just paying people to hang out.

I would even go as far as to say that an avatar that never leaves a location (or shows other inhuman signs) should count against a score.

You're going to hate this analogy, but something like an avatar social credit score that's used as a factor when calculating how much value that avatar actions brings to a location.

All this data should obviously be hidden from other users and landowners and then distilled down to a simple location based traffic score.

We had a social credit score in the past, and the system didn't work. Why bring it back again? 

22 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:

If you quote people, you have to attribute the quote accurately. As you can see from the above post, that quote is not mine; it's Phil's, from an old forums post, which I quoted, regarding traffic bots.

The system of traffic doesn't mean much to me personally, and I don't assess either my company's value to the public or the value of any other company by its traffic, which is, was, and always has been gamed. 

Banning traffic bots seems like a good thing; so does banning avatars that are "models" and may or may not be registered as scripted agents, but who still serve the function of increasing traffic. But it's a gray area, because merchants use their alts to test products; they sometimes go on them to build to escape IMs; they may have bots that are deployed to answer rote questions or take messages or give groups or whatever. So the Lindens can do what they like on this -- it doesn't matter to me. I think many people worry about traffic and work at gaming the system or even using legitimate methods because they want to show up in search -- search, which is broken. And I can't blame them even though like many shoppers or explorers, I routinely ignore the top returns on searches as I figure their traffic is meaningless and maybe a marker for scamming more than anything.

The idea of a system that attributes value to an avatar in some ways is offensive, because there isn't a universal value system of avatars, who are people, after all. What, big spenders get a higher weight? People with more friends get a higher weight? Ridiculous!

I think the idea of an avatar who "never leaves" isn't necessarily based on a factual understanding of what is required in SL. I know that if every I want to develop a new area, or spruce up an area that isn't getting rented, there is no substitute for standing on that property night and day for some days in a row, building, fixing up problems, trouble shooting, making oneself available to tenants etc. So why would I be penalized for that?

When we had a rating system it was gamed -- people would hold parties and pos-rate each other to up their scores, praising someone for building skills when they couldn't put two prims together. Neg-rating was done to enemies about their building, for example, even if their building was good. So I could hardly want to base a traffic system on that.

Again,. my comments about search are not about traffic gimmicks, about SEO, about "getting on touch". It's about search being functional to find things by their exact names.

31 minutes ago, Prokofy Neva said:

If you quote people, you have to attribute the quote accurately. As you can see from the above post, that quote is not mine; it's Phil's, from an old forums post, which I quoted, regarding traffic bots.

fh1iGzt.png

Maybe use the quote button when quoting text from someone else :P

like this

The idea of a system that attributes value to an avatar in some ways is offensive, because there isn't a universal value system of avatars, who are people, after all. What, big spenders get a higher weight? People with more friends get a higher weight? Ridiculous!

It depends on what a traffic system is trying to measure.

Avatars who are more engaged with SL's mechanics in general are probably worth more to any location looking to build a more engaging location. It shouldn't be based on any single metric like 'big spenders' or 'chatterboxes'.

Just that an avatar that does things and interacts with people and systems should lend a more weight to a traffic score than someone who only logs into that one location and stands in silence for hours on end.

I'm also not saying this score should be known or constant, a rolling average of the last few sessions should be more than enough.

I think the idea of an avatar who "never leaves" isn't necessarily based on a factual understanding of what is required in SL. I know that if every I want to develop a new area, or spruce up an area that isn't getting rented, there is no substitute for standing on that property night and day for some days in a row, building, fixing up problems, trouble shooting, making oneself available to tenants etc. So why would I be penalized for that?

You wouldn't be. That's the idea.

You're correct that your avatar wouldn't gain any points for the "roaming around the grid" part or such a metric, but you would be active. Rezzing things, talking to people locally or in IM, moving stuff about would all be very highly scored by such a system.

So after a busy day working on a parcel, if you then decided to go visit a club, your time would be worth more to the clubs traffic score than an avatar that did literally nothing all day.

There are many ways to engage with SL.

When we had a rating system it was gamed -- people would hold parties and pos-rate each other to up their scores, praising someone for building skills when they couldn't put two prims together. Neg-rating was done to enemies about their building, for example, even if their building was good. So I could hardly want to base a traffic system on that.

Rating were also tied to stipends, so there was a direct finical motivation to have a party and get your alts & friends a bit more money to spend.

The parties were actually pretty fun and I still attended & made friends long after maxing out any personal kick backs. It ended up being an excuse to have a party and once the system was retired that initial dumb motivation went away, the parties kinda dried up as people needed to come up with a reason to get together.

We're going to game everything , that much is pretty much a given.

The trick is make the act of trying to game a system into something with a wider social benefit.

This is why those stupid fishing games have a dedicated following.

1 hour ago, Prokofy Neva said:

Banning traffic bots seems like a good thing; so does banning avatars that are "models" and may or may not be registered as scripted agents, but who still serve the function of increasing traffic.

You think that avatars that are registered as scripted agents still increase traffic score? The only, repeat ONLY, reason to have an avatar registered as a scripted agent is to stop it from counting for traffic. That's the only reason for the scripted agent status.

Given that scripted agents do not  add to a parcel's traffic score, do you still think it would be a good thing to ban models?

Don't answer that. It doesn't matter what you think.

Edited by Phil Deakins

1 hour ago, Sammy Huntsman said:

We had a social credit score in the past, and the system didn't work. Why bring it back again?

You mean the avatar ratings system for +/- "behavior", +/- "appearance" and +/- "building" where you would pay LL L$100 to increase or decrease someone else's stats? The well-to-do easily influenced that, making it unfair and a target for abuse.

39 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:

You're correct that your avatar wouldn't gain any points for the "roaming around the grid" part or such a metric, but you would be active. Rezzing things, talking to people locally or in IM, moving stuff about would all be very highly scored by such a system.

I agree it would be nice if an "activity" metric could be used, but it is hard to gauge as commerce varies from one location to another and the common "activity" of users in one location might not be equivalent to the common "activity" of users in another location.

Why I proposed that "I am looking for..." search and match method, which isn't perfect either. 😕

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Profaitchikenz Haiku said:

Given that a lot of people searching for places are looking for intraction as in RP or chat, why not measure the amount of characters typed into local chat by avatars (not scripted objects) as a guide to highy-intereactive, moderately-interactive/Bots and IMs only

That ought to move those AFK sex places way down where they belong.

3 hours ago, Coffee Pancake said:

fh1iGzt.png

Maybe use the quote button when quoting text from someone else :P

It depends on what a traffic system is trying to measure.

Avatars who are more engaged with SL's mechanics in general are probably worth more to any location looking to build a more engaging location. It shouldn't be based on any single metric like 'big spenders' or 'chatterboxes'.

Just that an avatar that does things and interacts with people and systems should lend a more weight to a traffic score than someone who only logs into that one location and stands in silence for hours on end.

I'm also not saying this score should be known or constant, a rolling average of the last few sessions should be more than enough.

You wouldn't be. That's the idea.

So after a busy day working on a parcel, if you then decided to go visit a club, your time would be worth more to the clubs traffic score than an avatar that did literally nothing all day.

There are many ways to engage with SL.

Rating were also tied to stipends, so there was a direct finical motivation to have a party and get your alts & friends a bit more money to spend.

The parties were actually pretty fun and I still attended & made friends long after maxing out any personal kick backs. It ended up being an excuse to have a party and once the system was retired that initial dumb motivation went away, the parties kinda dried up as people needed to come up with a reason to get together.

The trick is make the act of trying to game a system into something with a wider social benefit.

This is why those stupid fishing games have a dedicated following.

No, not "we're all" because there are some of us who don't game the system.

I remember once talking with Philip Linden about the whole "leader board" nonsense (the richest avatars) and the "dwell" gaming and reputational point gaming, and I mentioned to him that I didn't doubt that if people's picks were used to make leader boards, my company would show up  high in the rankings because many people made little stories on their profiles while renting my land. Not using them as "picks" but as story boards, as we see is common. And I noticed there were a lot of people who, even if they weren't on my land anymore, would keep their story boards as picks with my land because it had "first kiss" or "my best friend" or "my kitties" or "my rules" etc. 

Philip was all excited at this at first because it seemed so "organic" and "ungameable" and he was looking at the results and even blogged about how what showed up in search using picks (this was long ago) was very different than what showed on the heavily gamed dwell and traffic gimmick lots. Hamlet even wrote a post about this "folksonomy," etc.

But of course that didn't last long, because merchants began paying people for keeping a store in their picks. I never used that practice but I put another merchant of scripted items in my picks to have a chance in her weekly lottery. So that "folksonomy" didn't last long and itself got gamed. 

Philip also confessed to me that the telehubs had the highest amount of commerce on them -- and of course, that was the problem for his beta tester early adapter friends -- oldbies with stores in the hinterlands. They resented the extra traffic that accrued to newer merchants who owned or rented at  telehub malls because avatars had to go through them before p2p teleporting, which was Philip following Jane Jacobs' urban theories which in fact were good sense.

Far from being the avatar traps the oldbies always claimed based on the Fuji experience, a lot of the telehubs, especially the later ones sent in actual forests surrounded by trees, were pleasant and a place where you actually ran into people and enjoyed meeting people. As I once demonstrated to Robin Linden, and without even rehearsing this, ran into all kinds of people as we went from hub to hub. The Lindens hated the telehubs because they had various socialist theories then more than now, and resented commerce, the California "no business but my business" ideology -- and also felt guilty that they had p2p god powers that we mortals didn't have. 

There isn't any social benefit from fishing games to the society at large. Some fishing games have loyal followings even when they are merely chat sessions and without any real prizes of value but just silly things. People go to fishing games because they don't have any entry into the economy -- there aren't jobs except for the highly skilled, including sex work, which is a skill unto itself as well. Especially now that gatcha re-sales have taken such a blow since the August policy. The workarounds have not recovered that.

Edited by Prokofy Neva

12 hours ago, Theresa Tennyson said:

Again, you either wilfully disregard the facts here or don't get. All anyone does on search of land & rentals is plug in the price and they find at least some of my rentals or anybody's at that price, paging downward. Curiously, the 30L search/places ad doesn't seem to "show up" properly in the Land & Rentals category. But again, it's a clunky interface and I find that people don't use it. If they use if for island "purchases" which are really rentals, that's great but I don't have evidence of that, either. 

There is little use to traffic scores except to look at the parcels of forums regulars inworld and see how low their traffic is, not commensurate with their position and scores on the forums.

Edited by Prokofy Neva

13 hours ago, Coffee Pancake said:

That's an interesting choice of words. The idea of gaming a system seems to imply doing something wrong. But is it? Is it wrong to gain an advantage in a system by doing things that are entirely within the system's rules?

Sorry. That's a side question, and nothing to do with the thread's topic. It's just something that sprang to mind when I read that sentence.

13 hours ago, Prokofy Neva said:

Again, you either wilfully disregard the facts here or don't get. All anyone does on search of land & rentals is plug in the price and they find at least some of my rentals or anybody's at that price, paging downward.

Go ahead. Try it. Acquire knowledge by going inworld and using the interfaces.

8 hours ago, Phil Deakins said:

That's an interesting choice of words. The idea of gaming a system seems to imply doing something wrong. But is it? Is it wrong to gain an advantage in a system by doing things that are entirely within the system's rules?

That's kinda my position when it comes to gaming things, if the net result is platform positive behavior and interactions .. It's probably a game we should build upon rather than tutting and wringing our hands.

Anticipate gaming of systems, engineer systems with the expectation of them being gamed, and reward diminishing returns.

Ratings parties .. were actually parties, and a lot of fun especially for newer people. Most of the people I remember at them were already maxed out in terms of rewards, but from a social perspective it gave everyone cause to celebrate a newbie by throwing them an awesome party. Which is exactly what a new user needs.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Phil Deakins said:

The idea of gaming a system seems to imply doing something wrong. But is it? Is it wrong to gain an advantage in a system by doing things that are entirely within the system's rules?

The meaning I've always understood is it's doing something just (marginally) inside the boundaries of the rules but at the same time breaching the principles that the rules are supposed to be upholding. But that's from industry where there's significant profits to be made. I'm not sure what it's supposed to mean in this context here.

Edited by Profaitchikenz Haiku

On 11/21/2021 at 12:37 AM, Prokofy Neva said:

There is little use to traffic scores except to look at the parcels of forums regulars inworld and see how low their traffic is

Actually, there is a huge use of traffic scores. Firestorm is the most widely used viewer and the legacy search is the default. The legacy search ranks on traffic, as you know.

The viewer I use (Alchemy) only uses the legacy search. It does have tab for the web search but I can't get it to open.

As far as I can tell, the LL viewer doesn't use the legacy search at all, but it's a minority viewer, and I don't know about other viewers, but, with Firestorm dominating viewer usage, traffic scores are hugely useful.

Edited by Phil Deakins
  • Haha 1

Traffic is determined by LL not FS. (see next post as well)

About_Land.png

Traffic is a numerical metric calculated for every parcel of land inworld. This score can be summarized as the cumulative minutes spent on the parcel by all visitors to the parcel within the previous day. (The value shown in About Land is based on data gathered from midnight to 11:59 PM, Pacific Time.) It is calculated by taking the total seconds spent on the parcel, dividing by 60, and rounding to the nearest whole minute. For example, if your parcel has a cumulative seconds total of 121s over the course of a day, the traffic score is 2.

Traffic has a mild influence on the relevance of search results. It's one of many factors included in the search logic.

To see the traffic score for a parcel, right-click on the ground in the parcel and choose About Land; or choose World > Place Profile > About Land. The General tab shows the traffic score for each parcel.

https://community.secondlife.com/knowledgebase/english/guidelines-for-creating-search-listings-r235/Sectihttps://community.secondlife.com/knowledgebase/english/guidelines-for-creating-search-listings-r235/Section_.5.6#Section__5_6on_.5.6#Section__

Edited by Silent Mistwalker

Since the forum software wants to be so damn glitchy today I'm having to do this in 2 posts since it won't revert back to normal text and insisted everything had to have a white background when I copy pasted from LL's own site. 😟

• Traffic: The number of avatar-minutes present on the parcel over the last measurement interval. Thus one avatar present for one hour = 60 traffic. The normal measurement interval is over the previous 24 hours, and is updated 2 times a day. (See Land Traffic For more information.)

https://wiki.firestormviewer.org/fs_about_land_general_tab?redirect=1

Edited by Silent Mistwalker

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 858 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.