Easiest head to use

kali Wylder

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 655 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I don't quite get the concept. 'Easy'? Either you know how to operate something, or you don't. People keep asking me whether XYZ isn't 'difficult'. Well, no, not if I know how to do it. Installing an elevator in a skyscraper might be difficult, as I haven't got a clue where I'd even begin. 

I'd also say that it's a pretty worthless measurement. You shouldn't pick your head based on how easy the HUD is to use. You should select your head based on your aesthetic preferences for your avatar - 95% of the time you're in SL, your head HUD shouldn't even be attached ('cause pointless script usage - and texture usage, though that's only on your own end). 

I'd argue that the ones that are easiest to learn, are the ones which get the most coverage in vlogs. Most heads (or at least the brand/line) will have tutorials on YouTube that you can watch. Much better to spend 15 minutes getting acquainted with a HUD with a lot of options, than to pick any old head on the merit of not requiring any long setup time (which is pretty insignificant anyway since you'll likely spend a whole lot more time fiddling with your shape).

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Ajay McDowwll said:

I know this is a few hours behind, but if you're talking about the facial animations, I just make sure none of the expressions or moods are highlighted in the animations hud.  If they're highlighted like the top left icon in this screenshot here, then click it so the background is dark like the others. 

10 hours ago, Rowan Amore said:

Always hated that she had them ALL turned on when you unpack and wear for the first time.  Why?

Thank You!  yes! They were all on and the head kept making faces at me while I was trying to modify the shape and it was driving me crazy!  I gave up and went to bed. Now, maybe I can see if this could be the head I want.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Nalates Urriah said:

The easiest head is the Classic Avatar head. But it is also the most limited. Pure BOM HUDless heads are also simple and limited, being most similar to the Classic head in options. Most mesh add-on heads are about options. I still prefer heads with the ability to accept Applier textures and to set transparency, glow, shiny, and etc. There are many prim attributes that are not available on an avatar. If you want simple you give up some options. Your choice. You won't lose ALL THAT much. But, for designers... simple versus providing options to get sales... you are swimming upstream....

I spent lots of time trying to find a mesh head that reproduced my Classic head appearance. I got close. But it was a pain. I learned about using camera controls Ctrl-8, 9, and 0 after going through the process. Trying to get a perfect reproduction got tedious. So, my look changed after years. Close was good enough. I got used to it.

Like you, I worked really hard on my first mesh head to get it to look like my original system self.  And like you I got close.  Over the years close became good enough.

1 hour ago, Orwar said:

I don't quite get the concept. 'Easy'? Either you know how to operate something, or you don't. People keep asking me whether XYZ isn't 'difficult'. Well, no, not if I know how to do it. Installing an elevator in a skyscraper might be difficult, as I haven't got a clue where I'd even begin. 

I'd also say that it's a pretty worthless measurement. You shouldn't pick your head based on how easy the HUD is to use. You should select your head based on your aesthetic preferences for your avatar - 95% of the time you're in SL, your head HUD shouldn't even be attached ('cause pointless script usage - and texture usage, though that's only on your own end).

You are quite right about questioning the goal of easiness, Orwar.  What I really want is to be able to recreate Kali who was identical to my original avatar who I tried to make look like my real life face.

I'm also trying to get reinvested in SL which I sort of dropped out of last year when I retired and moved across the country.  I don't know whether it's cognitive decline or laziness or what but I'm finding it harder to learn new things.  Playing with a new alt has given me a reason to log in. 

Edited by kali Wylder

1 hour ago, Orwar said:

Start by removing an elevator from a skyscraper when nobody is looking. Just reverse the process to reinstall it.

• Haha 3

On 11/12/2021 at 4:03 AM, Rowan Amore said:

Always hated that she had them ALL turned on when you unpack and wear for the first time.  Why?

Catwa heads always have all the animations turned on by default, even with the demos, and it annoys the eff out of me. First thing I do before any other, is load the animations hud (which is separate from the Style hud) and turn them all off. Only when I'm done with the styling, I go back and turn on the two or three that I actually want.

• Like 2

• 7 months later...

necro posting update, I think I've finally got my new head!   I liked it so much I actually went into my outfits folder and made outfits for it with all my favorite clothes, then deleted the old outfits of those clothes with my old head.  I didn't use the replace links though, because I wanted to save a couple of outfits of the old me.

kalikaya0632022.3.png

• Like 7

21 hours ago, kali Wylder said:

necro posting update, I think I've finally got my new head!   I liked it so much I actually went into my outfits folder and made outfits for it with all my favorite clothes, then deleted the old outfits of those clothes with my old head.  I didn't use the replace links though, because I wanted to save a couple of outfits of the old me.

kalikaya0632022.3.png

Congratulations!! \o/

Glad you found something you really like :)

hehehehe

Is that the AK ADVX  Andro Head?

46 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

Congratulations!! \o/

Glad you found something you really like :)

hehehehe

Is that the AK ADVX  Andro Head?

No, I tried that one but it wasn't me.  This one is Lelutka's Kaya.  I've always tried to represent my real life features in SL and this one comes the closest.

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, kali Wylder said:

No, I tried that one but it wasn't me.  This one is Lelutka's Kaya.  I've always tried to represent my real life features in SL and this one comes the closest.

Wow, the Kaya? Great work, I couldn't tell at all... I use one currently as a bluish elf pretending to be a normie, and with a mature alt.

My current profile photo here also uses the Kaya, with a Heaux Dreamy kawaii mod I tweaked a little, the one that was free last Xmas.

Edited by JeromFranzic
Stupid f***ing fire tablet autocorrect lol

43 minutes ago, kali Wylder said:

Ya, I really like the lelutka heads.. I tried my hardest with the AK and  just couldn't catch a groove with it, So I kept going back to my Lelutka..

I have three of them at the moment.. The one I use the most is Lilly, because it works best for me and the looks I'm liking to make at the moment..

But also have Kaya and Ora..

I've been wanting to do something with them here recently. They just seem to have the freedom in the sliders that lines up with what I like to do..

I like the hud and the head seems to animate really well with a lot of things I use too..

I'm really glad you found your niche with a head :)

• Like 1

Does anyone know if the Lelutka Evo-X UV map is available somewhere? I have made my own skin on the SL template and would like to try converting it because I can see that at some point in the near future it's going to be impossible to find any makeup/mods etc made for non-evo-X heads. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Maitimo said:

Does anyone know if the Lelutka Evo-X UV map is available somewhere? I have made my own skin on the SL template and would like to try converting it because I can see that at some point in the near future it's going to be impossible to find any makeup/mods etc made for non-evo-X heads. 

https://lelutkasl.com/creators-page/ The Download button has the EVO X UV kit.

Edited by Blaise Glendevon
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 655 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.