Sign in to follow this  
Jo Yardley

More group role titles please

I wish they could give us more group role titles.

Sure for most sims a few titles are enough, you got owner, manager, tenant and maybe shopkeeper and that would be about it.

But for roleplay sims it would be so nice to have a few more?

Not just fun titles but even for official sim titles, there are sometimes not enough for Roleplay sims.

For instance for a city roleplay you could need roles like tenants, shopkeepers, owner, manager, police, medical staff, banker, press, church staff, guide, soldier, etc, etc.

Yes you could use icky floating texts but anyone can make those so you won't know if someone you meet has that role officially or just created the text and runs around pretending to have powers they do not.

So, yes, I think more group role titles would be awesome.

Linden Labs, how about it?

Hello Jo. I assume you mean more than 10 roles (including "owner" and "member" which can't be deleted)? If 10 roles aren't enough for you, why you don't create a new group? Deed the land to the first group for management and have the 2nd one for visitors.

Jo Yardley wrote:

Yes you could use icky floating texts but anyone can make those so you won't know if someone you meet has that role officially or just created the text and runs around pretending to have powers they do not.

The same goes for group titles. Anybody can start a group, invite two alts, and give themselves any group title they like.

Depending on what you are using your group and the roles for, you could set up your own group either custom made or with hippo groups. Iif you just want a range of different roles without extensive or detailed rights for all the different roles, that would be an option.

The problem is that there is a maximum amount of groups (my list is full) and if you create another group they don't have the same rights.

If groups had, say 20 or 25 roles/titles, it would make things a lot easier.

We use Hippo groups, but they don't have inworld chat or inworld titles that enable others to see your role.

As I said - it depends on what SL group features you are using. If Hippo groups doesn't have title tags, you could build a simple database based system that provides title tags in combination with an SL group. Just a thought.

I have run out of roles in the past too, so I agree it would be nice to have a few more.  Similar to RP, when putting on theatrical productions it is good to give the cast a tag with their character name on it and you soon get passed 10 doing that. Hover text is not an option, its horrendous.

Have you considered starting a new feature JIRA for it?

Being able to change display names more than once a week, might be a reasonable alternative.

Qwalyphi Korpov wrote:

OMG - First you got Display Names so you could do the role play without using icky floating text to say who you were.  Then you got a bunch more groups so you could have 10 x times that more roles for the role play.  Now you want this?   Is there no end to your demands?

Okay.... I can see how it would help.  Still... u just got a buncha stuffs.

I know, those crazy SL residents they're never satisfied. When will they let up so LL can do more for non-residents?

Wait...what?

Qwalyphi Korpov wrote:

hehehe - u role players get me.

The non-residents got that basic mode thing so I guess that's happening too.

I sincerely doubt role-players are the only ones using group titles, or wanting more group titles.  I know for a fact that role-players are far from the only ones using display names.

I see more titles per group as a good thing. Reduces the need for additional groups one has to join, and it reduces, overall, the number of groups in use on the grid.

Honestly, I think we'd be better off with just a built-in titler as a part of the name tag. Many people, not just RPers, use a lot of there  groups primarily, or even exclusively for the titles. If moving that functionality to a titler which anyone could use to locally store an unlimited number of titles might help SL's group chat issues by reducing the number of groups people are in, I'd be all for it.

Regardless of the official group titles, most rp sims require you to learn the other players' titles through rp anyway, not just reading a tag above their heads. So, even with only a limited number of group titles, effective rp can still occur.

I agree with that. I was told not to use names or group titles unless my character knows the other person or is able to guess the role by the outfit. If I would walk around in 1920's Berlin, I would not know the baker from the butcher unless they were standing in their shop or if they were wearing their work clothes. I would call them Meinherr as long as I would not have figured it out in RP what their job is.  Combat meters usually let you put in your own title, which would give you an infinite number of possible tags above peoples heads. Even if the rp does not involve fighting, it is worth thinking about. For example spellfire has a health, stamina and food as things to watch. Maybe it would add to the role play if the characters have to make sure they get sleep, buy food, get sick and have to see a doctor.

Role play sims are big consumers of groups and group titles. Joining a RP usually means joining two groups, one for the land so you have certain rights and another for your fraction/race. Die hard role players usually are in some council to decide on different matters of the sim, teach etc. It is not unusual to find people who are in four or five groups related to the same sim. If more titles would mean less group space that would be good. But that is for a different reason

Of course people don't need titles to tell people who they are, what their job is, etc.

You can ask or see it, part of finding out is part of realistic roleplay.

But what we need more titles for is for the official roles, that come with powers.

For instance, we have a police force, they wear uniforms but also need a title so people know they are dealing with official, group apointed officials but they also need those titles so they can eject/ban griefers, return objects, etc.

But we have a cinema, two night clubs, a bar, a cafe, theatre, etc.

All these places have one or more employees, we have a talent agency, a hospital with staff, etc, etc.

It can be very complicated to set perms so that people working in one place can do stuff there they cant elsewhere, do they get permission to change the stream or not, eject trouble makers, etc, etc.

And how do visitors know the person telling them they have powers in the sim actually isn't making stuff up?

We use group titles for all that, and there just aren't enough.

We need more not just for roleplay but simply to manage a community.

Hello,

Why you need more groupsrole?

It can be so easier. :matte-motes-big-grin-wink:

Where I am playing we are using 2 groups: Carimastadtvisitor or Carimastadtbewohner.

People must find out who you are and can ask. It works great!

Bye bye,

Anna Carlberg,

Sorry about bringing a topic back from the dead... oooooh zombie thread... scary!!!

But once more I was annoyed by the limits of SL groups.

We need about 10 just for our sim!

So I looked around Jira to see if I am the only one who thinks we could use a few more roles... and found a few jira's there.

https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/SVC-161

https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/SVC-3088

Sadly some of these go back to 2007...

But if you would like more group titles (and perhaps improved group controls in general, such as being able to chat or send messages to just one role), vote and watch these jiras.

Let your voice be heard.