Do not show: Demo Items... Why?

CaithLynnSayes

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 855 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Can someone explain to me (preferably @Linden Lab) What the meaning behind the filter option on Marketplace is to exclude demo items?

I don't really understand the logic behind it. Why would I not want to see demo items as the vast majority of creators/sellers/resellers on MP urge the user to try a demo first, and even better, why is this filter not reversible? Why can't I search for only demo items? Searching for only demo items would make it a lot more easier to actually look for a demo.

Please, i'm curious... 

Many people myself included were fed up of seeing endless demos come up even though we were specifically excluding them from search by adding NOT demo to search when trying to view items priced L$0-10. The do not show demo check box only excludes demos where the creator has correctly linked the demo item to the main item

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It's bad enough to have umpteen unnecessary items showing up with each individual texture. Chuck in all the demos too and the results of a search just becomes a morass of unwanted spam. At least, by using the "exclude demos" option, we can make a bit of sense of the results - not a lot more, admittedly, because lots of demos will still appear.

Sure, try the demo first. Decent creators/merchants provide a link to the demo in the main listing. That's good enough, isn't it?

One day. maybe search will return what we ask for.

One day....

• Like 5

23 hours ago, CaithLynnSayes said:

Can someone explain to me (preferably @Linden Lab) What the meaning behind the filter option on Marketplace is to exclude demo items?

I don't really understand the logic behind it. Why would I not want to see demo items as the vast majority of creators/sellers/resellers on MP urge the user to try a demo first, and even better, why is this filter not reversible? Why can't I search for only demo items? Searching for only demo items would make it a lot more easier to actually look for a demo.

Please, i'm curious... 

Why would you want to look for a demo as a top level search instead of a demo of something that you search for? And if you do a search with demos turned off you can still access the demo of the thing you find by clicking the demo link that most items have.

Also, in addition to increasing clutter in search, including demos can make it very difficult to find full-use freebies.

• Like 6

Same reason I don't want to see limited quantities items. There is a flood of demos and gacha listings with every search without using those filters.

If I find something interesting, THEN I can click on it and see if there is a demo.

Sadly, many things don't even have demos so searching ONLY demos will cause you to miss a lot of stuff, IMO.

One thought of solace is that gachas hopefully will become more and more rare to encounter so there may be a day when I no longer have to filter limited quantities listings.

• Like 2

I just hope one day LL will allow a single product listing to have 'variants' that deliver different items.

Mesh hair is the worst for this, as creators like to sell like 12 color variations per hair and make a product listing for each, making it impossible to shop hair styles on the MP.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 1 month later...

A lot of times I'm looking for gifts or things or free things. Or gacha items that might be under 10L and if I don't exclude demo items then I'm going to get tons of demos to have to look through.  Also lots of people post demos in black and white so if you want to see what something really looks like filtering out demos makes it easier to look at details etc.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 855 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.