Hi. I was wondering how you got the idea to Second Life and why you created the site?

Miriam345

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4698 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Hi.

I was wondering how you got the whole idea to Second Life?

And first of all, why you created the site? Did you think about people could get addicted? - Notice that this is not mean negative.

Second, these questions is to a project, so it won't go in public, only in a school..

4 answers to this question

This is not "THE" answer to your question, but don't forgive about the idea of Second Life to Philip Linden and the Burning Man ( http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Burning_Life ):

In 1999, an innovative man made a long trek from San Francisco to the sun-baked playa of an enormous, flat, dry lake bed in the Nevada high desert. He went to attend the renowned Burning Man festival where, for one week each year, 50,000 people build art, camps and communities and celebrate being who they really are. This man came back with new ideas for the virtual world he was planning; ideas about the nature of reality, creativity, identity and community. He worked some of these ideas into the very fabric of "Linden World" which eventually became what you and I know as Second Life. That man was Philip Linden

• Like 1

There are a whole bunch of YouTubes, where the founder Philip Rosedale explained. Do google them. 

As a child he wanted to do things that weren't possible like a door in his bedroom that would slide open upwards. So he made a hole in the ceiling much to the delight of his parents LOL.

He later went to MIT studying physics. Later in life he wanted to build a 3D world where people could play building like Lego blocks and physics. His first attempt was in 1999 in a garage in Linden street San Fransisco. That developed into Linden World, open to public in (i believe 2003) and later renamed Second Life.

He already was addicted to that idea being a young boy i suppose.

Well, google Youtube "Philip Rosedale" and do enjoy :)

Regards, Linda

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4698 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.